Publik

(Another) Trading Post that might actually succeed?

Didn't read through the entire thread, so I'm not sure if someone mentioned this but you can get to the island with a gun (at least in my experience). At the very least, a Makarov doesn't drop into the ocean (not sure about other pistols--I think primaries or maybe guns you're not holding drop; ammo doesn't seem to drop), so if someone's super sneaky and swims over, they could kill everyone, loot some stuff and steal a vehicle.

If this succeeds, DayZ will be taken to the next level. I'm pretty sure this is what Rocket envisioned. No forced "no pvp" zones, just people organising and pooling their mental and material resources to make things happen!

I'm hoping for more DayZ updates towards fortification: baricading doors, (wooden)walls, gates, towers.

Really the best thing now to do is to get a TS meeting together.

Identify the who, what, when, where items.

Get the people broken down the groups, get a loose Chain of Command going so that gathering of supplies can happen.

Really hesitant to start this with the only form of contact being this forum and our steam group.

Didn't read through the entire thread' date=' so I'm not sure if someone mentioned this but you can get to the island with a gun (at least in my experience). At the very least, a Makarov doesn't drop into the ocean (not sure about other pistols--I think primaries or maybe guns you're not holding drop; ammo doesn't seem to drop), so if someone's super sneaky and swims over, they could kill everyone, loot some stuff and steal a vehicle.

[/quote']

Yeah, Vulf and I talked about that during our steam chat yesterday too.

It's true that people might make it over there with their sidearm. Hell, as far as I know, someone could make it over there with a Mk48 Mod0, if he was lucky enough.

What I do know, though, is that the chances of that are very low, given that to get there you have to swim at the very least 370 meters of water, and on the way over you'll be unable to fire your weapon. Easy prey for a couple of guards with M16/4s, DMRs and M249s.

You'll also still have server hoppers. A guy taking an M1911 over there could still do some damage if you're not careful.

Might be able to take him down when he logs in, with him still being in either "Loading" or "Receiving" black-screen.

As it stands, that's still far better than anywhere else you could go.

The idea of a moving convoy has been brought up as well, and personally I don't believe it's a better idea, but that's a whole other story that I won't go into detail on right now, if nobody else brings it up specifically :P

Really the best thing now to do is to get a TS meeting together.

Identify the who' date=' what, when, where items.

Get the people broken down the groups, get a loose Chain of Command going so that gathering of supplies can happen.

Really hesitant to start this with the only form of contact being this forum and our steam group.

[/quote']

I hear you completely. Fear not, PM's have been blazing across the internet between your three fearless leaders. I anticipate a TS meeting within the next two days, three on the outside, during which we will hopefully get down a solid server, location, set of standard operating procedures, hours of operation, etc.

We're currently laboring a bit under a fairly large timezone stretch, but I believe that this will prove to be a blessing once things are on the move, since the higher-ups (as of now, upward mobility is always nice) will be well spread over timezones.

The idea of a moving convoy has been brought up as well' date=' and personally I don't believe it's a better idea, but that's a whole other story that I won't go into detail on right now, if nobody else brings it up specifically :P

[/quote']

I agree with this for the most part, except for the fact that without a very high level of trust, organization and sheer number of willing and able "guards", setting up a defendable base that can be protected from all kinds of threats will be difficult. A good amount of uninterrupted time and top-of-the-line resources that are still very hard to come by will also be a necessary factor in making a stable base of Skalisty.

Then, of course, there is the fact that we will initially have very little valuable items in possession, which makes 30 minutes of swim time a little less worth it to the people who want to steal our items (assuming WE can get to the island ourselves, we don't currently have the transportation, just swimming), but that may or may not stop the people who just want to ruin our plan for pure entertainment. Those people are out there and can't be ignored; someone will always want to ruin your shit.

I just found out that you still holding your weapon when selected flare.Shit!

...the people who just want to ruin our plan for pure entertainment. Those people are out there and can't be ignored; someone will always want to ruin your shit.

Yeah, that's been discussed in the forum before.

Of all the places to be stationary, Skalisty is the safest in terms of bandit attacks, as anyone trying to swim over will be seen doing so on-server, and anyone server-hopping can be shot while still in Loading or Receiving black-screen.

That's also a major part of why I don't think any "civilians" should be allowed to bring weapons or explosives into the trading area, leaving such items in the custody of the guards.

On the subject of moving trade posts, there's a number of problems, many of which have to do with security and the dangers of certain bugs.

I also believe that driving around sounds a lot more secure than it is. It's important to keep in mind that, while Chernarus might well be the largest map in video game history(?), it's still relatively small in real-world terms.

