glasscasket

... worried about standalone :(

Yes you are very correct in that diseases and weapon degradation will be annoying to the player.But you have to remember though that DayZ took a chance by adding in having to eat and drink and to stay warm and not one person has complained yet about these features....that most gaming developers considered "merely an annoyance" ;) .For me the more annoyances that are added in the better since you will be constantly having to accomplish stuff to stay alive and not have time to sit back and wonder "now what".The best times in Dayz are when you need things as we all know.

Also,weapon degradation from what I gather is just misfires.An annoyance that can be fixed with some cleaning and maintenance.And all these annoyances and needed items may force alot of the good players we have now to actually start resorting to bad deeds to survive. :murder: Will you stay a good player???

• Like 1

lol this is kind of reminding me of far cry 2..

Weapon degradation?

Disease?

At any case, personally, I will just wait and see.

Is that good or bad??

I really liked Far Cry 2, if anything I wanted that game to be more hardcore. That was one of the few games that pushed the boundries of what people expected from commercial game and was heavily critisized. People seem to like being spoon fed for some reason.

why would you shoot someone in the chest and not the face?

It's an example.

Just because you're supposed to aim for the face, that doesn't mean you can make the damage so low that body-shots are useless.

I don't think we're dumb, but unless we actively seek to push the boundaries and make mistakes, we're not going to break new territory and move from being an interesting concept to a great game. This means we need to be prepared to make mistakes.

Will diseases work well? Will the new inventory system be better? Will weapon/clothing degradation be a worthwhile feature or just annoying? I don't know, and I don't think anyone does. That's why we do them, because they're interesting concepts. We try them, we see what works.

Construction + Vehicles require huge amounts of programmer time. Diseases - the required functionality is entirely already in game therefore it simply requires some designer time. Things are done in order mainly because of the workload they represent. Construction + Vehicle changes represent entirely new mechanics that aren't core the experience. Inventory + weapon customization/degradation + clothing + item spawning are all core mechanics that have been entirely reworked from the ground up ... they are CORE mechanics - so that is where we start.

DayZ development will continue till at least this time next year. As I said in the tumblr post, this is merely the end of the beginning.

This is just my opinion but I think that clothing and weapon degradation (especially clothing) would be a waste of time. I don't think it would be a fun or suspenseful concept like diseases would, although you could take it to far, but degradation would just become annoying after a while.

lol this is kind of reminding me of far cry 2..

Weapon degradation?

Disease?

At any case, personally, I will just wait and see.

Glad you reminded me of that! Weapon's degradation I like, if cleaning kits are available, so that maintenance avoids the problem. But disease in Far Cry was terribly annoying, even though it was super easy to deal with.

Glad you reminded me of that! Weapon's degradation I like, if cleaning kits are available, so that maintenance avoids the problem. But disease in Far Cry was terribly annoying, even though it was super easy to deal with.

By annoying you mean it was inconvenient. It interrupted your game at crucial moments, potentially changing your state from one of control, to one of uncertainty. This in my mind is a good thing.

When it's ready, and not a day before. Anything less would be less than what anyone (including myself) deserves.

Just ask David Braeben if he would have rather delayed Frontier First Encounters before it was released. It was a great game, but a disaster on release because it wasn't ready.

So does this mean the "Before the end of the year" target is out now?

By annoying you mean it was inconvenient. It interrupted your game at crucial moments, potentially changing your state from one of control, to one of uncertainty. This in my mind is a good thing.

No, by annoying I mean it was just annoying. It served nothing, as it was easy enough to get the meds. I don't think it ever interrupted the game for me at crucial moments. It wasn't like the challenge of having the factions regularly attack you - that was fun - instant firefight. There is nothing fun about getting sick. Mind you I played it only a year ago, so they may have patched out its effects by then. But if it would have been difficult to meds and would have interrupted me at key moments, I would have stopped playing. I'm all for hard opponents, but a mechanism that makes me unable to react to them the way disease would - not into that.