thealgerian

Simple idea to fix mindless deathmatching

-Make people choose between Bandits and Survivors when they start a game, and give them different skins.

-Bandits would be authorized to kill anyone they want but be themselves fair game for anyone.

-Survivors would get a penalty if they killed someone who wasn't a Bandit, like the kind of shaking you get when you need painkillers, except nothing could cure it.

I know all about how you tried to make it like The Walking Dead in the bar when Rick guessed the guys were bad, but that doesn't work in a game, it can't. What you see in the game are not real people, they're just 3d models. There's nothing you can read either in their face or in their eyes, or even their movements. And also when they decide to shoot you their weapon are already drawn and pointing at you, you can't count on your advantage if you're quicker than them because both characters have the same abilities.

Edited by The Algerian

Like the kind of shaking you got as an infant?

• Like 9

This was suggested a while back, anything which penalizes a players choice isn't a good idea. Giving them different skins is penalizing a player also because of the choices they have made in their game life. I'll bet most of the Ghillie and camo wearers are Bandits underneath. Skins should be a choice for the players and not a game mechanic, how often do you see a criminal in the street? they don't always wear striped pajamas.

I think a player should choose what they want to play as through the game, not at the beginning of it. You could enter game as a bandit and then meet up with other people who you just met and struck up a friendship with, this would change your mindset but you chose bandit and your new friends may be out to defend themselves. let your choices in game discern your look in game as it would in RL (Unless your a psycho murderer, but i hear they look like the rest of us anyway)

• Like 2

I'm guessing you don't like the suggestion because it would require you to grow some balls instead of just shooting people who could have shot you first but didn't because they were decent people.

Don't bother, I have nothing else to say to you or anyone like you, quit wasting my time.

This was suggested a while back, anything which penalizes a players choice isn't a good idea. Giving them different skins is penalizing a player also because of the choices they have made in their game life. I'll bet most of the Ghillie and camo wearers are Bandits underneath. Skins should be a choice for the players and not a game mechanic, how often do you see a criminal in the street? they don't always wear striped pajamas.

I think a player should choose what they want to play as through the game, not at the beginning of it. You could enter game as a bandit and then meet up with other people who you just met and struck up a friendship with, this would change your mindset but you chose bandit and your new friends may be out to defend themselves. let your choices in game discern your look in game as it would in RL (Unless your a psycho murderer, but i hear they look like the rest of us anyway)

Ok, let's just let the game in the state it is now and let it slowly die.

Which is gonna happen, the intial interest of the game is gone since now we all have to shoot on sight and it's anything but interesting.

When I first heard of the game I was told there were bandits and survivors, that's what drawn me to it. Now? Nope, there are only bandits, everyone shoots everyone because there are no other choice, it's another virus spread, the deathmatch virus, people shot grew tired and started to shoot on sight themselves.

Makes no sense to me, people go on and on about IRL, but let's be serious, when you've been shot, you're dead IRL, you don't come back and decide now I'm shooting on sight too.

BURN.

I don't agree. People should play how they want, everyone would play bandit anyway because the way you just described it makes it sound like playing bandit has more advantages.

Your just butt hurt because you suck at the game and in the above post you admit to shooting on site. I on the other hand having ten years playing on this engine and having the skill set that comes with age, can use my mic to open a dialogue with survivors and/or bandits. At this point its easy to disarm them if you have the drop then invite them to teamspeak, become friends and form an active squad. Yes you may get killed trying but its better than the "If you cant beat them, join them" attitude you have adopted.

• Like 4

I'm guessing you don't like the suggestion because it would require you to grow some balls instead of just shooting people who could have shot you first but didn't because they were decent people.

Don't bother, I have nothing else to say to you or anyone like you, quit wasting my time.

Ok, let's just let the game in the state it is now and let it slowly die.

Which is gonna happen, the intial interest of the game is gone since now we all have to shoot on sight and it's anything but interesting.

When I first heard of the game I was told there were bandits and survivors, that's what drawn me to it. Now? Nope, there are only bandits, everyone shoots everyone because there are no other choice, it's another virus spread, the deathmatch virus, people shot grew tired and started to shoot on sight themselves.

Makes no sense to me, people go on and on about IRL, but let's be serious, when you've been shot, you're dead IRL, you don't come back and decide now I'm shooting on sight too.

Dude. Someone disagreed with you, don't have a tiff. Just accept that some people have different views as you.

I can however see what your saying as far as the "Choose when spawning" aspect. That would work at first, everyone would shoot the bandits the survivor would all team-up. Problem is, only the survivors get a penalty. Bandits do whatever they want and get rewarded where survivors get penalized for say shooting that twit that just stole your hummer. "Hey, we have trust issues, they stole my hummer! Get over it!" is how I would approach the situation and admittedly it can and has gotten me shot at. But I can't shoot back because then I have worse shakes then kuru and can't shoot straight ever again. The problem also is that some people will pick bandit to help their clan who they are talking to in team speak to be a "Mercenary" per say to just clear out survivors for the survivors of their clan. or people who will pick the survivor skin to get close to people and rob them blind.

