Sign in to follow this  
Trizzo

Drop Backpack ->"Save Backpack" Stash Idea

Hey! Was wondering what people think of a way to store gear with a tent or making a stash. Somewhat inspired off STALKER.

Dropping your bag gives you an option to "save bag", much like a vehicle. You can store as much stuff that can fit in that bag and use it to make stashes.

You might say well thats unbalanced, to much gear piles all over the map. Well not really here is why i don't think its unbalanced...

*Fresh bags spawn near populated/travelled areas and can be hard to find sometimes! If you want to make a safely hidden stash you're going to have to travel quite a distance to get to a low traffic area to hide your stash. An activity that only geared people can do. Therefore people can't just drop bags all over the place.

*You can't carry two bags so to make a stash you need to first leave your bag, find one, gear it up, drop it off again then take another bag. Takes a long time.

*There is no incentive to leave low tier bags as new spawns. They a)need their bag to gear up b)won't ditch it before they find another one c) players only have an incentive to make stashes when they are self sufficant. You can't plan for the future when immediate survival is at hand. I would consider it an activity for a 3day+ survivor

* Gear storage is limited to what a bag holds, not a blank hole tent

*Other players can find them too

"Fresh spawn...haha this is easy i can travel to my bag which i put 500m away from the spawn point!"

(Runs)

"Oh shit someone found my bag! How did they do that!"

/\

Why making a stash is more complicated than you might think.

Cheers

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 20

mint idea but i must say tried as a noob when i found my second ever backpack obviusly never worked but i thought to myself wouldnt that be good idea for the standalone ...

Actually, they should make a option where you can fold a new empty backpack and stick it in your backpack.

I've actually thought about this quite a bit. I think it's great.

Backpacks are smaller and have less room, but are easier to hide than a tent.

It'll be hilarious when you hide a backpack under a pine tree and then can never find it again!

Backpacks, backpacks everywhere.

If a condition of the tent was to drop your bag and travel without it, then place your tent somewhere else I don't think there would be as many tents placed on the map. I think because you need to loose the vast majoirty of load carrying capacity it would be fairly balanced and not open to abuse/spam.

Edited by Trizzo

I like it, but I want the ability to leave notes on my body saying things like, "If you're reading this it means I'm 6 feet under by now, so here's what you need to know about the stash in Cherno. I hope you never find it asshole!"

Amazing idea and great for hiding special items. Much harder to find a backpack in some trees.

This HAS to be implemented. Maybe it can be limited to 2 or 3 bags per person to keep clutter down.

I honestly like the ability of having multiple backpacks. Say for instance a person is carrying a backpack but also found a duffle bag. The duffle bag has to be hand carried and can be dropped/left some place so that they can free up their hands. Duffle bags can carry larger objects and more objects, but slow you down and can't use one of your hands.

Yeah, the idea is sound and it makes sense that you can only stash what the backpack can hold.

However, I play the game with the premise that a new spawn wouldnt know about a dead body 2km away or a backpack hidden in a tree.

I actually like gearing up from scratch, but that's just me.

Nice idea for those who want to play like that though.

• Like 1

Yeah, the idea is sound and it makes sense that you can only stash what the backpack can hold.

However, I play the game with the premise that a new spawn wouldnt know about a dead body 2km away or a backpack hidden in a tree.

So you play the game as if you're in some story mode?

Just pretend a pen pal left it in a bush then. :)

So you play the game as if you're in some story mode?

No i just dont go back to my body and i never keep a tent thats all

However i wouldnt be adverse to finding someone else's stash though.

Edited by DemonGroover

No i just dont go back to my body and i never keep a tent thats all

However i wouldnt be adverse to finding someone else's stash though.

That's cool if you play that way, just seems a little silly. I mean, it all depends on how you play but unless I am trying to gather the things I need and create a little safe haven for myself with some extra stuff I don't really see the point in the game. Other than arming myself and PvP, die, wash, rinse, repeat.

That's cool if you play that way, just seems a little silly. I mean, it all depends on how you play but unless I am trying to gather the things I need and create a little safe haven for myself with some extra stuff I don't really see the point in the game. Other than arming myself and PvP, die, wash, rinse, repeat.

That's the beauty of DayZ, there is no way. I used to gear up, get paranoid about losing my stuff, but now i just like cruising around, usually with just a hatchet.

I'd have no problem with being able to stash stuff but if i died then to me its gone. Time to start again.

Funnily enough i actually enjoy the first couple of hours after respawning with nothing more than i did once i had all the top gear.

But like it says, it's your own story, there should be plentiful options for everyone's type of gamestyle.

I think being able to write and leave notes, say in someone's tent, or attached to a tree, could add a lot to the game.

Playing the other night, I was a recent respawn and had almost nothing for survival. After an hour of searching through through the woods, I noticed someone's tent in the distance. After carefully checking out it and the surrounding area, I went to check what was in it. I ended up only taking one or two low-level items they had there, and I left behind lots of the really cool things they had. I only took the minimum I needed for my survival. It was actually an interesting ethical experience that I've not had in any other game. I appreciated the hard work that went into accumulating all these items, and therefore I didn't mess with their good stuff.

Returning to the original point, I would have liked to have been able to left a note like, "Sorry for taking your XYZ. I owe you one."

Alternatively, being able to tack a note to a tree with a visible model for others to see and be able to add to, destroy, or take could add for some interesting gameplay... "Stop! You are entering Group ABC's territory. Proceed any further and you will be shot on site!"

For your consideration...

-Firedog

• Like 1