Raytheon (DayZ)

I just saw this on Imgur

So... I just saw this on imgur and I don't know if I should be angry at the idea of this picture, or if I should be awestruck at how long I would have to run to get anywhere

DIPho.jpg

Damnit gotta wait 2 hours to see it. Stupid work computer has most everything blocked...thankfully I can still be stupid in the forums though.

Look bloody awesome.

The thing is, how would we travel to these islands? Would you choose an island to spawn on?

I could see some people abusing it, for instance, spawning in Namalsk, gearing up within half an hour and then just leaving on a boat? Or would it be fast travel, idk.

Said it before, good luck finding players after that. It's also a little bit too big for ArmA, right? You don't want to wait for 50 hours to get in a server.

So in other words, it's better when they are in separate maps, (in my opinion).

Edited by Sutinen

^party pooper.

Each map could be loaded speratly maybe as it's own instance. For example, to travel too the mainland from Namalsk you'd need a boat. During the trip there'd be a brief load time and "Bam" you're on your way. It'd make boats and helis even more desirable and it'd only be a matter of time before people start to set up a service for transport.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 5

It would add more depth to the game and make it a bit more interaction based. I could see huge gunfights for a boat off cherno just to end up in a zed infested lingur...fast travel would be a must though....

Surely Lingor and Panthera should be the other way around? What is this madness?!

It would add more depth to the game and make it a bit more interaction based. I could see huge gunfights for a boat off cherno just to end up in a zed infested lingur...fast travel would be a must though....

Noooo!!!!! No fast travel! I love the idea of how massive it is and the fact you'd really have to plan ahead if you wanted to make an epic journey from north to south. You could live a whole life without ever seeing certain areas.

• Like 2

The arma series (including OFP!) has always been amazing in the size of the maps. But it still has problems hosting large numbers of people on one map.... just imagine hosting multiple maps.

I don't know how other games do instancing. Maybe they have you "fast travel" or "enter" the new map/area and it switches you to a different server? That seems like the only feasible way currently.

But you'd have to take into account fuel used. Doubt you'd reach these different places on a fishing boat or even a pbx. Thered have to be some way to increase the fuel capacity/or calculate it from cans carried.

Nice idea, but doesn't seem doable yet.

Edited by Seddrik

Lingor is in South America, Chernarus is pretty much that location on the map and you forgot about Utes whats underneath Cherna.

Don't forget this is just a random image the OP found on the interweb, I'm just finding the basic concept interesting, I don't really care about the exact geography.

With regards to player numbers, the latest dev update anounced that for the SA they're re coding the way the whole server/client thing works which will allow servers to support MANY more players and Zeds without introducing lag.

• Like 1

Like Fraggle said, I didn't make the map, I just found it on an imgur adventure. I've only played Chernarus so I wouldn't know the geographic layout anyway. For it to be feasible in the games current usage of fuel, the gap between Chernarus and "?????????" could be no wider than like 10 km, otherwise you'll spend 8 hours in a fishing boat ...

With Standalone coming soon, it wouldn't have anything to do with Arma2.

Its up to Rocket.

This is a great idea. Allow it to keep expanding and connect it all. One of the biggest things that's kept the mod going for me is the new maps and the different survival dynamics of their environments. Would love to see that in the standalone too.

I like the idea of loading the maps separately. Once you traveled distance X into the ocean you would hit a loading screen and be in a different map. It would be epic and is a cool goal for Rocket and team to work toward after the initial release is sorted out.

• Like 1

Imagine spawning in the debug plains..

Why dont we they just stack all of the maps four hundred above each other and we can catch elevators.

• Like 1

I hate it, Takistan is right next to Cerno. I'd prefer if it was just all of Cherno: http://community.bistudio.com/wikidata/images/6/66/arma_2_island_locations.jpg

This is all we really need. I know for a fact that they won't be adding Community maps into the Standalone Cherno map because it's not theirs. I could go into further depth about it but it'b be to fustraiting. So instead they should just make the rest of Cherno.

The Black Mountains would be the snowy area. The area in between Belozersk and Kirovograd would be flat plains or foresty hills, and the more north you go the more it gets cold so the are around Lake Beloe would be snowy. Looking at the size of Chernogorsk just think about how big Novigrad would be. Around the area of the Takistan border would be hotter so you risk sun stroke instead of coldness.

What does everyone else think?

I think you need to read the thread again. It's the basic concept we're discussing, not the specific geography. Also Rocket has clearly stated many times that he would eventually like to see community maps featured in the standalone.

• Like 1

Yes, as separate maps would be fine but I don't think as one big map. Plus with Turkistan and Cherno at that distance it'd be too far away from Arma2 lore. I also know it's just a basic but it's waaayyyy too basic for my liking.

Yes, as separate maps would be fine but I don't think as one big map. Plus with Turkistan and Cherno at that distance it'd be too far away from Arma2 lore. I also know it's just a basic but it's waaayyyy too basic for my liking.

Arma 2 lore... please just stop there.

Arma 2 lore fell out the window the moment the mod was created, the only thing they have in common "story- wise" is the location that these two games take place, and once again:

I hate it, Takistan is right next to Cerno. I'd prefer if it was just all of Cherno: http://community.bis...d_locations.jpg

This MICROSOFT PAINT MAP is just someone using their imagination and putting it on the web.

^party pooper.

Each map could be loaded speratly maybe as it's own instance. For example, to travel too the mainland from Namalsk you'd need a boat. During the trip there'd be a brief load time and "Bam" you're on your way. It'd make boats and helis even more desirable and it'd only be a matter of time before people start to set up a service for transport.

I still don't know if it would cause lag issues or massive loading times, but if you want one server to have all maps on separate.. Well, maps, it would require loads of players, if you don't want it to seem like you're the only person on the entire server, right?

I'm not the expert on the server stuff, but I like to look at the possible faults before going all crazy on the suggestion.