seannybgoode

dark is TOO FUCKING DARK -> dayz devs listen ffs

And you say you've never been killed? Bitch' date=' please. Now we know you're full of shit.

[/quote']

now you start putting words in my mouth.. I said I've never been killed on a pitch black night while using flares/chemlights..

anyway.. you are complaining about pitch black nights because they have taken the option to boost gamma away from you and you are too scared to start using available light sources because you might get shot at..

I'm done in this thread

Bye, your opinion will not be missed.

What are we pissed off again that we can't tweek gamma to turn night into day?

What are we pissed off again that we can't tweek gamma to turn night into day?

I don't like how my options are:

"Can't see shit"

or

"Throw a big red "shoot me" beacon that attracts zombies like moths"

and there's a reason people are already calling the flashlight the suicide light.

Seriously, have you ever been outside at night?

Even without light pollution, and with clouds on a new moon it's not this dark unless you're fucking blind.

I feel like the only people who support this are people with NVG's, because it gives them such an obscenely huge advantage. Night should still be fucking dark, yes, but not to the level it's at now.

EDIT: I hate how discussion on features that would make this game fucking playable gets turned into "go back to cod carebears" for anyone who thinks that maybe, just maybe, this shit's fucking retarded. Legitimate difficulty is awesome. Being fucking blind is stupid, and the only people defending it are people who have a huge advantage because of it. Wait till your ass gets killed, I'm gonna laugh when you come back and QQ.

Oh no, I understand that it's crazy dark out, but it's only crazy dark out when the moon isn't up, or it's very cloudy. Right now, the moon in game is set to a "new moon" cycle. It's going to be dark as hell until it's out of that phase. This has been the only time I've ever wish I've had NVG's. Right now, the only way to navigate it without throwing flares/using flashlights is by GPS.

Also, not sure how me linking the thread about Rocket saying the new lighting changes has nothing to do with DayZ staff/mod is irrelevant. Again, if you have problems with what BI has done with the lighting, bring it up on their forums.

Yes I've experienced total blackout 5-10 times in my life, it's an eye opening and wild experience. I even used a g-shock watch as a light scource, because it made the difference from being totally blind to seeing shapes 3-4 meters away.

I don't have NVGs nor does most other players and I really don't worry about them much, since I never raid NVAF at night. At night I rely on my map/compas for navigation, listen to the surface and my suroundings. I also rely on chemlights, road flares and my flashlight, when I hear moaning from zombies.

Running with flares is generally a really bad idea. Not only because you're a big stupid target for bandits or because flares attract zombies, but running is probably the worst thing you can do near build up areas. When I use road flares, I throw them as far as I can and generally stay out of the light. I use them to draw zombies away from where I'm going and to create sharper siluettes, when I'm navigating inside the city. If you throw a couple all over the area, obviously you'll draw some attention to yourself, but road flares will completely bleed out NVGs and as long as you always keep moving low and fast and always keep close to solid cover, you should be equipped to handle any contact.

Chemlights are great for lighting up your immediate area or if you're pointman in a group. Chemlights are very obvious at close range encounters, but at 1-200 meters they are easy to miss. At the first sign of trouble, you should drop/extinguish the chemlight.

I don't use flashlight alot and only for short flashes, either to sweep a deer stand before I sneak in, provide light for someone else or flash in the direction of teammates lost in the dark. Flashlights are also easy to miss, especially if you keep it pointed low towards the ground.

Anyways the vast majority of my deaths and kills have happened durring dayligth. If someone spots your first, whether it's at day or night, you're usually in the mercey of their level of skill and humanity. Whether it's day or night, the way you use cover and consealment, makes a really big difference in your own survival.

Don't think everyone is using NVGs at night just because they are able to outsmart and outmaneuver you under the same limited conditions. Finally if you never play at night, switch servers at the sight of dusk, you'll never develop your nocturnal skillset.

Don't cheat yourself of an experience, because you're afraid of the dark.

There is a easy solution for the dark nights.

Arma got real moon cycles, so all what is need to be done is:

Find a got summer date with full moon (and a time in the night where the moon is up high), and voila a NOT SO DARK night.

This must be done from the modder as standard date when starting maps.

If some one starts a new mission in the editor it always got a date with dark night, just find one with full moon..

It's dark because the street lights are not working.

