ShazMo09

How much ping is too much?

Just wondering because ive joined servers with over 200 ping and the game still seems to run smoothly! How much is too much and at what point does it start affecting gameplay?

I try not to join servers with over 175-200 ping, i get a bit of lag and might end up getting kicked for my ping shooting up every now and again.

Play on whatever servers you want, But i reckon over 200 ping is not good.

250ms is 1/4 of a second, and that's a mighty loooong time in computer gaming terms. I'd rather stay under the 50ms mark but as Hazza stated, in Arma you can get away with over 150 ping if you have to. I think it only starts kicking up around 200 - 250. I've also played on servers with 18 - 25 ping, but was laggy as hell due to other factors (Bandwidth and Desync?). I'm not familiar with those parameters.

Hello there

In almost all games I have ever played, I've always aimed for under 100, very rarely I'll join a 100+ Arma server, but never over 150.

This has no scientific basis, it's just what I do and for the most part keeps things nice and smooth.

I find it a bit rude to join a server with a high ping. (ive never vocalised it though)

rgds

LoK

Since i am in Australia i often find that i have to play with about a 200 ping. This hasnt caused too many problems (i hope) but i wouldnt go too much over that. You will start getting kicked over 200 anyway.

Of course lower is better for everyone, but sometimes you dont have a choice if you want to play on a particular map.

Being Australia as well I play on a lot of US servers with 200+ ping. I can play with up to 300 ping. It's not laggy.

You wont notice the lag playing with a 200 ping, however the lag is there and it can get you killed easily.

Lets say you have 250 ping and you run into someone on the battlefield also with a 250 ping. What happens is that it is essentially causing half a second of delay during which time bullets fired by both parties will be registered and if both players are accurate both will die.

If each player had a ping of 20 the delay between action by player and the server are so quick that the person who fires first is the person that will survive.

Higher pings will result in trading shots a lot more often, and you will also always be one step behind allowing you to be shot while running behind cover.

when you experience the game as laggy that is caused by desync and will cause the gameplay to run choppy or view objects moving straight in the last direction they were going then seemingly teleporting back when everything resyncs

I'm a bit of a diva, I'd never knowingly join a game with >50 ping, lol. I've played on US servers with 100 ping and it was playable though. PvP was a bit screwy compared to what I'm used to, but apart from that it was fine.

Us Aussies seem to have little choice, what with us being the arsehole of the world and all. Average ping is generally 200ish. One day we might catch up with the rest of the world!

Anything up to 150 is considered the tolerable range for Arma 2 so long as it's steady... Lots of Jitter and you're going to have lots of problems.