jdfabs (DayZ)

Foods! Plz coment

It makes sence that the canned beans dont just apear! so player should be able to do their own food, not just hunting

people should be able to farm stuff

like beans and wheat.. other stuff too

thx for watching

Hello there

Hegehogs and squirrels would be nice.

Proper Hunting *has* been suggested many times, I've always been a little surprised that a "hunting Mod" has never been created for Arma.

Farming? A bit too long term for my tastes.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

I think there should be apples and stuff kicking around. I'd prefer "random chance" food sources that could do their own thing after civilization collapses instead of farming.

Maybe they would be from pre-apocalypse farms, but I think scavenging is more appropriate to the tone of the game than maintaining a farm.

If we get instanced subterranean bases, there could probably be a hydroponic farm somewhere, but that's extremely advanced compared to the everyday survival we're supposed to be dealing with.

I was thinking also about fishing! I mean we have a sea and some lake's on the map why dont apply fishing :D

Honestly I'm surprised I haven't heard of a hunting mod for Arma II as well, but I'm betting there's one out there.

It would however be nice to be able to find plants you could harvest, and some of them could be poisonous unless prepared correctly, or just poisonous in general. Maybe a book could be added in game that would have pictures of what was safe, what was not, etc?

When I go out mushrooming I never leave my book at home. And I'm sure I don't have to detail what many mushrooms can do to you if you eat them.

One of the maps has Ganja plants, so I want to be able to use it as a medicinal product and to chill out around the fire with m8s. There are apple trees in chernaurus, so food is plentiful.

I like the idea of fishing, sitting there while some fucker sneaks up on you and slits your throat.

And we could make cider from the apples.

I was just thinking of moonshine actually. You can ferment almost anything, potatoes whatever.

What I would like to see is some kind of prepared meal, like a stew which you make at a campfire using meat and cans of soup. The end result giving a good chunk of health (4-5k?) and of course warmth.

Edited by disorder
  • Like 1

I hope the food/health system in SA is going to be totally different from the mod, but I like the idea of prepared meals having a purpose.

And they could be split into portions to keep for later, or feed the troops. :thumbsup:

I'd rather have an occasional stew, fry-up or tattie soup than same old beans every night.

Hello there

The foody aspect could deviate the game away from the PVP bias the mod seems to have at the moment and could give reasons to defend land etc, but how would one guard ones crops when offline?

Rgds

LoK

There is a hunting mod for dayz! Its called getting a CZ550 shooting a Hog, skinning that sucker with ma crocodile Dundee knife, butcher that carcass, cook it if you must (real men eat raw meat, fact), enjoy that pig.

On a serious note:

Fishing: Yeah for sure.

Fruit tree's/wild food: Yes please.

Farming: Hhmmm like others have said, too long term and more of a collective thing. I mean you wait a year then get a massive field worth of potatoes all at once, when you're just a lone survivor?

Real hunting/more to hunt: Aye, would be cool. Maybe we could get skins to keep warm and shit.

If this is meant to be a realistic survival game, I don't think you could get to eat one half-grown bean before you die or your farm gets destroyed "for fun"..

Well, I am one of the few here who enjoy the idea of being able to plant crops. Finding seeds would be painstaking and you probably won't be able to make some massive field unless you were in a group, and in case you'd be able to protect the land. I also think plants should product every 2-3 days to a week RL time. It will create the same effect as Day Z has on you in general. If you die, you have to find your way back to your farm (like you would find your way back to your body if you wanted your gear) but it can be destroyed when you get there. You'll be pissed and angry and have to start all over probably... so it's just creating the same feel as you already get, but in another way.

farmville, nof said..... but i do like the hunting and fishing and foraging and such

The Chernarus map actually features small greenhouses, though they look broken. I guess you could possibly find all kinds of edible vegetables there inside such type of greenhouses.

• Like 1

Although I am against fake timesinks and pointless timesinks in a game, I do like the notion of having to wait a while for preparing a meal over a bonfire.

Food and water consumption should be more realistic I think, so that one doesn't simply starve to death within an hour of gameplay. Having water would be alot more important than having no water to drink, so simply drinking sips and slurps off a bottle that keep being slowly emptied seem ok for me, instead of having to periodically bottle down lots of liquid in one go.

Although not realistic, I am ok with having food having an instant healing effect.

Instead of having the game sort of periodically punishing a gamer by how a player has no food at all every hour or so, having quality meals free of germs and such seem like a more plausible timesink mechanic for having players try finding food.

Roasting a pig on an open fire, and slowly remove meat off its juicy carcass seem like fun to me. A prerequisite would be to carry the entire pig with you and then using a knife to tear pieces of meat off it.

Edited by Treehugger

It makes sence that the canned beans dont just apear! so player should be able to do their own food, not just hunting

people should be able to farm stuff

like beans and wheat.. other stuff too

thx for watching

I think you are trying to make this game seem more like minecraft except in a much larger and threatening world.

Farming is too long term and I hope the SA doesnt go that way.Make the game hard to survive where you can't just run into forest and emerge 30 days later bragging on the forums.2 days to 3 days is about right.

The Chernarus map actually features small greenhouses, though they look broken. I guess you could possibly find all kinds of edible vegetables there inside such type of greenhouses.

I think this would be the way to go instead of actually setting up a farm of some kind. Farmhouses and other residential buildings could have a small allotment or greenhouse that regenerates over time (for the sake of gameplay around once a day).

I would love to see hunting integrated into the game better. Instead of the walking barbecues we see around chernarus I would love to make deerstalking and rabbit hunting take a great deal of time and patience. It shouldn't be too difficult to code the behaviour of the animals in the woods: Give the deer or rabbit half of the visual range but a wider field of vision than a zombie and give it acute hearing. If it detects you make it bolt in the opposite direction. This would add another layer of gameplay to the survivor experience.

Its a game...... Where you are able to do stuff that normal people doesnt do in real life.

If you want to farm stuff and make cookies i suggest you get a real life farm and go to the kitchen cause i want to crash a bus into someones helicopter!

Its a game...... Where you are able to do stuff that normal people doesnt do in real life.

If you want to farm stuff and make cookies i suggest you get a real life farm and go to the kitchen cause i want to crash a bus into someones helicopter!

you still can do that but if u only want to shot people and be a dick killing every one on your path go back to black ops

i'm not saying that peope can do WHAT EVER they want in this game, they dont have to do this or do that

i've just had this idea to make it more realistic