Faggala

Takeonhelicopters Controls (SA)

Considering that the standalone version of DayZ will be using the "TakeOnHelicopters" engine I would assume that it wouldn't be too hard to implement the controls of helicopters into standalone. Since this game is going for realism I think it would be a great addition having to find different manuals for different choppers to learn how to start them up and not everyone would be able to fly them. This could even force teamwork upon people that have a chopper but no pilot, so they go searching for someone who knows how to fly or something along those lines

• Like 1

who said anything about the standalone using take on helicopters engine? DayZ is using a customized version of RV2....

But I don't know how could you change the controls for different helicopters.... in the huey you yaw with the mouse and on another you yaw with the wasd keys? that doesn't make sence, I mean they should fly differently and stuff but not have different controls

Edited by IncognitoNico

lol... don't worry if you have ever played takeonhelicopters then u'll know its hella hard to fly.

Every chopper in takeonheli's starts different, fly's different. I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of ppl looking for pilots, lol.

I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of ppl looking for pilots, lol.

Or getting take on helicopters.....

DayZ is not going to be using the TakeOnHelicopters engine. It'll just use bits and pieces from a couple different engines, but mainly ARMA 2.(RV2)

Plus, it's being ridded of scripts/modding and optimized with the help of BIS.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

I didn't like Take on helicopters. Plus, the startup sequence is not that hard to do at all and you could just use the keyboard shortcuts. (Which is the same for all the helicopters, with only a repetition for some with multiple engines.)

All in all I think Take on Helicopters is a pretty bad simulation. Look how how real helicopters fly, land, take off, etc... Rotor wash in TOH is just silly. Inability to control throttle is also silly.

I'd much rather have the DayZ styled helicopter controls.

You can combine TOH and ArmA II in a way that some helicopters in arma have the flight mechanics of TOH if i recall correctly, so i guess it could be done if the RV2.5 isnt dramatically different.

I would also like a similar helicopter controls like on ToH, even if i haven't played the game as i am not a fan of flying simulations. Anyway, People shouldn't be able to fly helicopters as easy as they can now. I really really just want less helis in the air and if i see one it'll be like seeing a UFO or something.

I'm with Dreygar on his last post: The ground vehicle controls are way too lurchy and unresponsive, I can't even name the number of times I've smashed in to something that I shouldn't have because I've driven cars and one ton trucks in real life and I keep expecting the vehicles in a "realistic simulator" (Arma 2) to respond in a similar fashion. Right now it's like trying to drive a shopping cart downhill with bricks duct taped to the sides of it in random and incoherent places.

Everyone being able to fly helicopters isn't unrealistic in the slightest, helicopters generally have the equivalent of a car owner's manual (that big phonebook with a picture of your car on it in the glove box you never read) somewhere in the event that the person responsible for flying the helicopter is incapacitated and/or incapable of flying the machine that outlines the basics of getting the helicopter off the ground and safely landing it as well as what to do in the event that shit turns sideways. Or for people who know how to fly a helicopter properly but aren't familiar with the model/specifications of the machine they are getting in to.

So it's safe to assume that everyone who jumps in to a chopper grabs said manual, gives it a quick once over and then you're good to fly the machine.

Everyone being able to fly helicopters isn't unrealistic in the slightest, helicopters generally have the equivalent of a car owner's manual (that big phonebook with a picture of your car on it in the glove box you never read) somewhere in the event that the person responsible for flying the helicopter is incapacitated and/or incapable of flying the machine that outlines the basics of getting the helicopter off the ground and safely landing it as well as what to do in the event that shit turns sideways. Or for people who know how to fly a helicopter properly but aren't familiar with the model/specifications of the machine they are getting in to.

So it's safe to assume that everyone who jumps in to a chopper grabs said manual, gives it a quick once over and then you're good to fly the machine.

Hehe, it's not that easy. :) Even if someone could figure out how to start the helicopter, and get it off the ground. I wouldn't expect them to live very long.