E: So instead of brightening the night' date=' devs could try to fix those damn street lamps.

[/quote']

ACTUALLY they do intend to do things like this. They intend to do side missions where you can rebuild generators and such. I'm very, very interested to see this implemented. I do like right now though that in some towns, like Cherno and Berezino, there are barrels you can light on fire. We need more of them in the meantime while we wait for the generator missions.

I support this thread and do feel there should be some natural ambient lighting. The way the thread was started and the way the idea was approached was unnecessary and gave no proper ideas or insight to the problem, it was more or less a rant.

When I was younger, I did a lot of camping. The furthest I've ever gone was upstate New York, near the Cat Skill mountains. No major cities near by, no street lights, but with the stars and even a new moon (that's when there's no moon...right? lol) you can see something. Humans have a natural 'night vision' your eyes adapt to low light situations in nature, the only time you cant see your hand in front of you face, is if your locked in a room with no windows.

For a game (I consider DayZ a game, because of its unique play style and the amount of time and effort that has gone into it) that strives itself on being very realistic and survival oriented, it just doesn't make sense for night time to look like someone blindfolded you. Especially when the game location is centered in a low population and a non-industrial area. Meaning that little pollution usually yields better skies (Yes there are factories here and there...but it's not LA or NYC).

I do like the idea that side missions plan on being implemented to turn back on man made lights, very cool. But that doesnt do anything unless your near a road or city. I also don't think the natural ambient lighting should render flares, chem lights, flash lights, etc. uselss (I actually am a big fan of flares...call me crazy :P) . I not saying we should be able to see for miles at night with natural lighting...but give us something!

As is said if someone could change the ingame date to a full moon day then arma nights can be really bright. (if its not cloudy)

My complaint is why is it I cant run with a flash light pointed in my direction of travel? You have to slow walk to keep it pointed straight or else your character waves it around like he's trying to direct traffic. Please if you're going to make the night so damn dark then fix this issue with flash lights so I dont have to walk across the map at dead slow just to be able to see.

The discussion about real nights not being as dark as the nights in the game is not really relevant... Real nights can be pretty much pitch black. Just head far north away from the light pollution during the fall and a new moon. Then go to a forest and try walking there with no light and see how far you get before smacking your face right into some tree. (Now, I can honestly tell you... its not very far.) :P

You just really need to get far enough from any light pollution. (A zombie apocalypse world should probably explain why there is no light pollution)

So, its not a matter of whether its realistic or not... It is realistic, but only in specific conditions.

But, the real issue with it isn't really about the darkness level. Its just that currently to deal with the darkness, the player gets punished way way too much to warrant playing at those pitch black nights (unless they don't care about surviving or have happened to find NVGs).

- Due to the server time sync bug, other players may have daylight when you are in total darkness -> you'll end up dead.

- The bandits that have NVG goggles are likely to hunt for people during night. The NVGs give a massive advantage. -> You'll end up dead.

- The controls for throwing/dropping/extinguishing the glowsticks/flares, etc. are too akward for any fast immediate reactions when being shot at, etc. -> You'll end up dead.

- The flashlight/flares/etc. unrealistically shine through all of the building walls, etc. You cannot even use them inside a house without illuminating and alerting the whole damn neighbourhood -> You'll end up dead.

- The flashlight cannot be pointed even remotely forward while running. You need to walk slowly to use it. -> Thus becoming a sitting duck, just begging to get shot in the head. And end up dead.

But on the positive side:

+ It really has a great zombie survival atmosphere. If you are on a fresh respawn with nothing to lose, its worth trying out. It will make your new life much shorter though.

So yeah, I guess its mostly the noobs, possibly some other fresh respawns, and the NVG guys that play at the night time servers. If the devs were to fix some of those issues at least partially, then it might make sense for the actual survivor-players that have no NVG to play at the night servers too.

The night is way too fucking dark. It's either keep hopping to "daytime only" servers, or try to play with my monitor turned off. There's challenging, then there's just plain stupid. Having a pitch-black screen is just fucking stupid.

NO

NIGHTS SHOULD BE DARK. EVEN IF THIS IS NOT A REALISTIC AMOUNT OF DARKNESS ITS THE AMOUNT THE GIVES YOU A REALISTIC AMOUNT OF FEAR AND CONFUSION

here is a pic of my day z nights...

http://i.imgur.com/crFUJ.jpg (obviously just a black box, but basically the same.)

i think its just me, because i was playing with my friends and they had to call out if i was walking into a wall or not. so it led me to believe it was an issue with either my settings or hardware.