I don't think it would be as hard to find you on the move as you'd want it to be, and you would have to make stops eventually anyway, at which point any semi-experienced group of bandits shouldn't have a hard time finding you before you move on.

Then there's the problem of random people just wanting to troll you for the lulz, popping off a few rounds at your convoy from a distance.

Hitting a man with the Winchester at 200 meters takes some practice. Hitting the side of an Ural, does not.

First off, I have joined the steam group, TS group etc. and would like to apply as a guard/merc(also stated in steam comments)

Second off, A smart idea is to have 2 boats, 1 for a ferry and another for speedy pickup of VIPs after they die(guards, merc, leaders, anyone who is 100% vital to have around)

Third, Snipers would be a vital supply(not snipers as in people but I mean the rifles) because they can see the longer ranges required to keep those pesky M107/DMR bandits at bay.

Needless to say, we need to get on teamspeak and find a way to gather these "starter" supplies or else we are just going to get f'd from every angle possible...

CoolCat

me and my clan can supply you with loads of guns for some tents.

This would be great, we could get the weaponry to get this going however one thing I forgot to say in our "starter items" list is NVGs.

I bet that the most bandit attacks will be either at night or a dark time of day...

Sounds pretty good so far tho.

CoolCat

Id be willing to help out scavenging for gear or in small patrols for sure!

Ever consider getting a dedicated server for this? I worry a clan of bandits could all log in and keep our survivors from logging in by filling the que. This would make it hard to defend. I'm sure members would be into a password protected server, and you could allow bandits in limited numbers to enjoy the challenge as well... just a thought, throwing it out there, your mileage may vary, etc

Ever consider getting a dedicated server for this? I worry a clan of bandits could all log in and keep our survivors from logging in by filling the que. This would make it hard to defend. I'm sure members would be into a password protected server' date=' and you could allow bandits in limited numbers to enjoy the challenge as well... just a thought, throwing it out there, your mileage may vary, etc

[/quote']

That would be smart but I think that you are not allowed to make a passed server, but then again, I just looked at what is required for server hosters...

CoolCat

Ever consider getting a dedicated server for this? I worry a clan of bandits could all log in and keep our survivors from logging in by filling the que. This would make it hard to defend. I'm sure members would be into a password protected server' date=' and you could allow bandits in limited numbers to enjoy the challenge as well... just a thought, throwing it out there, your mileage may vary, etc

[/quote']

Hadn't crossed my mind, actually... presents a new problem to be thought about.

Damn it :P

Using a password protected server isn't an option, as it's not allowed.

It would sure solve some problems, but it'd also completely destroy it as an in-game concept, and so I'm not even sure people would want to, if we could.

As for Coolcats comments about boats and picking up downed guards, I agree that more than one boat is required, but for actual "VIP pickup," I imagine a boat being somewhat slow for the job.

Huey would be the better option.

As I said before, I don't think locking the server is an option, but if its done just for a short duration of one or two days, that would leave time to actually find a Huey or two, plus some boats.

It may be necessary to gather everything needed and set it up, with a bunch of other people getting in the way, but if the rules could be bent to lock the server for us for that short duration; man... that'd sure make things a lot easier.

Remains to be seen.

Whenever you set this up gimmie a mail, got a ghillie suit for trade. Maybe two ;)

hueys are very prone to damage. We also need tons of jerry cans and dangerous electro trips to refuel them...

having vehicles comes at a price.

could ppl get on the TS3 server, I'm wanting to talk to other people in the group to come up with a gameplan...

CoolCat

I think this is a greaat idea, let me know if you need help. I am sick of wandering aimlessly and constantly dying. This might actually make the game more enjoyable until the zombies get off the steroids they are currently on. :)

It's true Cat, the main thing with the Huey is to not get shot at.

But all that means is you need a good pilot, and whenever you go anywhere, you need to have a good idea of how you're gonna get there, where you'll land and when you'll do so.

Me, I was trained in the ShackTac TTP2, and part of that training involved pre-flight planning, just like any real-life scenario would.

Also, why Elektro? Plenty of other places to get fuel and parts, no? :)

Of all the places to be stationary' date=' Skalisty is the safest in terms of bandit attacks, as anyone trying to swim over will be seen doing so on-server, and anyone server-hopping can be shot while still in Loading or Receiving black-screen.

That's also a major part of why I don't think any "civilians" should be allowed to bring weapons or explosives into the trading area, leaving such items in the custody of the guards.

