Sign in to follow this  
despair (DayZ)

Standalone december release is alpha or full game?

December is the alpha release. It will be heavily discounted to people that want to buy it in the alpha stage and then it will be released at full price (still a low price point though) when the final version is finished.

I´m going to guess the Alpha, it´d be strange if the full game was released when we have no news of the Alpha yet.

Edit: I hate you Fraggle.

Edited by morgan32

Thank you for asking instead of assuming.

I'm expecting a crapload of people coming to the forums and complaining about how the game is still clearly unfinished.

Standalone =/= Full release

(=/= means 'does not equal', for the uneducated.)

The December release will still be just an Alpha. DayZ will be developed the same way as Minecraft.

Sold cheap in Alpha stage, the price gradually getting higher and all future updates and patches will be entirely free.

Edit; And I'm posting this despite the fact that I saw Fraggle's post before even starting to type. Because my explanation is superior. >:C

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

Thank you for asking instead of assuming.

I'm expecting a crapload of people coming to the forums and complaining about how the game is still clearly unfinished.

Standalone =/= Full release

(=/= means 'does not equal', for the uneducated.)

The December release will still be just an Alpha. DayZ will be developed the same way as Minecraft.

Sold cheap in Alpha stage, the price gradually getting higher and all future updates and patches will be entirely free.

Edit; And I'm posting this despite the fact that I saw Fraggle's post before even starting to type. Because my explanation is superior. >:C

I find it rather amusing watching people just flail around the forums, especially the ones who have a global ban and complain at ban appeals, shows how much uneducated people are on here

Edit: I hate you Fraggle.

Why the hate for Fraggle?

Lol, don't worry, he loves me really. It's because I ninja'd his post.

Lol, don't worry, he loves me really. It's because I ninja'd his post.

Don´t listen to Fraggle, I don´t love him, nobody does :<

BIS NEVER released a finished game afaik... have been playing since OFP so my point should be valid. But i still hope that it will at least be playable, i didn't play TOHK yet so i don't really know the status of that engine but i assume it's the same.

I've been playing since OFP too so I see your point. They do have a track record of releasing games in a buggy state, luckily they also have a great reputation for supporting the games for years to follow and are constantly improving them. If they released an unfinished game and then dropped it (like some developers) I'd be worried. The fact that they listen to their customers and and keep developing their games for years after release as well as supporting the modding community keeps me optimistic.

I've been playing since OFP too so I see your point. They do have a track record of releasing games in a buggy state, luckily they also have a great reputation for supporting the games for years to follow and are constantly improving them. If they released an unfinished game and then dropped it (like some developers) I'd be worried. The fact that they listen to their customers and and keep developing their games for years after release as well as supporting the modding community keeps me optimistic.

Quick off-topic question, can I have half of your posts?

Lol, only if you're going to go and answer all of the ban appeals and spend a few hours in PM helping noobs get their games running...

Lol, only if you're going to go and answer all of the ban appeals and spend a few hours in PM helping noobs get their games running...

Sounds like a good deal to me, been spending years helping noobs in other games anyways.

It won't be classed as alpha, when the standalone becomes avalible it will be the "foundation release" what you're playing now is the Alpha as the majority of the included things in game are tried and tested, bugs have been identified and so on.

But the finished version will be a long way away as there are plans for it to be continually updated like minecraft and team fortress.

It won't be classed as alpha, when the standalone becomes avalible it will be the "foundation release" what you're playing now is the Alpha as the majority of the included things in game are tried and tested, bugs have been identified and so on.

But the finished version will be a long way away as there are plans for it to be continually updated like minecraft and team fortress.

You could kind of call it an Alpha, considering they will be releasing the mod with some additions and upgrade it along the way. I´m not too sure on how "completed" it is, so don´t know if it can be counted as a Beta for that matter.

LVG - Your right. Although in my mind it's an alpha release as they will still be doing lot's of testing and so on.

LVG - Your right. Although in my mind it's an alpha release as they will still be doing lot's of testing and so on.

It´s kind of up to Rocket if he wants to call it Beta or Alpha. If he´s implementing on taking the mod with upgrades / performance difference then I´d call it a Beta probably.

Other hand, if he´s just releasing the mod with a hacker restriction then I´d call it an Alpha.

Off-topic: Does LVG mean Light Vision Goggles?

Can't wait, hope they give a definite release date soon. I hope its early december and not towards christmas.

In other words it is Alpha yes but Rocket wants to make a differentiation as many people don't get the phrase "Alpha"

Also no it's not light vision goggles, that's not one I've heard before.

It's really a tecnicality with regards to what to call it. It's tricky because the game has followed an unusual dev process so the traditional meanings for alpha and beta don't really apply and could be misleading. Foundation build is pretty fitting because they want a stable and polished basic game first and then they can concentrate on adding in the cool stuff.

In computing LVG stands for "Least Value Gate".

Edited by Fraggle

It's really a tecnicality with regards to what to call it. It's tricky because the game has followed an unusual dev process. If you call it a beta, people have certain expectations. Foundation build is pretty fitting because they want a stable and polished basic game first and then they can concentrate on adding in the cool stuff.

I understand what you mean, and I´d probably go with Alpha no matter the consequences. Considering this mod have been main developed by Rocket and his team, then the community took over, it´s different than normal. We´ll just have to wait and see.

Does anyone know what the system specs will be? I want to buy a new rig for the standalone which should not be too expensive but it should fit to play the game with at least 30 fps.

I don't even view SA as an Alpha or beta.

I think of it kinda like how EvE started, released with just a few features and over time has grown into a complicated monster with bowels so deep that you cannot see the bottom anymore.

It's just that the SA will be cheap to start with and eventually raise in price until it hits a ceiling.