Sign in to follow this  
tigerww2

the zeds should have skins of dead survivors/snipers/bandits/heros

this would add to confusion so you are like

oh dear is that a player or a zed? should i use this valuable sniper rifle round on him or not? oh no

it would be easy

take the PMC skins, open paint and use the red sprinkle tool on it! XD easy as pie

what do you think?

• Like 4

Zombie survivor, bandit and hero's. Sounds awesome! Perhaps 'downed by Zombie' players turn into Zombies with a % of having what gear they had on them. Imagine seeing that one zombie in a group...with a backpack on :lol: Diobolik, if they would stagger to any map waypoint you have/had at time of death or go to last saved tent or vehicle location..Be cool to see one on a journey, wondering what's on a Z's mind? Where's he off-to?

• Like 2

lols

maybe... maybe players could have a choice to play as a zed

and shamble around

although, that might not work so well

but yes, if a player is beaten to death by a zombie, he should turn into a zombie 12 hours later (real time)

they will keep like 1/4th of their loot, and sometimes keep their backpack. they might keep their pistol!

• Like 2

This is a great idea and if the player died holding a weapon then the Zed they become could randomly fire it (though not really be able to aim or anything).

• Like 2

yes indeedio this should already be in the game ! :D especially with the % chance of gear part.. but very little % chance of anything at all

Its a great idea, but there is a performance issue.

There are many more zombies in the world than players (let's say, 200 players per server... and maybe 3000 zombies). The budget is for about 100 zombies max on screen at any one time. This means that the zombies can be a leading cause of framerate drop.

The current mod zombies are not well optimized, with the standalone we have heavily optimized these, so they require much less rendering time. This improves performance and allows us to have more zombies and more players on screen. Unfortunately, this mean's we can't have survivor clothing on them because this is based on separate parts which is more complex for rendering.

• Like 1

Well for me it is more for the variation of Zeds, if you can generate more Zeds then I pray they are varied enough to offer a great game experience!

And because rocket is communicating more with the forums tells me the SA is ready to come out!

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25

Could a low resolution variant of the survivor skins be made? So they look like survivors, but not as detailed.

Edited by bad_mojo

This arouses my interest in what the skins will be for standalone.. whether or not they will be common people or different types of survivor type camping clothes or what have you. if there will be customization or just plain ol' raggedy Andy.. Information is needed before making a decision on whether or not this would work well. (sounds like it's a bit of stretch)

There are many more zombies in the world than players (let's say, 200 players per server... and maybe 3000 zombies). The budget is for about 100 zombies max on screen at any one time. This means that the zombies can be a leading cause of framerate drop.

The current mod zombies are not well optimized, with the standalone we have heavily optimized these, so they require much less rendering time. This improves performance and allows us to have more zombies and more players on screen. Unfortunately, this mean's we can't have survivor clothing on them because this is based on separate parts which is more complex for rendering.

:(

well. the vest and hat and stuff could be removed??? idk less parts to render lolz.

How about instead of the death screen we see now when a zombie killed us, we just lose control over the player. The game would still be over, but instead of respawning instantly you could choose to stay for a while and observe your body walk the earth as a zombie. Once you get bored and want to respawn or quit, your body will be attacked and killed by the surrounding zombies. Or just drop dead in case there aren't any zombies around anymore and it needs to die for performance issues. Unless your former buddies killed you first because you tried to attack them.

Death in Dayz puts me into a disturbed and contemplative mood, and I assume turning into a zombie might add to these emotions.

(sorry if my suggestion causes the same performance issues you already adressed)

• Like 1

did you all forget? dead people dont reanimate in dayz. people only reanimate if they got killed by undead, zombies in dayz are fast and alive. by the way OP this would only work if you turned into a zed after getting bitten.

dead people dont reanimate in dayz. people only reanimate if they got killed by undead

I was thinking the same thing, and was pretty surprised when I read this:

Its a great idea

I picture a 'virtual' slot machine. bottom, torso, head..pull the lever and a random Z pops out. Can be done ingame? Like a db of 'body-parts' to throw on an animation skele. dozen each of leg, tors&head? 12x12x12=?almost two thousand different combinations?

I picture a 'virtual' slot machine. bottom, torso, head..pull the lever and a random Z pops out. Can be done ingame? Like a db of 'body-parts' to throw on an animation skele. dozen each of leg, tors&head? 12x12x12=?almost two thousand different combinations?

As far as I can tell, that is a little how the PMC guys are done, only there is a single factor in the slot machine: the character's clothing texture (colours)

It would be cool if the player and zeds all shared the same clothing parts (if per-body part customization came to fruition, AKA modular clothing (pants, shirt, coat, shoes, hat, etc)) that way the same parts would be loaded at all times (Saving memory). (it would also be fruitful to use tint maps for colouration of clothing, skin, blood/mud/ stain, and rips/tears to clothing overlays, but I'm not sure how advanced the material editor in the engine is. If it is anything like UDK, this could add a vast ammount of variation to the zed's appearance as well, but I digress!)

Anyway, what all this rambling means is that a new zed could be spawed in place of the dead/infected player, only it's LOD is forced to render lower than player's (saving render cost to client). But I'm not entirely sure on this theory because I havn't modded the ARMA2 engine very much at all.

After looking over my post, I think this could also go in a player customization thread...

Edited by KorroBravin
  • Like 1

did you all forget? dead people dont reanimate in dayz. people only reanimate if they got killed by undead, zombies in dayz are fast and alive. by the way OP this would only work if you turned into a zed after getting bitten.

You could still make it work with some tweaking. It can just be an added disease that is only contracted through interaction with the infected. When being attacked by a zed, you would have an X% chance of becoming infected. Once infected, you would gauge how long you have until the virus takes over by your body temperature and visual cues (such as the shakes or hallucinations). The higher your fever spikes the closer you are to turning. Maybe have some kind of antibiotic that stops the spread of the virus but doesn't cure it. This means that if attacked again, you still have a chance of becoming reinfected. After you hit that point of no return, you would instantly turn unless your friends decided to out you before for their own safety. It would add to immersion by adding a decision for your group to make as to how to handle this, that is if you even told them you may be infected. :huh:

I posted a more in depth thread about this if anyone is interested. http://dayzmod.com/f...es/#entry662756

This might actually be more plausible as not everyone will turn once dead. You can hard code a formula through various case statements to limit the amount of people contracting the disease and turning on each server.

Edited by Lights Out

this would only work if you turned into a zed after getting bitten.

no when you die you become a walker... YOU DONT HAVE TO BE BITTEN!