Dabigman

Weapon switching

Nothing to ambitious but how about a hotkey or scroll wheel option to switch a backpack weapon with current weapon in hand.

Too many action menus can confuse a player...nothing is more annoying than having *scroll*

switch to xxx

eat

drink

take xxx

take xxx

give xxx

get into

jump out left

jump out right

duck

prone

to choose from and you execute the wrong action in panic and get shot because you can't abort it...

You shouldn't be able to have a gun in your backpack in the first place, unless it's a handgun. Even then it shouldn't be too easy, DayZ is not known to be easy and accessible. For me it only adds to the immersion. For example if I open up my backpack in real life I have to search for stuff and don't have it immediately in my hands, depending on how tight packed my backback is of course.

But that's just me and I'm all about immersion.

I never have the opition to eat or drink on my scroll wheel

That was just an example.

You shouldn't be able to have a gun in your backpack in the first place, unless it's a handgun. Even then it shouldn't be too easy, DayZ is not known to be easy and accessible. For me it only adds to the immersion. For example if I open up my backpack in real life I have to search for stuff and don't have it immediately in my hands, depending on how tight packed my backback is of course.

Normally it's just scroll and it pops up in your hand..quite fast ;)

If there were bag that holds a rifle it would be a gunbag and not a backpack. Even if it's a submachine gun it still needs a lot of space which you don't have if you want to carry supplies.

Edited by Enforcer

Add the weight to the game mechanics and it won't matter about switching, you'll give more thought to your ability to move over the option to switch weapons.

the current wheel turn to change from primary to secondary is good enough, I can see anything as good.

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25

Guns can be broken down to fit in backpacks or cases, otherwise how do you think soldiers fit .50 Cal's in cars?

Guns can be broken down to fit in backpacks or cases, otherwise how do you think soldiers fit .50 Cal's in cars?

So on that note the time taken to do this, should be portrayed in game in real time! same for getting it out again, all those who have a weapon in their bag would think twice.

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25

So on that note the time taken to do this, should be portrayed in game in real time! same for getting it out again, all those who have a weapon in their bag would think twice.

Haha, nice counter :D

Break it down and you won't be using it for a minute or two let alone even try to take it our when the bullets start flying... :P Even switching a weapon with another one on your shoulder will take some time, that thing is stuck to your back really tight if you don't want to lose it. You could still try a fast switch ( if they would code it ) and drop your first primary on the ground and hopefully don't have to move and leave it there.

Press ';' to switch to switch from your secondary to primary and vice versa if you don't want to use the scroll wheel...

Edited by SedimentarySocks

The czech backpack is designed to carry a rifle. Snipers use them to carry their rifles (M4s in the US military). Some even have "choke" straps on the side so you can easily carry a rifle outside of the pack and an e-tool on the other side to balance the weight.

Organize your stuff better mate. Problem solved.

I see what he means, i see what you mean, lets pretend the player can wield 2 primary's weapons slung over each shoulder, not inside backpack.

Make it so backpacks can not store primary weapons, make it so each individual item that can be placed into a backpack a maximum of 5(handgun) everything else must be carried in main inventory (Engines, wheels, rotor)

Switching between Sniper/hunting rifle & AKM or what ever, i see how handy that would be, i would have to agree having a set button to operate a toggle between primary weapons could add a whole new dimension to the PvP + Zeds combat.

To only have the ability to carry 2 primary weapons and no more unless in the trunk of a car etc.

Sounds reasonable to me, could be interesting to try.

The czech backpack is designed to carry a rifle. Snipers use them to carry their rifles (M4s in the US military). Some even have "choke" straps on the side so you can easily carry a rifle outside of the pack and an e-tool on the other side to balance the weight.

now there is food for thought, why not make it so that only the czech backpack has the ability to carry 1 primary weapon, all other backpacks in the game can't.

the choice one would face, think about it? would you sacrifice a coyote(24slot) for a czech so you could carry that rare find, you already have 2 primary weapons slung over each shoulder.

We had food/drink/medic options on the scroll wheel, but it was removed because it was impractical.

I'd like to see anti-material rifles take up 20 slots or 90% of backpack space..

Organize your stuff better mate. Problem solved.

Still need time to get it ready... have some bullets in the meantime...

Edited by Enforcer