Picking first also has the problem that, what if the thug life isn't for me anymore? Well time to go kill myself and lose all my hard worked supplies. It needs to be actively adaptive to all situations because people do change.

• Like 1

But then no one could just kill eachother making you at risk for constantly getting slapped on the wrist after a firefight to save yourself

I don't see everyone playing a death match style of game, What i see is different styles all at the same time. This will make the game last longer not kill it. It has been going longer than you have played it and it goes up and down all the time.

Have a look at all the servers out there who cater for a certain style, there are pvp, pve, friendly only. It is clear to me you make the choice in the game, the game should not make the choice for you.

Play as you want, that's the beauty of this MOD/game

It's so simple that at least another hundred people have already suggested it. The game is supposed to be hard, half the fun of it is to wager your life on wether that guy is a KillOnSight/DeathmatchKiddie/Bandit or if he's friendly. It's your choice. You can engage them or just walk away. If you get KoS'ed without knowing someone was even there, you probably did something wrong.

Besides, most of the Kill on Sight now-a-days comes from boredom anyway. There currently is nothing else to do than go hunt other players. Which is one of the reasons I've stopped playing the mod and am waiting for the Standalone.

I disagree with the whole bandit/hero thing. I agree that it should be a choice of the player. This is a sandbox to do as we wish, game mechanics shouldn't change your appearance based on your choices.

Your just butt hurt because you suck at the game...[]

Dude. Someone disagreed with you, don't have a tiff. Just accept that some people have different views as you.

Shouldn't ZORC's post be directed at SP45M, not the original poster?

Anyway, I think a better way to fix mindless deathmatch is to give players a reason to maintain their humanity. No one can deny that bandits have an edge, a HUGE edge, compared to other survivors. They are able to shoot at everyone without even giving it a second thought. This means that survivors will always get shot at first. There's no logical reason not to shoot everyone. The punishment for low humanity is new clothes!

Low humanity should have REAL consequenses. Unless all the characters in the game have gone through SEAL training, psychological damage should be a concern to players. Just simple things, like if you have low humanity, you would hear random sounds. A zombie where there is none, gunfire or the snap of a bullet coming at you. This would be an effective way to simulate paranoia and schizophrenia. If you became too insane, so that you would hear voices all the time, suicide wouldn't be a bad option. It should be quite easy to implement in the stand-alone version. I don't think it is possible in ARMA2 to make players hear sounds individually. It might actually be fun to play with a complete lunatic.

In the threads I've searched through (for example:http://dayzmod.com/f...mental-illness/), suggestions like this have been shot down by the "Bandit Party" that seems to run DayZ, mostly for being unfair or unrealistic. If anyone can argue that psychological damage simulated by random distressing noises is not realistic, especially in a post-apocalyptic environment such as in the game, I will be surprised. This would make bandit's life harder for sure, but it wouldn't restrict anyone's actions. At the moment it is unfair for normal survivors that humanity doesn't mean a thing.

Edited by Thaatu

I have been giving the SA some thought, It is doomed. When the influx of new players comes from the release of the SA we are going to continue with the mindless killing of all and sundry. We are talking more players and players who are not used to playing the game as it is!

Nothing will stop this unless action is taken by the Dev's through release or updates. It will be KOS central on all servers.

I have been giving the SA some thought, It is doomed. When the influx of new players comes from the release of the SA we are going to continue with the mindless killing of all and sundry. We are talking more players and players who are not used to playing the game as it is!

I hope at least the upcoming trailers and advertisements give some examples of other tactics than KOS... It might convince some, but the majority of new players will play as they get played. If they see no harm in banditry, then we'll have a million new bandits.

KOS? try playing on low pop servers, or night time servers, or maybe even dont go to electro or cherno? I have played on servers with 50+ ppl and managed to play for dayz without meeting anyone.

if your the type of player who runs straight into town shooting your gun or running around with a train of zombs behind you then what do you expect other than to be shot?

theres many ways to play this game/mod to avoid deathmatching.

Try some instead of crying about being killed? :P

Have always found ppl who moan about Deathmatching are the ppl who are bad at it

The rest of us just avoid other ppl and watch on :P

Edited by jaytmuk

I now run the MV Taxi service across the Apocalypse, I meet all sort's of players. In the past 2 months since t'other game came out and the hacker haters left more and more people are being friendly, that I think is all to cock when the SA comes out.

I have not heard of anything to change the KOS "MINDSET" in all the news and updates from rocket and co. It seems like the only changes of any worth have come from the community as a whole and the ones who have private servers. I am worried because my expectations of the SA will go down the pan due to it's own success.