If you want to see true nighttime, play Firefall. You can see silhouettes, and you have a flashlight for making sense or looking up close, but you can still tell dirt from rock. Anyone that sticks to the "find NVGs" bullshit is an idiot, pure and simple. That's a 0.11% chance of ever happening, and really ruins the whole point of the game. The more rocket continues to ignore "balance" the easier he makes it for bandits.

Either Nighttime needs an overhaul, or NVGs need to go. To ignore this obvious DESIGN flaw is not only stupid, but shows what kind of gameplay is preferred: Murdering the helpless for points.

I think that either NVG need to go, or night made less dark.. simple as that..

Arguments like blinding NVG's with flares is IRL are just dumb.

There are plenty of light sources. Be prepared for night time.

The discussion about real nights not being as dark as the nights in the game is not really relevant... Real nights can be pretty much pitch black. Just head far north away from the light pollution during the fall and a new moon. Then go to a forest and try walking there with no light and see how far you get before smacking your face right into some tree. (Now' date=' I can honestly tell you... its not very far.) :P

[/quote']

Dude. Not true. There are nights that are pitch black, but your eyes adjust even if there's just startlight.

And b) REAL NIGHTS have moonlight most of the time. When's the last time you saw the moon in Dayz?

I am to the point where I think if Rocket released a patch that gave you a big black dildo to shove up your asses, some of the kids that posted on here would say its an amazing update.

Seriously, set your fanboism aside. You can't say "Oh he is trying to make it realistic" in other threads against Rocket making something too realistic, then come to a thread like this and say "Oh I don't think it needs to be realistic, lets have pitch black nights" in a response to making something not realistic at all. I think some people just want Rocket Cock up their asses. Sorry hipsters, theirs the door. But don't move too much in the doorway you might break your leg. But that just adds more to the SUSPENSE and FEAR right? Please, there is a difference between hardcore and completely stupid.

I think some people just want Rocket Cock up their asses.

They have plenty of posts sucking Rocket Cock on here.

Dude, slow down. You've only posted twice on the forums and you've already spent your oral and anal sodomy tokens. You need to save some of those for later when you're in a real argument.

I think some people just want Rocket Cock up their asses.

They have plenty of posts sucking Rocket Cock on here.

Dude' date=' slow down. You've only posted twice on the forums and you've already spent your oral and anal sodomy tokens. You need to save some of those for later when you're in a real argument.

[/quote']

LOL

I am to the point where I think if Rocket released a patch that gave you a big black dildo to shove up your asses' date=' some of the kids that posted on here would say its an amazing update.

Seriously, set your fanboism aside. You can't say "Oh he is trying to make it realistic" in other threads against Rocket making something too realistic, then come to a thread like this and say "Oh I don't think it needs to be realistic, lets have pitch black nights" in a response to making something not realistic at all. I think some people just want Rocket Cock up their asses. Sorry hipsters, theirs the door. But don't move too much in the doorway you might break your leg. But that just adds more to the SUSPENSE and FEAR right? Please, there is a difference between hardcore and completely stupid.

[/quote']

Man on man love aside here, I agree. There's too many people here who either a) have some sort of advantage to the nights being #000000 black.

or b) are just noob fanboys who all actually just play during daylight anyway..

I want to play at night, but with a screen that is composed of #000000 pixels, a game it does not make.

I agree that Night time is way too dark. And using lights of any kind is kinda suicide. In my opinion I think they should make the outside like the moon nights. But from what I hear its not DayZ's fault. What would be awsome is give lighting items a use in dark places. Make outside playable. But make inside houses, market buildings, hotels, etc, etc pitch black so to loot buildings you have to use chem lights or flashlights or tourches. When the electricity goes out in my city yea its black as hell in the house. But as soon as i go outside i can see a good amount.

Yeah the main problem I think is moonlight. So, server time's need to be synced. I know of servers that are daytime one minute, then the admins want dark so they restart and it's pitch black.

All server times should be locked to GMT, so all servers are night at the same time and all are day at the same time.

At least then we'd know when to expect moonrise, we'd know when daytime is, we'd know when it's gonna be pitch dark.