seraphqc (DayZ)

remove helicopter or nerf it

Well here is my point of view, after several months of game dayz I look at the pros and cons of having helicopter in the game. Yes it is fun, traveling fast, we can find the crashing site and find the bases of the other player they put in the time to do. In fact there are not really good for a helicopter in my opinion. I read a forum ROCKET he says he does not want to put light in the city because it would be illogical, here is my point. First, Who has a helicopter pilot's license in real life? if a very small number of people they have a license. if I was in a crisis of zombie I would not get me a helicopter because it will be illogical view that I can not drive a helicopter. then we would have implanted a system of skill initially as a bit jagged alliance has it gives you a series of questions that predetermines your specialty but we change the subject. we could increase the level of research by removing the helicopter, it would eliminate the abuse of admin or cheaters and increase the level of very rare object and survival or remove army helicopter and add civilian helicopter or helicopter reporter

I await your response thank you

p.s I want your opinion

I don't think the heli is too much of a threat. If there is only one on the map and its as weak as a huey is (can be taken down by small arms like AK's, MK48s) it should stay. I would think that helis should be harder to operate like they are in Take on Helicopters because that would mean that only some players would be good enough to fly and could trade that for group protection/items.

I like having helicopters in the game and don't agree they should be removed, I do agree there are some balance issues (specifically with being able to find camps/vehicles/crash sites too easily) but think these issues can be sorted out without removing or nerfing the helicopters.

1. Camo netting for vehicles.

2. Chopper Crash sites spawning randomly, not just on server restarts.

• Like 4

The only major problem I see with the huey in dayZ, it that it's the only vehicle (on the vanilla Chernarus game) that weapons (in this case mounted M240) can be fired from.

And even then, that makes it a problem with the OTHER vehicles, NOT the helo.

Crash sites can be fully taken advantage of, and that sucks. But it's still a "first come, first served" scenario.

With regards to camps being found, I believe anything with camouflage should be tagged as such by the game, and only rendered properly within a certain range.

It's really hard to represent the function of camo properly in CGI. I think this might serve to simulate it a bit better.

EDIT: Don't bite my head of for suggesting it, it's just a thought.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 2

I dont think the helicopters should be removed (functioning not crashed).

I do believe if they were more simulator oriented to operate I would imgaine alot less flight as it would be harder to get it into the air and land again.

I dont think the huey is by any means OP as I honestly have yet to see someone get a legitimate air to surface kill in game and there is Mil areas so Mil chopper is good in my book.

The civis added into city areas of interest would be nice like ontop the hotel or somewhere relevant to where it might be IRL.

Crash Sites could be better IMO if they weren't limited to the specific areas for instance if they spawned in addition to the usual in a city where one might have a good chance of going down or even in the woods to make them harder to locate.

Helicopters (in manageable numbers...usually one, or at most 2 per server) are fine in my opinion.

It's easier to operate and maintain if you play with a group because that's the nature of that piece of equipment. It adds another dimension to the game in terms of pecking order in the food chain. I do not think it is out of place in DayZ and quite plausible to the scenario.

I play solo.... so getting and maintaining a helo is probably somewhat out of my league but I have been hunted by one in DayZ and I can tell now it is one of the most nerve wracking and exciting gaming experiences. I hope Rocket retain the helo in future updates and in the standalone.

i still believe the currently available chopper is too large for the scope of DayZ. I would prefer a nimble little civie chopper.

This is NEVER going to happen. Peoples ultimate goal is to get the chopper cause it's just so powerful and has lots of good uses!

I think the helis are fine, only thing would be realism wise most players can find one and straight off the bat know how to fly it which is unrealistic. They can start up arma 2 OA, go to armory and practice as much as they want so when they find one in DayZ they are good to go. If suddenly apocalypse happened for real I doubt people would be running to choppers, starting them up and flying off like a pro.

I think I would be able to start one up (if I had the keys) and fly to safety but most everyday people probably wouldnt know what to do.

Point is i think it should be harder to fly to make it balanced. I can fly fast and low a couple meters above forest trees easily, maybe too easily. should be way harder.

Heli's are easy pickings, one shot from any .50 cal sniper rifle to the engine or rotor will take it down. Take out the pilot and the heli will go down, just even damage the rotor or engine and it will go down. And saying it's armed I say so what, those guy's on the door guns are easy pickings for any decent sniper, I've taken a few out myself before I went for the rotor to take the helo down.

@chris529, people have been playing arma long before Dayz came out so is it not reasonable to think just maybe they learned how to fly in arma. I've seen plenty of our guy's who don't fly try it out and no sooner have they taken off they crash, don't even think about asking them to land cause it won't go well. Most just give up cause flying in arma is not as easy as you make out add to that people shooting 50cals at you and it gets a lot more difficult.

I think the huey is fine, would be nice to see an littlebird as well :thumbsup:

If your camp is discovered from the air or you are shot by the heli.. you are doing something wrong. I have never been fired upon by a heli (and there is 6 helis on our server)... and my personal camps have never been found.. (only my clan camp have been found, but I cant really control that since so many ppl use it).

Also... it's a piece of piss to take down a heli even with small arms like the others say.

I really don't see the problem here tbh ( :

Edited by brynje

I think part of the problem of being able to find camps and crash sites too easily is because the heli's speeds are realistic, while the map size is not realistic.

It needs to be a light helicopter that doesn't go 300 kph if you ask me. The reason for that is because you can cross the map quite fast with the current heli.