[/quote']

Indeed Skalisty is the safest by far, but in order to properly use we HAVE to have a lot of people, vehicles, and high-level gear. That's what I was saying for the most part, I don't see a mobile trading post really being practical at all all of the dangers, some of which you mentioned previously.

I'm just trying to be realistic. If the plan is to arm multiple people with sniper rifles, have boats and hueys running, and be able to constantly defend said vehicles as well as an island of vulnerable loot and clients- it's going to take a very long-term and large-scale operation of looting airfields, deer stands, military camps, and the larger cities.

Acquiring and protecting that long enough for it to be returned to the island and stored/used will be a challenge as well, unless a land vehicle/huey is involved. Additionally, we may find an M107 and NVGs at some loot spot, but we havent yet assembled any vehicles. Getting that loot across the island securely could be a problem if any other players are run into.

Once again, I'm just offering my thoughts and trying to help you fine-tune this system by being realistic and finding flaws. Constructive criticism. Good Luck

Acquiring and protecting that long enough for it to be returned to the island and stored/used will be a challenge as well' date=' unless a land vehicle/huey is involved. Additionally, we may find an M107 and NVGs at some loot spot, but we havent yet assembled any vehicles. Getting that loot across the island securely could be a problem if any other players are run into.

Once again, I'm just offering my thoughts and trying to help you fine-tune this system by being realistic and finding flaws. Constructive criticism. Good Luck

[/quote']

Yeah, I've always felt that it would require a Huey or two.

Reading the thread, some people have offered to help arm up, with the stashes they currently have, and that's gonna be a major help, but the main thing is gonna be packing a Huey full of mean men and raiding places like NW Airfield and Stary Sobor.

On some level, I'm actually kinda hoping that we might get a password server for something like two days, while it's all set up.

I know that's frowned upon, yeah, but it would be the single biggest helpful thing we could get, I think.

In the end, it should of course be open, but for the setup, being alone on there would be invaluable.

And you chiming in is fine, don't worry. Pointing out flaws is good :)

Would seriously love to help out scavenging, mercing doing anything at all tbh :)

Send me a pm if you need any help =)

This idea sounds great to me! I've read most of the post in this thread and thought I'd put my 2 cents in regarding the start-up issue.

First things first, a server. You either need your own server or find one. If you have to find one I would recommend finding a low traffic server with a high total available slots, 50 - 60 range imo. The reason for this is simple, the traffic on the server will increase as you spread the word its the trading post server, so traffic isn't an issue. The low initial traffic will help in securing the start-up items required.

Once the server has been picked. You'll need a large force of individuals all available at the same time. I'd say at least 16 - 20 people. Teams of 4 per. You'll be needing to search cherno and electro to find loot quick. Form up on the outskirts of cherno. split into groups and assign blocks of the city for each group to search. The group members should all be in the same channel of Vent/TS. Group members should use VOIP in-game while communicating with their 4 man squad. Only use vent/ts to communicate with the entire force. Friendly fire could be a problem, vent/ts to confirm its one of ours. otherwise stick to VOIP to reduce chatter over the more important vent/ts. Once cherno has been cleared regroup outside and head to electro, ect...

This is a large undertaking and you will need a large amount of people initially to get it going. the 16 - 20 people will not only fill up server slots allowing for safer travel, but the large groups and much larger overall unit will deter anyone but the most brave/suicidal from attempting to kill the party members. You will also easily be able to recover anyone's body should the unfortunate event occur.

A single helo should be the highest priority, second to that a boat. Anything to get you over to the island quickly. Find some tents and set up. More than likely there won't be anyone else over there. Once transportation has been established the pieces should fall into place. once everything is all good and dandy and ready to be tested. You inform the world what server the post is up on. DO NOT post where it's going to be before you're ready to trade. All that will accomplish is getting bandits to hinder your progress.

I highly recommend you get your own server for something like this. I don't know the requirements to own a server for this mod, but you really should try. You will be able to control the name of the server and ensure it is up-to-date and won't just randomly disappear. resulting in the loss of all that work. after the post is up you can change the name of the server to something like 'US - 1.X.X.X - Trading Post' or something similar lol.

Anyway. I love the Idea and would love to help in anyway I can. I'm very new to this mod but I can't get enough!

I thought that electro was the closest area to get it and also, If we can get our first huey, I'll be more than happy to fly us a quick run to the the NW airfield and fly off till extraction is called for could be the best option for saving fuel and other things like that.

Also if you have TS could you please try to get on, It's easier to plan on there than on a forum lol.

This seems like a really cool plan. Especially if ya'll can eventually get trading posts on multiple servers. Anyways I'd like to get my feet dipped into this action.