raphier

A hub for trading, meeting and bearing.

Obviously this idea is off-limits. But a man can dream, right?

This is pretty much a safe-zone, unarmed/non-combat area, a bar, a meeting place, a trading hub for all the survivors and bandits out there. That sort of thing.

But the main reason why I want this place to exist, are side-missions and economy. What I mean with that is, there is this player-fillable giant board which people can fill with labels like "Helicopter Rotor Found. Ask Me." or "need an electric radio, have broken car.", but mostly marker locations of "Got stuck, for anyone who wants can salvage my items here." or some small dynamic missions by the game that help sustain the hub and in return you get small rewards. And have a small economy in which I am pretty sure people would trade rare items for more ammunition and good food.

There is also a need of some small community endorsement and I think a hub would do wonders in encouraging longer life expectancy, grouping, clans and bearing to new players.

I know this is just a dream right now and with Arma 2 and Chernarus, pretty much impossible to make. Just something to feed our little imaginations. :blush:

I think as the game becomes more complex, a place like this may be needed. However, it should be a small size (think Borota airfield), and no items should be able to spawn there, to prevent exploitation.

However, I feel that it could be easily exploited, as somebody being shot at could just run in to the trading point, and immediately become invincible. There may have to be some kind of 'cooldown timer' before being able to enter again after exiting.

Hey,

this is a great idea. I think the Dev-Team should make some players safe zone citys. Citys like the citys in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Maybe a clan system? The system in ZL or TL should be nice in Day Z.

Ive tried multiple times setting up a bar for adventurers in Cherno or Electro in the little corner 'Hostinic' Bars and by annoucing it over side chat, but to no avail, many people don't really pay attention to it. I guess my inspiration comes from the 100 Rads Bar in SHOC, were you could trade items, acquire food and water, and pick up missions, etc. which I think - in a way would fit perfectly in DayZ in a role play perspective :D

YES, I was thinking this too. This game NEEDS a safe zone, a point where survivors can meet up, trade, share stories, show off their loot, blablablabla

Could also make it so you can't get in their as a bandit, maybe post some NPC guards near the entrance that will kill bandits on sight, this might make codfag banditry a bit less appealing.

Two problems I can think of that would have to be overcome though,

1: Bandits camping near the entrance, my NPC guards idea would half sort this, but out of range of the guards it could still be a problem. (snipers)

2: People putting their sticky fingers in your backpack, wouldn't be cool going into the safe zone only to have people take all your precious beans out of your bag. :/

Guys, I hate to say it, but judging by rocket's quotes (which I'm too much of a lazy fuck to dig up at the moment) state that there will be as little "interference" as possible into the player-driven world. Meaning no safe-zones, no NPCs that blast bandits, etc.

Edit: It'd be acceptable, cool, and really damn commendable if you could get this going through sheer cooperation, teamwork, and the magic of friendship. I don't think it could happen though, at the moment there really is not much of a point to trading except in very specific circumstances.

...Well, actually I didn't mind saying that because I feel that these ideas have no place in a game like this, but I don't want to be a dick about anything.

The structure of the world should support this kind of gameplay.

I.e. gear interfaces "improved". Grouping/faction interfaces.

I would imagine these structural improvements will lend itself nicely to this kind of stuff.

But no coded Ironforge or anything.

A trading place should be made on certain locations or even better, deployed by players, with gear exchange menus.

Player comes to another player, selects option from the menus wich says Trade, and you can see your gear menu and besides it, the trade menu. Each player gives items into the trading pool and when both players agree, they both click confirm button and items exchange. This is to prevent exploits and tricks. If you get more than you can carry, random items drop.

Also group trade, same thing, just when two players are trading, one is Group A second one is Group B. A third player can come, use the Trade command on any of the participants and then there is a button on the trade menu that assigns group, so you join either side.

The structure of the world should support this kind of gameplay.

I.e. gear interfaces "improved". Grouping/faction interfaces.

I would imagine these structural improvements will lend itself nicely to this kind of stuff.

But no coded Ironforge or anything.

A system to allow players to construct structures could make for entire trading colonies to be established free of zombie spawns. Just some basic enter-able structure's like the large tents and some fences or guard posts.

Why not incoroprate a "safehouse" system? Players gather tanktraps, plywood and barbwire barricades, interact with a building to turn it into a safehouse, after wich two persons are the owners and can add players who are allowed access to it? Thosd who are allowed access can enter those who dont have access sould be able to assualt the safehousd and gain control through destoying key areas, once they've done that they may enter the house and kill the people inside and gain control of the house when everyone inside has been killed? I am writing from my phone right now but when i get home i will revise this post or write a new reply.

As for trading that could be done in peace inside the house. The beuty of this is that alot of the game would remain ad-hoc while the developers just providd with a minimal amount of game mechanics. I also feel that a safe area the size of Balota airfield is too big, there is a max of 50 ppl on a server, it would be better with smaller places, player set up and driven. That way clans and factions can set up their houses in citys and villages. This would suit faction/roleplaying servers that i expect to pop up in the future.

As for spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, sorry, posting from a phone.

• Like 1

Only problem I see with this is the bandits that sit outside the "safe zone" shooting everyone that enters/leaves.

*not sure if anyone said this already I haven't read all the posts.

"Please hardcode a safe zone for us".