I dont spend as much time on the forums as most people....but i find it so ridiculous that people try to get there idea across with the lame tag of realism or in your case "illogical"

You better reload your axe with 10000000 swings.Because after i run in sprint for a hour..eat 10 tins of beans and chicken stake,brake my leg from steping off the 2nd step in the barn and shoot up morphine to recalcify my broken bones instantly .shoot a unarmored person in the heart with a DMR and they run away with shock.eat 10 more tins of beens and drink 10 cans/4 letters of softdrink just so there's none for the next person.crash, go from 60kmh to 0 in 0.001 of a second and walk away or drive on a bridge and get flown in the air randomly...after all that i want to be able to jump in a helicopter and be exactly the same in real life..because this isn't a game..this is LIFE!.

That being said im sure there are legitimate augments as to why helicopters can be removed...But using a post by rocket about lights in a city being illogical. by saying flying should be more realistic its "logical"?..

To me it just makes you look butt hurt about helicopters.

Sorry for the tone, but honestly man you provided no legit reason why helis should be removed..

as far as " it would eliminate the abuse of admin or cheaters and increase the level of very rare object and survival or remove army helicopter and add civilian helicopter or helicopter reporter"

I think the only way it will reduce the number of "cheaters and abusive admins" is by driving people away from the game ..(And it wouldnt stop the cheaters...you would just see a increase in non dayz vehicles being spawned)I also trust ROCKET if he dose change the games vehicles(or anything for that matter) it will be for the best of the game for the vision he has with the final product

How about providing a constrictive idea..like making helicopters only usabil when someone is in the fly chief chair? or what ever its called..or making the guns on the side require ammo? Or one that fits in with your take on "realism".disabling or tweeking the auto hover?..

"then we would have implanted a system of skill initially as a bit jagged alliance has it gives you a series of questions that predetermines your specialty but we change the subject."

Not sure if you mean the players personal skill or implementing some sort of in game class system.if done correctly i think classes would be a great idea

• Like 2

Nobody read that helicopters might work something like in TOH in the Standalone, I guess. TOH makes it more advanced, and honestly, helicopters arent OP. You can find camps and crash sites easily, yeah, but maintaining the helicopter, keeping it hidden, refueling it, all that takes work too (especially when youre only one person)

All in all it´s not OP.

I think author haven't had a chopper yet. And have no idea what is it like to maintain a helicopter. It is constantly pain in the ass to have enough spare parts, to hide it and to have enough fuel. And these two m240... You cant hit anything but ground with it while flying. Not to mention you cant reload them before server restart.

The only advantage a heli provides is locating crash sites and camps on low pop servers.

I'd say about 70% of the time if im in a chopper on a high pop server I either die in a gunner seat, bail on a chopper being shot down, or get shot at while on the ground. The helis get so much attention and take on a ton of fire from all players.

Its hardly OP. And I agree with the post above me from SystemFailure - the chopper can be more of a pain in the ass than a benefit.

yes you are right on some points, I do not fly because when I try I crash, but having said that the maintaining of it must be a pain in the ass it is true, I talking about the fact that it was too easy to fly over the crash site when they do not appear randomly or base camp that people created. Ok lets say that helicopter but were slowed or that implements a system of camo netting, but there are many on the forums. and to answer about the topic of skill I think, when you create a character has a series of questions but not give you the skills but gives you a starter kit or a radius location, eg that did your character in real life (A. mechanic) = toolbox (B. nurse) = bandage or morphine (C.soldat) = army of clothing or a sleeping bag or camo netting. what do you think about that?

Or one that fits in with your take on "realism".disabling or tweeking the auto hover?..

I really like the idea of disabling autohover. Most people would be absolutely unable to fly then.

Also it would take most people about 5 minutes to land on a flat field, much less Rog castle.

To effectively simulate in-game the fact that IRL you need training and experience to fly a helicopter they should make it very hard to operate a chopper in game.

Flying in DayZ should not be effectively possible with only a keyboard and mouse. Require the use of nice joysticks to be able to fly in DayZ. Then only those players that not only spend the money to buy this equipment but must also spend the time in-game to learn how to fly will be the only ones that can use helicopters. This makes the heli much more rare because even if you fix one not many people will be able to fly it.

To effectively simulate in-game the fact that IRL you need training and experience to fly a helicopter they should make it very hard to operate a chopper in game.

Flying in DayZ should not be effectively possible with only a keyboard and mouse. Require the use of nice joysticks to be able to fly in DayZ. Then only those players that not only spend the money to buy this equipment but must also spend the time in-game to learn how to fly will be the only ones that can use helicopters. This makes the heli much more rare because even if you fix one not many people will be able to fly it.

Making it a little harder to fly is one thing but to require a joystick is just crazy. This is not a flight sim. I understand it has some flight sim blood in it but thats not what it is.

If flying choppers in DayZ is like flying choppers in ArmA2, you almost need a chopper license to be able to pull it off, lol. I wonder how many DayZ players with no ArmA experience did all the hard work of finding and rebuilding a chopper only to crash it in their first attempt at take off?

That would be a bit rude if this happened but wont. Sounds like you have a joystick ;) .I think the one thing dayz is going to keep is that EVERYONE has a chance to do ANYTHING..If you stumble onto a helicopter in the bush you should be able to TRY and fly it away..

I have a computer racing wheel, should every car need a racing wheel to work? i think not..

I think alot of people forget that changes that exclude a group of people from doin something(only joysticks for flying, only engi class can fly ect ect)..or removing something altogether, is less constrictive then changing, tweeking how it currently is..

But most of all EVERYONE should be able to do EVERYTHING to some capacity

IRL i may not be able to fly a helicopter. but im sure i could mash buttons and fly it into the ground

Flying in DayZ should not be effectively possible with only a keyboard and mouse. Require the use of nice joysticks to be able to fly in DayZ. Then only those players that not only spend the money to buy this equipment but must also spend the time in-game to learn how to fly will be the only ones that can use helicopters.
I have a Light-gun in the cupboard.

Nobody should be able to use firearms unless they have one.

• Like 1