Sign in to follow this  
sparticus

Better zombies

Well, i have heard that a zombie can only be killed by destroying the brain, so why do they go down from many shots to the torso? i would love to see better zombie physics, such as no more "runners" because, well, they cant run.

Zombies need the ability to run, otherwise they wont be a threat to you. But I kinda agree in the brain thing, would be cool.

• Like 1

Zombies don't run.

Thoses are infected.

The only way slow zombies would be a threat is if there were loads of them, and that probably just is not doable.

I am very curious to see how the hinted backstory of the infected will turn out. Unrealistic or not, internal logic is always a great way to increase immersion.

Zombies are fictional. It is up to whoever creates the work of fiction to decide how they want them to act/die. I think you're refering to "Romero" style zombies.

Zombies in "the walking dead" "shawn of the dead" etc = Not scary, can dance around them and take the piss, Only an idiot would get bitten.

infected in "28 days" "28 week" "i am legend" = very fucking scary, try dancing around them fuckers :)

pls rocket go back to the infected model, pls dont use warz esc crap boring slow zombies, thats kids stuff.

I prefer a challenge, not just a shooting gallery :P

shaun_of_the_dead_zombies.gif

Slow and boring.

obama+messiah.png

Fast and scary as fuck ftw :)

Edited by jaytmuk
  • Like 1

As the guy in my picture puts it:

"Another thing: speed simplifies the zombie, clarifying the threat and reducing any response to an emotional reflex. It's the difference between someone shouting "Boo!" and hearing the sound of the floorboards creaking in an upstairs room: a quick thrill at the expense of a more profound sense of dread."

From this article: http://www.guardian....n-pegg-dead-set

I will always be more of a fan of slow zombies, simply because I find them more scary, but i realize why in a video game the faster kind is a better choice.

EDIT: Oh, this one as well:

EDIT2: By the way, this video is very funny now after the release of the World War Z trailer.

Edited by Terrorviktor

Slow zombies are only scary if you risk being trapped/over-run by them and running out of ammo. This is more of a possibility now that the devs have announced the way they will be dealing with the server side/client side coding. The standalone now has the possibility of having MANY more zeds without performance being affected.

I posted this in another thread while trying to explain that I would like to see "classic" zeds alongside the current infected of DayZ.

I had imagined an excuse to make the slow "shambler" zeds harder to kill (headshot only, Romero style, for gameplay balance) would be that while they are becoming more old and rotten, their internal organs become more and more redundant, reducing the effect firearms have on their bodies.

It wouldn't make sense, from taking a purely challenge oriented approach, to make the infected that move slowest also the easiest to dispatch.

Whether DayZ goes this way, we'll just have to wait and see. I can only say for certain, that's how I would choose to handle things.

Not every zed should have the same attributes, just as not every person can run at the same speed.

You definitely shouldn't be able to just outrun all of the infected, that's the single biggest downfall of them currently.

Whatever the case, there should be some sort of variety. I'm not talking about having the odd "super zed" or "Boss Zombies", I mean there should be some factor to them that stops the whole situation from being entirely predictable and easily escapable.

My counter-summary -

The fast zombies should be able to run
at least
as fast as you can. (I think the fastest ones should outrun survivors)

The biggest hordes should be made up mostly of Zeds which are slightly slower than players, but there should be a LOT of them. (with a couple of fast ones for added OMFG)

The slowest zombies should be harder to kill and way more likely to give you an infection by biting you.

All these stages of zombification should be able to appear in "walker" "monkey" and "crawler" flavours.

Also, runners in most movies tend to be a lot more... Fragile than shamblers.

Zombies in "the walking dead" "shawn of the dead" etc = Not scary, can dance around them and take the piss, Only an idiot would get bitten.

The guy dancing around them/ underestimating how much of a threat they are would likely be the idiot who gets bit. Shamblers tend to be an oppressive presence. You never know precisely when they'll go from mild annoyance to threat until it's too late.

infected in "28 days" "28 week" "i am legend" = very fucking scary, try dancing around them fuckers :)

pls rocket go back to the infected model, pls dont use warz esc crap boring slow zombies, thats kids stuff.

I prefer a challenge, not just a shooting gallery :P

shaun_of_the_dead_zombies.gif

Slow and boring.

obama+messiah.png

Fast and scary as fuck ftw :)

28 Days/Weeks is the worst of Zombie cinema in my opinion, and I am Legend is only slightly better. In DayZ there is nothing threatening about a zombie that chases you by sprinting, nor hard. You can just out manuever them and eventually lose them.. Find yourself in the firehouse top floor with only a few rounds of ammunition and no melee weapon and you'll be screwed by those "slow, not hard" zombies. I think Zombies should be attracted by smell, hearing, and sight. Weapons should have greater hearing distances, melee weapons should take more to kill a zombie. They should follow movement, even if that's from another Zombie...