It's a sandbox, gather a squad of players and set up your trade zones on servers, use sandbags and wiring fencing to create perimeters, set up protection teams and service teams. For goodness sake, WERE PLAYERS, LETS DO THINGS AND NOT HAVE THE GAME DO THINGS FOR US. "But its too much effort and bandits waaah"; set up in a area of situational BENEFIT - no ones asking you to set up in a major city with an unlimited amount of tactical points that any sniper could pop shot you at.

Set your trading post up somewhere remote but where you can be located, try and set it up at the bottom of a hill so you can post your protection team on the highground.

With all these hardcode suggestions people would think were playing WoW; c'mon guys lets be creative :/

"Please hardcode a safe zone for us".

It's a sandbox' date=' gather a squad of players and set up your trade zones on servers, use sandbags and wiring fencing to create perimeters, set up protection teams and service teams. For goodness sake, WERE PLAYERS, LETS DO THINGS AND NOT HAVE THE GAME DO THINGS FOR US. "But its too much effort and bandits waaah"; set up in a area of situational BENEFIT - no ones asking you to set up in a major city with an unlimited amount of tactical points that any sniper could pop shot you at.

Set your trading post up somewhere remote but where you can be located, try and set it up at the bottom of a hill so you can post your protection team on the highground.

With all these hardcode suggestions people would think were playing WoW; c'mon guys lets be creative :/

[/quote']

Sometimes even sandbox players need a push. For instance, Arma is a sandbox game, but it took zombies to make them PvP. Hence the saying that goes "people in the end don't know what they want. They take granted from what is given." rings true.

Zombies doesn't make me PvP, the idea of combining the need for survival through the consumation of food and water and treating your characters needs and medical issues makes me want to PvP to stay alive. Zombies to me are quite a hinderance and I tend to avoid them rather than engage them. If the game focused its developed around PvP and Survival it would be incredible.

I think on a well organised clan server this can be realised. With the further introductions of items to fortify and entrench.

If a few clans get their teeth into this mod, that would possibly be the way to handle this. A "safe" area policed and patrolled by a group of players, but at the same time always with the possibility of nastiness either breaking out inside or a bandit or 2 taking a pop at the guards, etc.

The bar area in Stalker could be almost implemented where there is a large compound/town guarded and patrolled but also able to be attacked, and right in the centre a barn or similar where you have to holster your gun or be shot and killed, or similar.

I mainly back this idea just because I ****** love Stalker.

The PVP factor is important in DayZ. And its one of the things that sets the mood of zombie apocalypse. Kill other survivors for their stuff is a path of survival that some people. As long as this sort of thing doesn't mess with that, I think it's a great idea.

This idea needs to be thought throu and well planned before being implemented. Because this freezone could be exploited plenty.

idk i like it the way it is!

People can trade but at their own risk! like real life! If there is a trade hub it isnt as realistic. then what we would add npcs so that if something gets stolen they would get run down by npcs?? idk in my opinion it ruins it. I mean right now you can trade but you have risk. So in my opinion do your own private trades in your own ways.

Its a nice idea, maybe rocket could designate a safe zone and spawn some god-npc's with big guns, anyone who fires gets killed by them instantly, maybe.. it would be nice for a "trading hub" at some stage!

Its a nice idea' date=' maybe rocket could designate a safe zone and spawn some god-npc's with big guns, anyone who fires gets killed by them instantly, maybe.. it would be nice for a "trading hub" at some stage!

[/quote']

Won't work. Imagine a bandit looking in from 500m with an m107? A bunch of guys in a fucking *town* standing around talking and trading. Do it out in the forest, it's already a safe zone.

As for your AI big gun guys, sure, they can take a shot at the bandit who fires in from a distance. Sure. But then lets say one single zombie gets within 500m of the safe zone, or someone has to defend themselves from a griefer? Or even shoot a wild animal within 500m of the safe zone. Do they get instantly targeted by these "ai" guys?

It's just a silly MMO trope, it has no place in the game.

There are several scripts for ARMA out that remove fired munitions from the game within certain areas.....but then all you have to do is wait until people leave that safe bubble.

Its a nice idea' date=' maybe rocket could designate a safe zone and spawn some god-npc's with big guns, anyone who fires gets killed by them instantly, maybe.. it would be nice for a "trading hub" at some stage!

[/quote']

Won't work. Imagine a bandit looking in from 500m with an m107? A bunch of guys in a fucking *town* standing around talking and trading. Do it out in the forest, it's already a safe zone.

As for your AI big gun guys, sure, they can take a shot at the bandit who fires in from a distance. Sure. But then lets say one single zombie gets within 500m of the safe zone, or someone has to defend themselves from a griefer? Or even shoot a wild animal within 500m of the safe zone. Do they get instantly targeted by these "ai" guys?

It's just a silly MMO trope, it has no place in the game.

...or shoot in from outside?

or do you mean something like a "force field?"

Still, i dont see what demand in the game this would be satisfying, other than the demand to implement mmo mechanics just because theyre in other games.

Yeah, it is esentialy a force field. Any bullets/mortar rounds/etc are simply removed from the game when they are in certain sectors of the map as well as one zarglife uses where you are automatically warned then killed if you fire so many rounds inside a certain areas, spawnpoints in the case of zarglife. The only issue with the force field is that all you ahve to do is wait until someone leaves it and POP goes your weasel

...or shoot in from outside?

or do you mean something like a "force field?"

Still' date=' i dont see what demand in the game this would be satisfying, other than the demand to implement mmo mechanics just because theyre in other games.

[/quote']