Jεricho

24/7 Daylight Servers... UGH?

playing at night improves this game heaps ...makes it a lot harder and more tense imo ,especially as u play like i do without all the op gear and try to rely on natural survival instincts ..

saying this tho i do see why some people dont like night time and dont really see it as a gamebreaking problem as i dont play on those servers as i like the different times of day makes it more fun

The annoying thing is no matter how dark it is in real life you always adjust to the low light and can navigate without a worry. Very rarely do i have to use my red light at night.

I can understand that ppl are playing "only Daytime"-servers. The adjustment of brightness and gamma does not work properly on my rig. Everything is black. I even cannot see doors when I am standing in front of them. I started to play with the flashlight on. Great feeling and very tense - then *Bammmmm* dead by DMR+NVG. This happened to me now quite a few times - if you have no NVGs you are seen from miles away (I found NVGs one time during my complete playtime in DayZ).

Would be no problem, but the shoot on sight policy of most players make this just no fun to play at night without NVGs. That has nothing to do with carebear style - I have no problem with dying. But NVG snipers are really pesty. I cannot check the environment outside my flashlight range - but I am pointing out like a sore thumb with my light during the night. Realism is nice - but when you get sniped all the time it is just no fun. I only play nighttime servers if I would have NVGs. If not: I select daytime servers or sw3itch as soon as it becomes too dark.

Look in a real zombie apocalypse I am not running around in the frikkin dark - I would be sleeping, resting up etc. The only time I'd want it dark would be if it gave me some advantage and since the lighting effects in arma aren't great and it goes stupidly pitch black I just can't be arsed with it.

If your Australian you should play on one of the herp derp servers. Theres three of them last time I saw.

Hey folks, I'm here to talk to you all about something that I hate.

24/7 Daylight servers. That's right, I know some people like it -- and I understand why... but, why!?

All I see now on DayZ are server with rampant kids running around, not having to worry about it turning dark. To me that ruins a vast majority of the survival element DayZ has to offer! And I know some people are going to say "oh, well find a night time server." I tried, buddy. And you know what? They're all empty cause all you people play are cheap servers!

So, why do you all play servers with 24/7 daylight? Do you find that you die less? Do you find it more fun? Cause in my opinion, personally, it ruins the point of a flashlight, night vision goggles, heat vision, and basic survival gameplay. I mean, I get a lot more of the suspense feeling from walking around at night, not knowing what's around the next corner.

Sounds more like you just want to shoot blind mice.alot of people like to play in the day light so they can see.you want it to be dark so you get an advantage.everyone always wants their own advantage,quit bitching about other peoples choices not being in your best interest.

Bro people pay and operate their own servers the way they like, if you don't like it then play on a different server, don't hop on the forums and bitch cause quite frankly I doubt anyone really gives a shit what you like and dislike

There's a huge difference between setting up an open sandbox environment and playing an open sandbox game. It's fine for a player to be attracted to daytime, it's a human instinct. But, when people start setting up their environment to cater to the players desires, it stops being open to those (like the OP) who want to play it their way. It's still a sandbox game, but you've set the rules.

Well, forcing server admins, who pay for their servers and often try to collect donations to fund them, into a 12 hour night cycle where no one will play because a small minority don't think it's fair, isn't exactly "open" either.

One thing the OP doesn't mention is it isn't like the night time servers were full before the 24/7 daylight servers started springing up. I remember in the early days of the mod, when there were less than 100 servers, that everyone was always complaining about Russians playing on US and European servers because they wanted to play in daylight, and vice versa. Only in the first few weeks of the public release, when there were so few servers that everyone was spam clicking each time they saw the player count drop to 49/50, were the masses willing to play at night, and even then it was still one of the biggest complaints on the forums.

Let the market decide for itself. Most people obviously like playing in daylight, hence the growth of 24/7 daylight servers. I'm sorry the OP can't find enough folks to play on a night server, but forcing everyone to do so is not the answer.

Edited by walrus2517

Well, forcing server admins, who pay for their servers and often try to collect donations to fund them, into a 12 hour night cycle where no one will play because a small minority don't think it's fair, isn't exactly "open" either.

One thing the OP doesn't mention is it isn't like the night time servers were full before the 24/7 daylight servers started springing up. I remember in the early days of the mod, when there were less than 100 servers, that everyone was always complaining about Russians playing on US and European servers because they wanted to play in daylight, and vice versa. Only in the first few weeks of the public release, when there were so few servers that everyone was spam clicking each time they saw the player count drop to 49/50, were the masses willing to play at night, and even then it was still one of the biggest complaints on the forums.