One of the beautiful things about DayZ is that there isn't any of those systems in place. It's one of the most freeing experiences you can ever have in a video game when you learn to love that freedom.

Edited by colekern

KOS? try playing on low pop servers, or night time servers, or maybe even dont go to electro or cherno? I have played on servers with 50+ ppl and managed to play for dayz without meeting anyone.

if your the type of player who runs straight into town shooting your gun or running around with a train of zombs behind you then what do you expect other than to be shot?

theres many ways to play this game/mod to avoid deathmatching.

Try some instead of crying about being killed? :P

Have always found ppl who moan about Deathmatching are the ppl who are bad at it

The rest of us just avoid other ppl and watch on :P

I play solely on almost empty servers and have been killed only two times by a bandit. I don't think I have any reason to cry. More important is this question: Do you deny the reality of psychological damage?

One of the beautiful things about DayZ is that there isn't any of those systems in place. It's one of the most freeing experiences you can ever have in a video game when you learn to love that freedom.

Again, do you deny the reality of psychological damage? In that sense DayZ really is the most freeing experience, even compared to reality.

@Thaatu - If you play solely on low-pop severs, surely you lack the perspective to make a judgement on PvP gameplay, no?

I'm not having a go, nor denying the reality of psychological trauma, just making that point.

EDIT: To be clear, I think hallucination would be an atmospheric gem for DayZ, but in any multiplayer situation, if it puts particular people at a disadvantage, I have to say I'm against it.

I don't think players should pick a team. I'm also against the idea of different skins being associated with humanity. It shouldn't be that simple.

I have a hero skin on the hive, but I wouldn't have dressed like that if I had the choice.

Don't judge a man by his skin.

Edited by Chabowski

Again, do you deny the reality of psychological damage? In that sense DayZ really is the most freeing experience, even compared to reality.

No, but DayZ isn't meant to be a simulator. It's not supposed to be completely realistic.

Adding in restrictions to DayZ, a game made unique by the fact that there is absolutely nothing stopping you from doing what you wanna do, would be ruined by adding in systems that prevent this freedom.

@Thaatu - If you play solely on low-pop severs, surely you lack the perspective to make a judgement on PvP gameplay, no?

I initially played in full servers, so I got my share of bullets flying at me. I was really lucky for getting murdered only twice and killing only one player in self-defence. I admit you must have a lot more experience on it than me, but I hope that doesn't nullify my experiences.

EDIT: To be clear, I think hallucination would be an atmospheric gem for DayZ, but in any multiplayer situation, if it puts particular people at a disadvantage, I have to say I'm against it.

As said, I think non-murderers are at a disadvantage when there is no downside to killing. Everyone is just so used to it in DayZ that they don't even realise it.

I don't think players should pick a team. I'm also against the idea of different skins being associated with humanity. It shouldn't be that simple.

I have a hero skin on the hive, but I wouldn't have dressed like that if I had the choice.

Don't judge a man by his skin.

I agree.

No, but DayZ isn't meant to be a simulator. It's not supposed to be completely realistic.

Adding in restrictions to DayZ, a game made unique by the fact that there is absolutely nothing stopping you from doing what you wanna do, would be ruined by adding in systems that prevent this freedom.

It's a bad choice for an engine then, because the last time I checked, ARMA2 can be called a simulation. Also isn't one of the arguments against WarZ that DayZ is a zombie survival simulation, not a shooter? Besides, hearing voices doesn't restrict anything and doesn't really prevent freedom. Can't the same restriction-argument be used for the effects created by physical damage? I've found that bleeding has repeatedly restricted my freedom to do what I want.

Keep 'em coming. I'll be here all night. :P We'll maybe not...

Edited by Thaatu

There's no easy way to fix the way players interact with each other, and truthfully there shouldn't be attempts to do so.

DayZ is how you interpret it. You want to sit on a hill and take out a player who wasn't even aware you were there? That's your prerogative. But I don't want to see those players just start to have psychological trauma. Or any other mechanic in game that facilitates one style of play over the other.

With the SA version going to have its multiple fixes, I'm fairly sure people who start to shoot others just for the hell of it are going to find themselves wanting for a lot of things. Ammunition being one of them.

And let's not forget it's not the game making you kill others for fun. Changing the game won't change deathmatching, but making you actually need to conserve your ammo, making the zeds harder, making the survival aspect harder in itself, will end a lot of the shooting for thrills.

Already reported Garymooyson for spamming.

OT - I really don't think this is something you regulate. After all, it's the not knowing, being alone for so long and the fear of an encounter and what will happen that is the core gameplay of DayZ (IMHO) and I think trying to control or steer that away would ruin it for a lot of people.

I believe this suggestion comes from being murdered too many times out of hand, whilst I can empathise I don't feel it's something within the game that needs changing.