Sign in to follow this  
Spunkmire

Night Time .... lets take it seriously.

Now that most dedicated DayZ players have committed themselves to a private server , we have to take the day / night cycle into consideration.

We don't always get a chance to play when its daylight, and we arnt going to miss a chance to play, just if it means playing in the dark.

At first I was worried that players with NVG would have a distinct advantage, and I didn't like that so I chose a server that had banned NVG.

Great I thought , at last a level playing field, where clever use of chemlights, roadflares, torches and starshells could reward clever players.

But all to often I would find other players getting the jump on me ... BAM. No questions asked.

So I stopped using them until absolutely necessary, but still, there I am , in the dark , no light visible and BAM. No questions asked

What was going on , how was I being seen, I sure could not see them ...........?!

Then one night, one of my murderers felt guilty/lonely I guess and stared a side chat with me.

"How did you see me"I asked in all innocence?

"Oh, I just changed my video settings, I have a great video card, I can see everything at night".

Great .... back to square one with night play.

So the point of this post,

Rocket, please disable the ability to alter the games Video settings, or at least greatly limit there adjustment potential.

• Like 10

Most settings will be forced server-side, such as gameplay and graphical settings (view distance, shadow distance, etc…). The exact nature of this and specific settings is very much subject to change, but this will be a significant departure from how it is currently with the mod.
Hopefully that "gamma exploit" can also be locked down in the same way.

The gamma / brightness would still have to be set up at least once. But in-game, LOCKDOWN.

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

EDIT: Don't forget to vote. See link in my sig.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 5

Hopefully that "gamma exploit" can also be locked down in the same way.

The gamma / brightness would still have to be set up at least once. But in-game, LOCKDOWN.

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

EDIT: Don't forget to vote. See link in my sig.

I'm for the Gamma thing if they can pull it off. But wouldn't someone just be able to change their settings in windows, or their monitor settings to overcome this? I mean it may be something we can't change.

I'm kinda against locking view distance. After a point, models get so small and your chance of hitting anything even if you can see it is so minute that extreme long distance viewing doesn't offer any benefit anyway. If you lock it too short, people with decent graphics cards get punished with crappier graphics. If you lock it longer, people with average or below graphics cards get punished with lower framerates.

Or just imagine that it simulates that some people have considerable better night vision than others.

I find it hard to imagine that a game like DayZ would be better by limiting player choice, even in graphics settings.

it cant be fixed cause they can't change the setting you have on your video card. the video card controlls the game application. there is nothing in the game video settings they could do to fix that. as it stand right now even at default settings the game has lighting issues even in the day time. it they reduced the allowed setting in the game itself it would be too dark even in the day light.

if i am being honest here using the settings on your video card to improve night vision is a cleaver use of your machine. i mean come on NVG have a .11% drop rate in barraks and i think its about .43% at a crash site. so yeah people came up with a alternative but most did so they could run around at night with less people on and find NVG. cause finding them when 30 people are on is a pain.

If they made it so that night-time wasn't so unrealistically dark, nobody would turn up gamma. The flashlights should have a bit wider beam and be less bright, so they wouldn't be so visible to high tech enemies.

Edited by GotBeanZ

If they made it so that night-time wasn't so unrealistically dark, nobody would turn up gamma. The flashlights should have a bit wider beam and be less bright, so they wouldn't be so visible to high tech enemies.

That made me lol....come to the countryside once and don't always stay in the well lit cities all the time...

..balanced flashlight...hmmmm

Edited by Enforcer

If they really wanted to be annoying they could flush the LUT table every 30 seconds or so :D

For the most "immediate" exploiters, locking down video settings while ingame would be more than enough i believe.

i said this early on all you have to do is keep and make it so that every server runs day and night cycle

either make street lights work and add night vison to binos or make night vision more common place.

night is a key part of the game which isnt being used by many. most servers run only light 24/7 and nothing better than running around in dark with zombies and players chasing hunting you down.

ACtually even tought they DO lock down the settings people can use the current bug dayz have now to get to see at night. Being injured changes your settings adn you can see at better at night sicne your not seing the colors.

Having natural ninja abilities, night time play has always had the same result for me, killed quickly every time!

If you play at night, I recommend you play in teams and you will find it to be absolutely fantastic and scary experience. It really is that good in the dark with your friends!

they cant do anything, each and every monitor have a gamma/brightness setting, and you can change it from Nview also or ati catalyst control center, locking it down only makes the gamma transition take the people doing it 15 seconds instead of 5.

If you're really that scared of the dark, even when it's not real, then of course you should be allowed to cheat.

People are so inconsiderate to the plight of these poor children.

Shame.

• Like 2

Unrealistically dark? I hate to break it to you, but the night is dark. It would incredibly dark in Chernarus given there's no artificial light, no street lamps. The level of light at night in DayZ is realistic and should be kept that way.

Edited by ComradeClash

Yeah if you ever been in the COUNTRYSIDE is pitched black at night. Not in your city/town or suburbs or whatever where there is loads of artificial light. When there is no moon its totally dark like DayZ and when the moon if full you get a nice little light, again like DayZ. I think they nailed it tbh, I really love the dark, I just dont like the fact that Im at such a massive disadvantage against NVGs :( This kinda ruins it a bit for me. But I've had some of the most atmospheric fun playing at night with just flares, chemlights and a flashlight :D

It's dark as hell during 10pm-2am, after that the moon starts to light the night. And as early as 5am, the sun starts to rise. Not that bad.

Flares and the hatchet are really useful in the night time. If you can't see shit and you're being attacked, swing your axe around.

No way; don't lock anything.

I rely solely on my Intel HD Graphics internal card (one of the most basic; certainly not an nVidia or all the snazzy cards many of you have) and have no issues setting the gamma setting to the highest possible to be able to play at night. The only times it doesn't work well is when it is very heavily cloudy. I do most of my gaming at night because of the advantage over the zombies, not the players.

Edited by SwissArmy

I gotta say that locking gamma isn't a bad idea.

I gotta say that locking gamma isn't a bad idea.

except it has no value, it litelarry only takes 10 seconds longer to adjust it compared to what we have now.

Gamma adjustment just works when there is moonlight up. If it´s rainy or there are just many clouds you wont see anything even with gamma up to max.

Wont be a good change but a workaround to just set rainy weather/cloudy sky at night times.

Whether or not there are further exploits. Locking gamma in-game is perfectly reasonable.

If people still choose to change their nVidia control panel settings to give themselves an advantage, they should realise they are sub-par players, who resort to cheating to get by.

An overarching solution would be to make the default game so utterly fucking dark, you HAVE to use every gamma-boost under the sun, just to see normally.

Whether or not there are further exploits. Locking gamma in-game is perfectly reasonable.

If people still choose to change their nVidia control panel settings to give themselves an advantage, they should realise they are sub-par players, who resort to cheating to get by.

An overarching solution would be to make the default game so utterly fucking dark, you HAVE to use every gamma-boost under the sun, just to see normally.

I gues it is as good time for me to say this as any.

The actual gamma settings, can have a huge impact, depending on what tehcnology your screen uses, the color saturation etc. if people prefer to change the gamma it is not a cheat, however if the dev locks gamma, that is just an attempt to curb people who want to see where they go without transmitting their presence to the whole world. IMHO locking gamma, would propably result in people actually developing a faster way to change it, hell i allready prepared for it, my old G-11 now has 2 buttons dedicated for increasing gamma from the nvidia control panel. each tap of the button takes it to the next 10% increment, i no longer have to go to menu ☺