Let the market decide for itself. Most people obviously like playing in daylight, hence the growth of 24/7 daylight servers. I'm sorry the OP can't find enough folks to play on a night server, but forcing everyone to do so is not the answer.

I see we have differing opinions about server hosting. I believe that Rocket shouldn't let people modify his game to their liking. But, I fear I'm alone in this opinion.

You should really try to get past this "forcing everyone to..." attitude. Nobody is forced to play night, there is more than 1 dayz server. And the OP isn't trying to find enough people to play at night, he's disgusted at the notion of making the game easier by modifying the server. There's really no need to get all dramatic like we're forcing you to play in the dark. We're discussing server settings, not player gameplay styles.

-------------------------

On the topic of Arma2 being "pitch black" and unrealistic. After this discussion came up a long time ago when arma2 was patched to be darker, I took note of how dark it is in real life, and I found that with a bit of adjusting the gamma/brightness, I can make Arma2 appear exactly as dark as I see in real life. In fact, I can crank up the gamma and make it WAY easier to navigate than in real life.

Sure, there are nights with a full moon and clear sky, and it'll be not so dark, but there's also those nights in Arma2. I just can't help but feel like people need to go out into the forest at night and see just how difficult it is to navigate. Your eyes can adjust, but it's still going to be difficult. That's why they invented night vision.

Bro people pay and operate their own servers the way they like, if you don't like it then play on a different server, don't hop on the forums and bitch cause quite frankly I doubt anyone really gives a shit what you like and dislike

After reading all the posts (before yours, at least), I was going to come back and accept that fact that people play on 24/7 day servers for the reasons they have given me. The point of this thread was not to "bitch" about people playing on day time servers, but to ask why they do. If you even bothered to read more than one sentence of the original post, you'd have understood that I've tried to find another server, all of them quite dead... but I understand that someone of your intellectual caliber isn't able to focus brain power for more than ten seconds. Anyways, this topic is just about dead - people play daylight servers because they enjoy being able to see and what not, fine.

And "bro," if you really didn't care, you would've at least found a more mature way to portray that... you know, instead of flipping out on your keyboard and behind that ub3r l33t shield that is a computer screen.

Good day.

Edited by Jεricho

For me, it's mostly due to a lack of proper mechanics that make night worth it to me. There's very little benefit to night time playing when the darkness is unrealistically black and a lack of being able to have a gun and flashlight out at the same time. Sure, you won't be seen by zombies, but right now, zombies are at best a minor annoyance during the day. Easy to kill, easy to run away from. I'm hoping with standalone they fix some of these issues.

I am afraid that if the community were to really run the game, it would be a bunch of things to make it easier than it is.

Whilst this might be true I'm highly against dumbing down a game.

This happens with actual developers in game industry already (CoD, ME, DA) and I can't stand it.

If this is inevitable then so be it, I know our server will not be dumbed down and I will only play on servers that thrive for challenges rather than piss easy loot.

Playing at night might be fun if gamma/brightness/HDR abuse wasn't possible, but it is, so it's like playing during the day anyways, except a lot uglier and less fun in general.

Maybe if they find a way to stop setting abuse, I'd enjoy playing at night, having to balance between enough light to see and enough light that others can see me, etc.

Playing at night might be fun if gamma/brightness/HDR abuse wasn't possible, but it is, so it's like playing during the day anyways, except a lot uglier and less fun in general.

Maybe if they find a way to stop setting abuse, I'd enjoy playing at night, having to balance between enough light to see and enough light that others can see me, etc.

This exactly why the argument/complaint is completely irrelevant. You can arguably see better on full moon night servers with IR-esque gamma/brightness/hdr settings than you can on day servers.

It's boring, monochrome, and less risky to play on a night server, which is completely counterintuitive.

I see we have differing opinions about server hosting. I believe that Rocket shouldn't let people modify his game to their liking. But, I fear I'm alone in this opinion.

You should really try to get past this "forcing everyone to..." attitude. Nobody is forced to play night, there is more than 1 dayz server. And the OP isn't trying to find enough people to play at night, he's disgusted at the notion of making the game easier by modifying the server. There's really no need to get all dramatic like we're forcing you to play in the dark. We're discussing server settings, not player gameplay styles.

-------------------------

On the topic of Arma2 being "pitch black" and unrealistic. After this discussion came up a long time ago when arma2 was patched to be darker, I took note of how dark it is in real life, and I found that with a bit of adjusting the gamma/brightness, I can make Arma2 appear exactly as dark as I see in real life. In fact, I can crank up the gamma and make it WAY easier to navigate than in real life.

