thegrover

New Bambi, with a dinosaur computer

hey peeps!

ive found this game recently, downloaded ARMA2 free (as per a helpful guide) and ordered Operation Arrowhead ready to get the mod installed

just got a couple of questions...

firstly, how CPU/GPU intensive is DayZ compared to the stock ARMA2? because i tried playing ARMA2 yesterday, and the graphics glitched worse than anything ive ever seen (polygons stretching over models in very strange ways), rendering the game almost unplayable. i put this down to either A) crap graphics card (ATI Radeon 3000 onboard) or B) old firmware (every time the updater runs, it leaves my graphics software at the same version as before)

if DayZ magically runs a different graphics package, then happy days... otherwise, ill have to wait toll i get a new computer

Secondly, how do i go about utilising DayZ Commander once i have everything installed? do i simply let it find my game directories and install DayZ for me? or does it require some input/help from me?

and in relation to my first question, i've already resolved to buy a new computer, but can somebody give me some guide as to what setup will give me good performance on reasonable settings? im planning to use THIS site to put my new computer together, but what kind of CPU/GPU/RAM should i aim for? (and will this run on Windows 8, or should i stick to 7?)

sorry for the wave of questions :P

thanks

Grover

DayZ is considerably more intensive than ArmA 2 I'm afraid, DayZ Commander usually automatically finds your ArmA and OA directories and you just click install, if it doesn't find them though you can manually input the directory paths.

Stick with Windows 7 IMO

• Like 1

DayZ is considerably more intensive than ArmA 2 I'm afraid, DayZ Commander usually automatically finds your ArmA and OA directories and you just click install, if it doesn't find them though you can manually input the directory paths.

Stick with Windows 7 IMO

What do you mean by "intensive"? o_O

Well, my PC is by no means a monster, but it'll run Battlefield 3 with a mix of High and Ultra settings at 60 fps no problem. If I set everything to Very High on DayZ I get around 30fps! I don't think it's the PC that's the issue, more the ArmA II engine's ability to make use of it properly. But DayZ isn't really about awesome graphics. Even at Very High settings I don't think it's that impressive. Set everything to low and enjoy the experience :D

So what spec of graphics card should I go for? And would an i5 manage with 8gb RAM?

And will windows 8 work with dayz or does somebody need to try for us to find out?

get a alienware really good gaming computers

Wrong :P Well not exactly wrong i guess, but you know what i mean!

No they're not, you're paying 500 dollars for the Alienware tag on the computer.

Right :D

But yeah, Alienware are for people who dont really know their stuff and are willing to pay the (huge) extra price to MAKE SURE they get a gaming PC.

Doing a tiny bit of research or asking in here will get you a much cheaper PC that will run exactly the same. Dont waste your money on Alienware.

Edited by Rooneye

I prefer custom building my own rigs piece by piece, comparing prices, effectiveness and if there's any new hardware coming out soon so should I rather wait for that or leave my order now.

Not only do I find it more interesting to do it this way but I also save a very nice lump of cash.

• Like 2

i would certainly be interested, but have no technical experience with PCs except for changing out RAM and opening up an XBOX, surely it cant be as simple as plugging everything in and slamming a DVD with Windows in there?

This like saying "ferrari are the fastest cars"

If you don't know what you're talking about better not saying anything.

Mine PC is a custom built beauty that I had built for power, speed, silence and reliability. It's way over spec'd but can still struggle with dayz sometimes, depending on what I'm asking it to do. I suspect broadband capacity is as critical as anything.

Ignore all the people just insulting other people's computers. They're all good quality machines. Buy the best you can afford if you're buying and if you're not, I hope your current machine will let you play. You can strip back what you need for arma/dayz to the basics and cut graphics right down if necessary. :thumbsup:

i would certainly be interested, but have no technical experience with PCs except for changing out RAM and opening up an XBOX, surely it cant be as simple as plugging everything in and slamming a DVD with Windows in there?

If you've changed ram and 'opened an Xbox' (what does that actually mean? What did you do when you opened it?) you can build a PC. It IS pretty much plugging stuff in and screwing some screws. There are tones of step by step tutorial videos (or text and pics if you prefer) that if you follow, you pretty much cant go wrong. Once you've done it once, you'll wonder why you didnt do it sooner. :)

Plus if in the rare event you cant do something or need help, you can come on here and I and Im sure others more knowledgeable than me would be more than willing to help. Maybe over skype or whatever. Any problems could easily be sorted.

i mean i got the motherboard out of an XBOX

and you mean i can just plug a bunch of components into a motherboard, boot it up with a DVD for windows in the drive and it does the complex stuff for me? ABSOLUTLEY no complex fiddling with the computer's own drivers for its hardware? and how about getting drivers for the hardware (such as graphics drivers), do they just come in a DVD with the hardware?

i guess i should check some tutorials :P

thanks

i mean i got the motherboard out of an XBOX

and you mean i can just plug a bunch of components into a motherboard, boot it up with a DVD for windows in the drive and it does the complex stuff for me? ABSOLUTLEY no complex fiddling with the computer's own drivers for its hardware? and how about getting drivers for the hardware (such as graphics drivers), do they just come in a DVD with the hardware?

i guess i should check some tutorials :P

thanks

Yes they do come with a CD. But Windows updater will also just get them for you too (the latest ones, which is always best). Definitely watch some tutorials, I guarantee its much simpler than you think it is :)

seriously... whats with all the "bambi" crap most people mention now? where does it come from?

• Like 1

Bambi is generally a fresh spawn in Dayz, no weapon or kit worth killing for or stealing. Harmless as Bambi, get it?

Your just missing wire management and updateing/installing driviers

seriously... whats with all the "bambi" crap most people mention now? where does it come from?

Bambi is generally a fresh spawn in Dayz, no weapon or kit worth killing for or stealing. Harmless as Bambi, get it?

Yeah and it comes from FrankieOnPCin1080p from the youtoobs.

I logged in JUST so I could say...

SERIOUSLY? No one got the guys sarcasm when he said "get alienware really good gaming PC"? Christ.

Go to PCWorld for the best PC deals.

Wrong :P Well not exactly wrong i guess, but you know what i mean!

Right :D

But yeah, Alienware are for people who dont really know their stuff and are willing to pay the (huge) extra price to MAKE SURE they get a gaming PC.

Doing a tiny bit of research or asking in here will get you a much cheaper PC that will run exactly the same. Dont waste your money on Alienware.

Hahah... research? If he wanted to, he could just look at what is in the alienware PC and buy the parts seperately.

Or he could spent several hours reading review/benchmarks on every single and how it performs with the others.

Edited by Oompa

The "bambi crap" comes from a genuine sense of fondness, concern, and friendliness toward inexperienced and new players. It's been around a long time but as people have said, this generation knows it from Frankie, I think.

Edited by Sula

Reklin, interesting to see you write that. There is no gun big enough to stick in my face and threaten me that would make me buy a plug from PC world let alone a computer! My view is "Never buy computers from high street stores!" They're a rip off. :thumbsup: