mitor

Do you feel bad when you kill someone?

This is a question to heroes, (obviously not to bandits):

I have only killed 4 people in DAYZ, and I have played for about 3 months. One of them attacked me and my companion, injuring him severely, he hadn´t seen me, he was at the top of a hill, he had advantage over us. I killed him with my M4 CCO SD...

Another one who I killed formed part a little squad who started shooting me. I managed to kill one of them and run to the forests.

They both attacked me.

But I´m a good guy, and I never kill people unless it´s imperative.

The first person I killed in my Dayz life was when I was a newbie. I have never had a military weapon, I was at the top of rog castle with a Lee Enfield and a revolver. Someone entered, he started eating, I could see him, I had a good position and he hadn´t seen me, and he had a cool looking military shotgun... I grabbed my revolver, aimed to his head, and shot him. One bullet. And after a second I started regretting it. I picked up the shotgun, but I can still remember it. I decided not to kill anyone in sight....

But, three weeks ago, I found a friendly hero companion, and we started to help bambis. We found two bambis to help, we weren´t heavy armed, and I was using a makarov to kill zeds. One of the bambis get into my way while I was shooting my makarov trying to get rid of zeds. A bullet hit the head of the bambi, killing him with no possibility of telling him something...

So, am I rare or do you also feel bad when you kill people? Even when I kill bad people...

• Like 5

I never feel bad for killing someone, cause i kill for a reason. It's me or him.. I myself is a hero in-game, so I only kill bandit skinned players.

• Like 4

If they attacked me first then no, not at all. They attacked me so it was either me or them and then they probably would have gone on to kill others... Doing Chernarus a favour, lol.

If they made me kill them in some other way like not responding to chat then yeah, I usually do feel bad.

Hello there

I have committed cold bloodied murder (in game :) ) once, back in the early days. I still don't feel happy about it.

Also, I *mistakenly* killed two guys who I thought were very well armed and had NVGs who were baiting a tower block as a trap, I shot them both (one DC'd) and afterward I found that the other chap wasn't as heavily armed as I had imagined. (It was night/i was scared) I mistook their caps as nvgs...

I felt a little bad about that.

Any fair fights I have won though I am fairly proud of, especially as my aim is dreadful.

Rgds

LoK

Well, I do feel bad when I kill people, even if they are bandits. I would prefer to have an option to knock them down.

• Like 2

I don't kill unless the situation deems it to be an absolute necessity.

Even when I was forced to kill in order to protect, there was still this feeling of guilt buried beneath everything else.

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 2

I once ran over a survivor crawling across the road, I felt bad after yea cos i could have just drove round him :(, Altho i didnt feel bad until i reversed back over him to make sure :P

• Like 2

if they are shooting me or random bambis no they deserve it but when i was a bandit i felt bad after every kill because i didnt kill for gear i killed for a laugh but thats over with im a hero and i donate gear to players

I felt bad when I first killed someone, in 5 month of playing I have killed 7 people, as a medic, I have healed many more. It balances it all for me.

But you never forget your first kill!

• Like 1

I've got away with not killing anyone yet, I've been killed twice.

I've seen people run past, which gets my heart racing. Some people just run straight past me totally oblvious, but I don't shoot to reveal my position :)

• Like 1

Yeah I've felt quite wrong when I've killed players. In the early days I've shot at and sometimes killed most players I saw, then I started to feel guilt. Can't do it any more, I can only just cope with shooting bandits now. Post traumatic stress syndrome? Now I'm so helpful and generous it's funny, I'll give away AS50's, almost anything really. I'll happily arm an unarmed bambi, even with my primary weapon and help them as much as I can until my patience runs out. I'll give away my only vehicle to a stranger just to make myself feel better about the needless murders I've committed in the past.

DayZ is so unlike any other shooter I've played, it brings into question ones own morality and empathy towards other players. Certainly other peoples ideas about farming etc, broach the possibility of a whole new world of Dayz. Why let it stop at one small country or island? People trying to rebuild civilisation while others just want to take what they want by force. Good versus evil?

If someone is shooting at me, i tell them am friendly and i wont kill you.

If they keep shooting, all hell brake loose!

I wouldn't know as I've never killed, or even shot at another player. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I felt bad, but my first kill was justified. I was more shocked than anything else.

I managed to do a Cherno Jerno interview (the last one he took), to memorialize the event. It has yet to come out on youtube.

My 2nd & 3rd kills occurred at the same time and were also somewhat justified. They were in retaliation for the killing of one of the guys I was playing with. Problem for me there was, my guy didn't have to shoot at them first, which he did. I guess he was asking for it. Somehow, he didn't kill either of them and was killed himself. After his death though, I needed to kill these 2 dudes to preserve my buddy's gear. I was nearby and was able to pop both of them in rapid succession right in the head with my M14 as they crouched over his corpse, looting.

