Ander (DayZ)

VEHICLE UPDATE (database side): 2012-06-16

Today something strange happen to me when i was driving the car(military bigger one).

I was riding with my friend from Berezino to Solnichinay after looting some apartments and when we leave the Berezino our car disappear in thin air dropping us on the road in some distance from each other.

I lost Bizon with 2 mags Fn Fal with NV and 9 mags some machine gun and British NV/heat vision gun. Not mention car parts food water medical supplies and other stuff.

It was PL 1 server.

It kills my will to play.

Dunno if this has been said or asked but ATVs do cartwheels when they touch railroad tracks. If u even touch them laving the ATV on its side. I was just wondering if any work was being done on this.

My tractor disappeared within like an hour. When I died, and I came back to it, it disappeared in front of my eyes. And yes, I had saved it multiple times.

My tractor disappeared within like an hour. When I died' date=' and I came back to it, it disappeared in front of my eyes. And yes, I had saved it multiple times.

[/quote']

look at my video, a few posts up. Shows my car stuck in limbo!

choppers being fixed/ spawning yet?

Devs should remove radar from huey before start spawning choppers on the servers.

Changelog 2012-06-16:

All vehicles locations will be reset after server restarts. This is required to implement respawning.

Does this mean that EVERY time a server restarts (often once or multiple times a day) vehicle locations get reset?

If I'm not mistaken, are you fucking kidding me?! People who work hard to obtain vehicles now lose them in under 24 hours. That makes them utterly worthless.

If you meant that only after *THIS* server restart all vehicles will be reset, I request you make your wording more clear.

That said, thanks for the update.

Changelog 2012-06-16:

All vehicles locations will be reset after server restarts. This is required to implement respawning.

Does this mean that EVERY time a server restarts (often once or multiple times a day) vehicle locations get reset?

If I'm not mistaken' date=' are you fucking kidding me?! People who work hard to obtain vehicles now lose them in under 24 hours. That makes them utterly worthless.

If you meant that only after *THIS* server restart all vehicles will be reset, I request you make your wording more clear.

That said, thanks for the update.

[/quote']

They were reset only after the changes were implemented. The third note clearly indicates they don't reset after restarts:

[NEW] Vehicles left unused too long (hidden, placed in unreachable locations, bugged) will be reset after a minimum of 7 days - this exact time of respawn is also secret.

The status of vehicles isn't being saved correctly. Found a bus, fixed bus up (bus was not the shot out model). Server restart, bus is in same position but is no longer repaired.

7 days idle is too long imo, since majority of vehicles are hoarded by clans, how about reducing it to 3 days, and also adding random new vehicles in random server restarts for the noobs

7 days idle is too long imo' date=' since majority of vehicles are hoarded by clans, how about reducing it to 3 days, and also adding random new vehicles in random server restarts for the noobs

[/quote']

Dude, there is not only nolifers playing in this game. Keep in mind that some guys playing only on weekends so 7 days is fair enough.

Vehicles shouldn't be hoarded. One group of server admin buddies hoarding all the vehicles on a server is dumb.

+1 for the map boundary suggestion, but leave the respawns as the way they are.

I have a few vehicles and I think this is a good thing, its unfair to other players if you hide them off-grid. I've had vehicles stolen off me before, and I don't mind - it's all part of the game.

So stop hiding shit off map, it's just cheap.

reduce unused re-spawn time down to 3 days.

No' date=' it wouldn't be great at all.

[/quote']

Use it or lose it.

Yes, this is my first post here, but I've been here a while. I've been playing this for about six weeks, reading the forums and following the discussions. I've really enjoyed the mod, I love the challenges, and seeing what new stuff, for good or ill comes with each update.

I like the challenges the scarcity of resources brings, except the degree of just how many vehicles can be hoarded/saved almost indefinitely. It's getting to the point where one might as well just say in the wiki '99% of land vehicles spawn in groups outside the map, that are sometimes heavily defended.'

Let me be clear that I am not saying we should have an enormous number of vehicles available, nor do I think that a player can't save his vehicle(s). I think that 7 days where a vehicle just sits there off map or in an unusable position before re-spawning is too long. In regards to 'weekend only players' - if you can't spend 15 minutes in the middle of the week to even just log in and save your stuff, you're just being an ass and hogging it at the cost of other player's fun. It's almost like some kind of low level, long term griefing.

Here is a suggestion, and then my 'in game' explanation of why it would happen: If a way can be found that would not tax the servers badly, perhaps a check once every 3 days, at server start-up, the number of saved vehicles is counted and the date those vehicles spawned is recorded. The oldest (from date of spawn/first repair) 10% of vehicles would be rendered 'inert/broken beyond repair' - the vehicle would still be there for 3 days, keeping equipment stored there safe, but it could not be started/moved (unmovable vehicles could be 'reclassified' as something like temporary tents, but with a vehicle skin to reduce server load). After 3 days, they would be deleted. Those 10% of vehicles that are classified as 'inert/broken' would be immediately 'returned to the wild' for regular re-spawn. (This would keep total vehicle numbers the same but spreading more vehicles around, while not screwing players out of stored gear they have earned.)

