Sign in to follow this  
Rick the Survivor

Will we be able to play user created maps in the standalone?

I really enjoy the user created maps in DayZ. (Got very bored of Chernarus). I think it would be a shame if we could not enjoy user made maps in the standalone. Maybe have some big file share like they use in the halo series or just pick a select few like now but either way i would still like to see custom maps.

I hope so, sometimes it's nice to trade out the familiar terrain of chernarus for some tropical island or apocalyptic wasteland.

Yes - for maps like Namalsk, it would be great if they could still be used in the Standalone - I have a slight suspicion though it won't, at least not without Rocket's approval of the map. I heard they locked down the engine so much, so I'm not sure.

This is exactly why I am a sceptic of standalone, there will be no ways to mod it so I can imagine it becoming very boring very quickly

Chernarus has the best balance imo...way too many military loot sites in the other maps which looks more like wasteland than a zombie survival game...the only parts missing are the props - the Zs.

• Like 1

Rocket has stated that the long term plans for the standalone are to incorporate community maps.

• Like 1

Rocket has stated that the long term plans for the standalone are to incorporate community maps.

Key words; "long term plans".

So, expect community maps Soon™ after the SA's release.

Chernarus has the best balance imo...way too many military loot sites in the other maps which looks more like wasteland than a zombie survival game...the only parts missing are the props - the Zs.

yeah, you are right that it fits more with the theme, but walking from cherno to elektro to stary to the NEAF to the NWAF and not being able to find a single gun can be a major drag, and kinda defeats the purpose of the game. It becomes a walking simulator at that point, and the fact is this is still a game, so there needs to be that fun factor. and it's just no fun walking up as a fresh spawn, unable to find a weapon across an entire map, and having to but heads against people with as50's and the such.

chernarus is a good map, but honestly has way too little loot. i really do think that the standalone will suffer for a while due to a lack of community maps. given what rocket has posted about the engine details, i don't think we'll be able to create and play on custom maps like we can now. i'd imagine we would have to wait for the dayz team to edit and port the maps themselves, which is going to put a huge gap into customization (the best private hives i've played on, are modified versions of the maps. in fact the best chernarus server i've played on, has a ton of extra buildings and a new town on the far west spawn), which in turn will do a lot of harm to this otherwise creative and innovative community.

granted i'm just making educated guesses based on what i've read, but that's the best any of us can do at this point.

I'm also hoping for customization. Playing Vanilla DayZ has become tedious and boring.

Have you read about what they're intending to incorporate into the SA? It'll be far from boring.

Have you read about what they're intending to incorporate into the SA? It'll be far from boring.

Honestly no. I haven't had too much of a chance to read a lot about it.

Am I wrong for thinking there will still be a strong DayZ alpha mod contingent even after the SA is released? Certainly if the SA is only limited to a few maps there will be enough people still wanting to play the community maps that the original mod will survive. I know there are several custom offshoot mods with their own tweaks and features being developed that I'm guessing aren't going to stop just because the SA comes out.

I'll definitely be buying the SA and I'll definitely be playing the SA, but I think the original mod will survive for awhile on its own.

I need to do my homework some more but I've heard that Rocket will not allow modding in DayZ standalone. If he keeps this stance I will absolutely not buy it. You won't allow mods in a game that started out as a mod? Seriously?? I'm not entirely sure how much the game will cost and I here it will be setup sort of like how mine-craft is setup super cheap in the beginning and maybe has a final sticker price when it's official. If they won't allow community created maps/modding then I'd have a hard time justifying paying for the game considering at this current time they don't have any issue with Private Hives.

I need to do my homework some more but I've heard that Rocket will not allow modding in DayZ standalone. If he keeps this stance I will absolutely not buy it. You won't allow mods in a game that started out as a mod? Seriously?? I'm not entirely sure how much the game will cost and I here it will be setup sort of like how mine-craft is setup super cheap in the beginning and maybe has a final sticker price when it's official. If they won't allow community created maps/modding then I'd have a hard time justifying paying for the game considering at this current time they don't have any issue with Private Hives.

Don't jump to any conclusions based on the few facts currently available. Also keep in mind one of, if not the top priority for the SA is security, so keeping things locked and simplified, at least in the early going, may very well be a necessity.

The problem with designed maps is that they often tries to control player activity and are based on assumptions on what players like and how they play. There will be artificial choke points and other areas designed for a specific activity. Another risk is loot inflation.

From what I've seen and read of "Chernarus 2.0" I remain unimpressed. Underwhelmed, really, but I don't think anything but a departure from Chernarus as a whole could solve that. The environment has just become stale after so much use, both in ARMA II and in DayZ. And the long-term plans for 'underground bases' are likewise unappealing, especially compared to ideas revolving around barricading and 'reclaiming' existing structures in the map.

That said, I sincerely hope Rocket opens up to incorporating community maps quite soon, or I likely won't purchase the SA for awhile. His vision for Chernarus is okay and all, but it's rather lackluster in my opinion. I understand the desire to control DayZ in order to better fight hacking and other issues, but I don't want that control to damage the community's creative input into the game, both in the suggestions and modding departments.

To directly answer OP; I believe Rocket intends to allow community maps such as Namalsk eventually, and in some undisclosed fashion. We'll probably be stuck with tired 'new' Chernarus for the forseeable future, though.

Edited by Askar