Zombies in this game is an afterthought though, it's the idea of zombies that brought you to this game but its core is the survival aspect. So I think a larger number and better reacting zombies would be fitting.

28 Days/Weeks is the worst of Zombie cinema in my opinion, and I am Legend is only slightly better. In DayZ there is nothing threatening about a zombie that chases you by sprinting, nor hard. You can just out manuever them and eventually lose them.. Find yourself in the firehouse top floor with only a few rounds of ammunition and no melee weapon and you'll be screwed by those "slow, not hard" zombies. I think Zombies should be attracted by smell, hearing, and sight. Weapons should have greater hearing distances, melee weapons should take more to kill a zombie. They should follow movement, even if that's from another Zombie...

Zombies in this game is an afterthought though, it's the idea of zombies that brought you to this game but its core is the survival aspect. So I think a larger number and better reacting zombies would be fitting.

But Dayz has slow zombies cos if your trapped in the firehouse (as you put it) with low ammo, the zombies are slow cos they cant run inside, Slow zombies would make this game too easy imo, Fast zombie are a threat cos (ok you can outrun them and lose them) but in doing so you risk attracting other survivors who will come and shoot you.

Warz and Lfd2 slow zombies are boring, Am hoping rocket makes the Zeds run directly at you instead of zig zagging, and maybe headshots or hits to the head to kill them would be good too, maybe bodyshots only make them fall over, but they get back up unless they get a headshot :)

I am legend wasnt really a zombie movie, it was infected, and alot the (Zombie Hipsters lol) only disregard it cos will smith was the star of it and it was a hollywood blockbuster type movie, but imo the infected in that movie were way more a threat and scary than romero/walking dead type zombies.

What type infected/zombies would you be more afraid of in a real zomb apocalypse (dam i hate spelling that

word lol)

Whats the scarier zomb/infected?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOWeyGX5Bgk

or

(If BIS use the arma3 greek island in future for dayz will it be a Zombie apocodopodopodopalypse) :P

Edited by jaytmuk
  • Like 2

I am Legend zombies were actually like Zombie/Vampires or some crazy crap like that. I'm all for slow Zombies. I think people put too much emphasis on the zombies where as the zombies are only the small setting of the game but the survival aspects are the true foundation of the game. I don't think the zombies should sprint/run. I think they should lolligag around, till they smell, hear, or see something they want to eat... They could even "quicken" their pace, but still walk.

Though I think aside from the walking dead type zombies, Zombieland zombies are second best (which do run/sprint)

I am Legend zombies were actually like Zombie/Vampires or some crazy crap like that. I'm all for slow Zombies. I think people put too much emphasis on the zombies where as the zombies are only the small setting of the game but the survival aspects are the true foundation of the game. I don't think the zombies should sprint/run. I think they should lolligag around, till they smell, hear, or see something they want to eat... They could even "quicken" their pace, but still walk.

Though I think aside from the walking dead type zombies, Zombieland zombies are second best (which do run/sprint)

i guess we can agree to disagree :P, But i know from previous interviews that Rocket likes the 28 days type Infected model, I hope he keeps to them and doesnt follow WarZ, But i guess he might yet still

@jaytmuk

I swear to god the guy from I am legend used a highly powered grenade to blow up all the zombies and forced the mother and child in a safe to rid all the zombies for them ;_;

Tickled me silly!

Sweet baby zombie Jesus... that tickled me pink too!

How about. Realistic zombies based on rigor mortis system. Zombies are the reanimated corpse of the infected. Like corpses they go through three stages. Fresh zombies are physically just as capable as they where as host. They run/sprint like the person they where and are a major threat, however as a corpse they eventually under go rigor mortis causing their muscles to seize up and cause them to move slowly and jerky. After the third phase the muscular tissue relaxes again and the zombie regains most of its prior physical abilities but as it has now almost no living tissue in it's body it begins to deteriorate as it moves. The body cannot regenerate from damage including the constant tearing of muscle tissue from normal movement. Thus causing them to eventually break down to the point in which they are of no threat any more. Though this process from first to last stage takes mere weeks the final stage and the over all zombies life span can last for years depending on the environment.