I've killed a couple players. I try not to, if possible. I prefer to sneak away when I find someone. The first kill I got was actually on a friend. I was killing zombies with an axe and he ran into the axe swing :P. The next kill was an enemy player. I tried to run, but he broke my legs. So I emptied a G17 in his chest. We both died, since I couldn't bandage fast enough. But I don't feel bad about it. Either they had it coming, or it was an accident.

I've been lured into traps numerous times by players asking for help or medical assistance. It's hard not to have an itchy trigger finger when most of those cries for help are just robbery attempts.

I only kill people if i feel threatened or they feel suspicious. I cant trust anyone except people with hero skins on.

Edited by BwobBwub

Yeh and No, My first kill was in cherno, there were 4 people running around shooting Zeds. so when it had gone quiet I was sat on top of the factory inside cherno. Spotted a guy crawling near the Fire station, killed him with an AK. Went down to loot after 10 mins of seeing noone or hearing noone. Looted him and felt pure evil as he had nothing, a pistol and i think a rubbish shotgun and a tin of beans.

Second kill later that night, was a 2 hour stand off between me and this guy, He had stolen our tractor from our base (we believe him to be the server admin using tools to read the logs to locate viehcles and players as he beat us to the airfield and we left from our base where the tractor was at the time of leaving, and we had been marked on the map for an hour a few days before when only his clan were on, marking our exact location everytime we drove somewhere new)

So anyways, yeh my mate went over to the tractor to see if it was ours outside the air control tower. Yes it was ours had our loot, then boom, my mates dead, with nvg and stuff on his body, our only set between us. So i cudnt just go and run, I had an L85, so i had a sorts of nightvision fixed on the building lay on the edge of a hanger with the scope zoomed in (this was before i realised it had thermal lol) So yeh he was shining torches out the windows at my exact location, not off towards the fire station or anything trying to spot me over by the hanger, for an hour and half. Eventually he decided to run for it. Took some shots but missed, so had to get up and run from the zombie agro, around the back of the hangers, lost the zombies and picked a location where i cud see the fire station to try and get a shot as he had run in there

What i didnt know was he had used his program to pinpoint me again, came around the back of the hanger from behind me, knowing my exact location again hmmm strange? as he didnt have NV he had to still use the torch. so his light was shining through the hanger at the point where i was, and he stayed still. So it was a moment of Do i go for it or do i wait. So I charged round the corner and emptied a full clip on automatic into him and yeh thats my proudest kill to date. Ive had one or two since, but mostly i avoid other players unless theres not much choice and they start shooting.

No guilt felt what so ever when the guy takes shots first

I don't kill unless I have to....which, so far, I have 0 murders. I would happily kill a *bandit* if I felt threatened. I once ran into a guy in Chern and I was shouting *friendly*. He did not appear to have a weapon and he declared friendly as well. We both ran up the tower and he took a higher perch. I stayed one level down and pulled out my hatchet to kill zeds coming up. All was going well...3 more zeds later he decided to whip out his AKM and start "helping"....I died almost before I realized what had happened. I should have known better, but I always try to see the best in people. I stay lone-wolf unless I am playing with friends. I will call out if I'm busted up and need help. I've had the great experience of having other players help me out in need, and I've gotten to return the favor twice. I will continue to do so...so long as they don't whip out a weapon on me.

The only thing you should feel when you kill someone; is the recoil.

In all seriousness, I do not play with anyone I don't know. I am currently partnered with a fellow artist from a website we post on and we get along fairly well, we understand what our joint goals are: to survive and expend as little ammunition as possible.

We try to avoid the coastal cities or larger hotspots like Stary/Novy Sobor but when we come across people in towns we have no compunctions killing them and taking what they have even if it's just a can of beans. Reason being: The one time you trust someone will be the time you get killed. I remember going to Balota and finding an AK47 (or 74, don't remember) but someone else was there. We both had axes until I found this gun, figured whatever he would move on, no sense trying to kill one another. He proceeded to run up to me and bury his axe in my face.

I don't go out of my way to kill people or hunt them down because frankly the ammunition isn't worth what little they may or may not have. If someone makes a point of being my problem though, I have no remorse for making them spawn on the coast again after shaking their brains off the contents of their belongings.

I've only killed a bandit, and it was my first and only kill. Everyone else I've come across I've let pass by or put my gun down. And every single time I've been shot. Like 4-5 player deaths now. The one time I saw another survivor and they didnt shoot at me was because it was a noobie without a gun. I heard him coming and posted up in cover. I gave a split second a saw he didn't have a gun. But he did have a zed following him. So I shot the zed and he realized I was there. I got up to give him my hatchet and he hauled ass. And was promptly killed by aggro zeds. Tried to help haha. Then next day I got really lucky and noticed a sniper in the door way of a barn scoping me up. I rolled and brought up my Enfield and he ran off. 95% of people are gonna shoot you on sight. Odds are always against you.