How this can be explained 'in game': If you have ever worked on a shitty, near-junked car, you know that eventually something will wear out that cannot reasonably be fixed, like a cracked engine block, a burnt-out transmission, a severely rusted frame, a snapped drive shaft or fried electrical system. Chernarus was at least somewhat evacuated, it seems, and those with the good vehicles left before we arrived. We're left with shitty vehicles fixed with improvised repairs with basic parts. Eventually, the vehicles will die, broken beyond the ability to repair them with what can be scavenged. Maybe create a few unbelievably rare specialty parts that might fix some, but not all, of those inert vehicles. It might create some interesting adventures for players to have to find a certain part for their vehicle under a deadline, that even if they find the part they need, the repair might not work, which would balance out the possibility of hoarding such parts over time.

I don't think this should apply to helicopters or boats, just land vehicles.

I think this might spice up the vehicle scene some, spread the wealth, and not disrupt the game unreasonably.

tl;dr

3 days is more fair to all players.

Small percentage of the longest-kept vehicles eventually die of old age, are 'reintroduced' into the wild.

Extremely rare parts needed for vehicles that have been kept for a long time.

@ Chambers

How about you actually start playing and spend some time in Chernarus, you'll easily stumble upon vehicles, with and without owner.

7 days is exactly right - some people have a real life, did you forget that? They can't play all the time.

I agree with the 3 day respawn suggestion. As it stands vehicles are not being used for what they are. The way I see it they are supposed to be driven around to get from place to place.

Rocket either needs to change the spawn timer for inactive or out of map vehicles OR he needs to change what they are. At the moment they are being used as permanent tents due to their ability to hold items. If he could switch that tents were permanent even after a death but despawned after a week of non use. Then make it so vehicles couldn't hold items, or a very limited amount for repairs then this would be a great improvement in my opinion.

I feel that while many people will be angry about the change it will be better overall. It will give the chance for more people to use vehicles for what they were actually intended.

I am not incapable of finding vehicles, I spent 12 hours yesterday running from the NE side of the map all the way around to the SW side of the map yesterday. I found alot of vehicles and tent cities and wrote down the co-ords for each. I'm half tempted to just get in the vehicles and drive them around the map until they explode but I would feel bad about someone losing their hard earned loots. It's not the players fault that vehicles are such good permanent tents that they horde them. It's the devs fault for making them that way.

Use it or lose it.

I'm using it. But I'm not a fkn nolifer.

In regards to 'weekend only players' - if you can't spend 15 minutes in the middle of the week to even just log in and save your stuff' date=' you're just being an ass and hogging it at the cost of other player's fun. It's almost like some kind of low level, long term griefing.[/quote']

So, do you wanna say that if ppl have job, families and friends and they can play only on weekends then they are griefers and they not deserve to use vehicles?

3 days is more fair to all players.

Not fair at all.

For the love of god why do people keep arguing about this? The ******only****** problem, and the main reason for vehicle scarcity, is groups hoarding vehicles OFF MAP. If they are ON MAP you can go find them, therefore any change to despawn time is irrelevant. It is just as easy to find vehicles in a camp that is ON MAP as it is to find and repair a spawned vehicle. If your problem is that you spend all your time on the coast and never find vehicles then it should be pretty obvious to you that the problem is YOU not the vehicle mechanics.

Vehicles can be seen from a LONG way away making it pretty easy to find camps with them stashed as long as they are on map.

7 days is exactly right - some people have a real life' date=' did you forget that? They can't play all the time.

[/quote']

...this!

@ Chambers

How about you actually start playing and spend some time in Chernarus' date=' you'll easily stumble upon vehicles, with and without owner.

7 days is exactly right - some people have a real life, did you forget that? They can't play all the time.

[/quote']

Like I said, I have been playing for the last six weeks, about an hour or two a day, more on weekends,and have been all over the map, both solo and with friends, so I'm not sure what 'actually start playing' means to you.

I've had vehicles, both self-repaired and stolen, but I over the last month or so, I've come across maybe 8 crashed heli's for every 1 vehicle I come across, and that ratio just seems weird to me.

Use it or lose it.

I'm using it. But I'm not a fkn nolifer.

In regards to 'weekend only players' - if you can't spend 15 minutes in the middle of the week to even just log in and save your stuff' date=' you're just being an ass and hogging it at the cost of other player's fun. It's almost like some kind of low level, long term griefing.[/quote']

So, do you wanna say that if ppl have job, families and friends and they can play only on weekends then they are griefers and they not deserve to use vehicles?

Perhaps the perceived 'griefing' opinion comes off as harsher than I intended, and distracts from the suggestion I made further down in my previous post.

I'm not a nolifer either, but the situation is a bit frustrating. I don't expect or want this game to be easy. The reward is only as good as the challenge. I'm not looking for a change that punishes players by just taking their loot, but looking at possibilities for a balancing mechanic that would add a reasonable factor of realism and add a bit of continued challenge long after you have one or more vehicles.

If it was kept at 7 days rather than just the 3 I suggested, how does the idea of older repaired vehicles breaking down permanently with a small chance of further repair strike people?

I'm trying to be constructive here, and not just simply bitching.