Sure, there are nights with a full moon and clear sky, and it'll be not so dark, but there's also those nights in Arma2. I just can't help but feel like people need to go out into the forest at night and see just how difficult it is to navigate. Your eyes can adjust, but it's still going to be difficult. That's why they invented night vision.

I believe Rocket originally intended to lock everything, save for the simple regular/veteran/expert settings, but eventually opened it up because the market wanted it (and because server admins were able to fight hackers better individually than collectively). I still don't see why anyone would want everything locked to Rocket's specifications though. Why not just ask him his ideal settings then start your own server using those settings instead of requiring every single server to be the exact same? What's so wrong about giving the players the options they want so they can have different experiences on different servers? Want to play in the daytime? There's a server for that. Want to play with 200+ vehicles and a half dozen choppers? There's a server for that. Want to play Chernarus as it was originally intended? There are servers for that too.

Again, allowing the server admins, who pay for the servers themselves, to pick and choose some of the options they want is just meeting the demands of the market and has largely contributed to the continuing success of the mod. If you go through the forums everyday you'll see multiple people coming back to DayZ after a long hiatus and praising all the new options. If we were still stuck with nothing but Chernarus in its original form they would all just leave again. And I wasn't trying to be dramatic with "forcing". All I'm saying is we have an open system now. If you close it because a small minority thinks everyone should play the exact same settings you are going to create a firestorm.

As for the darnkess, if it's cloudy changing gamma/brightness settings no longer helps after they patched it sometime in the 1.7.2.x releases. And I've been in pitch black woods (I'm from the Southeast US) plenty enough to know that I can see at least the faint outlines of trees and other objects a few feet in front of me. If it's cloudy and dark in DayZ I can be stuck running into a tree for 10 minutes and have no idea.

Crazy, I must have an uncommonly good setup because I can always increase the gamma to see outlines. It's certainly not to the effect it had before the patch, but I've never had trouble navigating in Arma2. In fact I regularly set it lower because it seems too easy to see. That, and I use a flashlight & chemlight when it's dark.

As for the whole "they pay for the server so they can do as they want" idea. I disagree because it sets a prescedent for the future. What happens when rocket implements some features some people dislike? I've already seen servers that give you a rediculous amount of starting gear. It undermines the whole premise of the game to make some of these modifications. While 24/7 sun might not have a huge effect on the integrity of DayZ, it's the principal more than anything that bothers me about this.

The fact is DayZ mod is built on an extremely accessible engine, this whole "they can do what they want with their server" isn't as simple as that. If this was a game like BF3, sure I'd agree, they can set it up however they want. Because that game is restricted. DayZ mod is completely open to modification. So basically what people are saying is "People can take DayZ and modify it anyway they see fit" which I disagree is a good attitude for the DayZ community.

"People can take DayZ and modify it anyway they see fit" which I disagree is a good attitude for the DayZ community.

That's what Arma 2 players say about the mod DayZ :lol:

I have been on a server where you get NVG as starting gear..The server had people playing at night..unlike most others. I liked it but I do understand and acknowledge your p.o.v. about the survival-aspect, the 'earning' of gear.

So basically what people are saying is "People can take DayZ and modify it anyway they see fit" which I disagree is a good attitude for the DayZ community.

Yes, this is 100% what I'm saying. If Rocket wants to close the SA, especially for security reasons, do whatever is necessary. That's his baby and he's selling it. But DayZ as it currently stands is a free mod. Let servers setup their game as they want. Let people release new maps like Namalsk with new gear and effects. Let groups edit the mod itself, as they are currently doing both with the community patches currently being released and with the various DayZ offshoots people have released. The more people are able to experiment with various settings and ideas, the more creative and original material will be created for the SA.

DayZ exists because Arma2 was open. Let's keep DayZ open and see what happens next.

EDIT: I don't know how different setups can really be in regards to adjusting night settings other than brightness/gamma, but you may be correct. All I know is that with my setup, if it's cloudy, regardless of any settings I've adjusted so far, all I can see is the silhouette of trees against the skyline. Everything else is solid black and blends together; ground, trees, buildings, etc. so that nothing is distinguishable.

Edited by walrus2517

Free mod doesn't have to mean open to modification. Plenty of free mods restrict people from modifying them in order to protect the integrity of the game.

DayZ mod was like that at the start, but sadly after hacking became such a huge problem Rocket didn't stop people from modifying his game. I just hope this isn't the start of a trend and SA becomes locked down again.

Lets not make it out like people are ruining the game by keeping the lights on.

I have to say I don't feel as though you've made any supporting statements for your view other than "it's the principle of it". You can still play the exact version of the mod you want. It is available on plenty of servers. Why is it so bad people who want something a little different can also have what they want too?