Spidey (DayZ)

What a wonderful suggestion popped up in my head about realistic zombies

Well I was looking at WarZ gameplay by Lewis, and he just ran past 2 zombies, which tried to hit him but unsuccesful. And immediately I imagined The Walking Dead, where the zombies would actually catch the guy, for example, hold his arm, or actually bite his arm, just you know, they would literally throw themselves at him.

Well, question is, how to imitate this in the game?

F*cking.

Slow

"Debuff"

From

A

Zombie hit.

Yea, you heard me. Why? Because if a zombie hits you, you would AT LEAST slow down a LITTLe bit and be like "OH F*** " and only then you would continue running or something.

At first I wanted to suggest an animation for the zombies, where if they would hit you in close quarters, in example a school in Electro, there would be a chance that the zombie will "stun you", grab you, push you against the wall and, let's say you would have to press a key fast to push him away. If you wouldn't, he'd bite you or something...

Now how cool and realistic would that be ? And this would definetly make zombies more dangerous, leading to more teamplay, or more smart playing. No more "running arround elektro with train of 60 zombies behind u and beign like * well at any time I can just run into the building and lose them* "

What do you think ?

Well I was looking at WarZ gameplay by Lewis, and he just ran past 2 zombies, which tried to hit him but unsuccesful. And immediately I imagined The Walking Dead, where the zombies would actually catch the guy, for example, hold his arm, or actually bite his arm, just you know, they would literally throw themselves at him.

Well, question is, how to imitate this in the game?

F*cking.

Slow

"Debuff"

From

A

Zombie hit.

Yea, you heard me. Why? Because if a zombie hits you, you would AT LEAST slow down a LITTLe bit and be like "OH F*** " and only then you would continue running or something.

At first I wanted to suggest an animation for the zombies, where if they would hit you in close quarters, in example a school in Electro, there would be a chance that the zombie will "stun you", grab you, push you against the wall and, let's say you would have to press a key fast to push him away. If you wouldn't, he'd bite you or something...

Now how cool and realistic would that be ? And this would definetly make zombies more dangerous, leading to more teamplay, or more smart playing. No more "running arround elektro with train of 60 zombies behind u and beign like * well at any time I can just run into the building and lose them* "

What do you think ?

I quite like it, they could also implement a sort of 'pinned down' animation as they try and overpower you.

It would add a bit of a dynamic to team events but it would be such a pain in the ass for a single player to try and overcome.

I'm just confused as to why there is only one 'type' of zombie, if it were to happen in real life I can't imagine everyone having equal strength and speed, they could incorporate that too, the 'bigger, stronger' zombies could have an increased chance for a hold/pin to occur but perhaps be a little slower?

There are loads of things you could do with this sort of idea.

It could be something interesting to experiment with. I'm not sure it should implemented. But hey, what is alpha for?

I quite like it, they could also implement a sort of 'pinned down' animation as they try and overpower you.

It would add a bit of a dynamic to team events but it would be such a pain in the @#!*% for a single player to try and overcome.

I'm just confused as to why there is only one 'type' of zombie, if it were to happen in real life I can't imagine everyone having equal strength and speed, they could incorporate that too, the 'bigger, stronger' zombies could have an increased chance for a hold/pin to occur but perhaps be a little slower?

There are loads of things you could do with this sort of idea.

They've made a zombie lifecycle. Older zombies will walk slower but be tougher, newer zombies will move faster.

• Like 1

They've made a zombie lifecycle. Older zombies will walk slower but be tougher, newer zombies will move faster.

This sounds good, at least adds a bit of variety in so it's not going to be as easy as just simply outpacing a mob all running at the same speed.

I like it but I imagine it will turn the game into a button smashing game like others that already have an animation where objects grab a hold of you.. My keyboard would be broken after the first week of multi tapping wasd to break free from things.

I like it but I imagine it will turn the game into a button smashing game like others that already have an animation where objects grab a hold of you.. My keyboard would be broken after the first week of multi tapping wasd to break free from things.

I don't think so, I mean it wouldn't be so common and so often that someone would get grabbed. But then just try and imagine all the possible scenarios.. :)

I don't think so, I mean it wouldn't be so common and so often that someone would get grabbed. But then just try and imagine all the possible scenarios.. :)

I do love the idea as long as its very random and not everytime you go into a market for beans. At that point it would become redundant

I like this idea, it'd be one step in making zombies into more of a threat

If zombie movements weren't so buggy it would be fine. But once you go down that road you would end up with a lot of those little action sequences ala latest resident evil games

No, I can see players then suggesting they could do a series of moves on the grabbing zombie and then it would be silly doing Hadukens all over the place. DayZ meets Mortal Kombat!

No just no.

But it is a logical and great idea.

• Like 1

I think they should be able to run in buildings, but would be clumsy in stairs/doorways. They should also be more efficient in hordes. After that, you wouldn't want to run trough cities, right?

I said this earlier, but I would want zombies to have some kind of awareness system. When they have heard a noise/gunshot, they will start wandering there and should be able to see you further away while aware. Then, if they are not aware of you, you could sneak past them easier.

And if you shoot a rifle 30 meters away from zombies, they should just aggro normally.

^^ I Agree with this. All guns should aggro zeds too. Even suppressed weapons make quite a bit of noise.

Not 'aggro' them but make them investigate, i.e. go where the sound is and when they see you then they should come sprinting towards you.

Not 'aggro' them but make them investigate, i.e. go where the sound is and when they see you then they should come sprinting towards you.

There should be different levels of 'interest' provoked by different guns. A suppressed pistol firing subsonic rounds would garner a lot less attention than a high powered rifle.

• Like 1

I was thinking about the same sort of thing , with Zs being able to ( for example ) latch on to your midriff , bear hug style , and slow your movement / turn speed down .

Perhaps have a "button mash" , which would take a few moments , but relatively quietly , dislodge the Z , or have the ability to use one or two sidearm ( using main weapon would be impossible ) shots to quickly remove the Z , at the cost of making alot of noise and expending some ammo .

This would make the Zs a far greater threat , especially in larger numbers , and could make for some interesting situations and add a far greater consequence and chance , of being overwhelmed .

^^ I Agree with this. All guns should aggro zeds too. Even suppressed weapons make quite a bit of noise.

Well, I think integrally suppressed weapons shouldn't aggro, because they are dead quiet. The suppressors you can find (Standalone) should be louder.

To add, I think melee weapons, crossbows and bows shouldn't make any noise.

Sounds good, for starters having zombie hits force you to walk for a second, the "grab-and-free" quick time event however would be kind of hard to implement i bet, also would be extremely inviting glitching clipping and stucking bugs

slowing from a zombie punch though makes perfect sense

If you get slowed (minus the grabbing action of course) this game just turns into a left 4 dead minus the run and gun.