Publik

(Another) Trading Post that might actually succeed?

I'm down for helping with this; maybe in a logistics or fetcher role. I'm not big on PKing, but I could do guard duty as well, if needed; I just don't have the weaponry right now.

Not sure of what help I can be, but I don't mind doing supply runs or guard duty. If anything I would only require water and food, possibly ammo if my position requires it.

It seems the most logical progression would be to start with a mobile before ever attempting a base. This would allow for a large inventory build up, require less manpower, and be easier to guard and/or get away during bandit raids.

I guess once the server is picked, it will then need a handful of vehicles (large truck for holding mobile inventory, and small vehicles for raids and/or meeting traders with tradees), and a few standard locations where a trader representative can be met. The first few days would probably be gathering ammo and blood packs to trade out with your average scavenger (requesting the priorty for vehicle parts).

I have yet to ever find a vehicle or even a tent for that matter so I have no idea how long it would take to put together a small fleet.

Keep everyone posted on the updates to the project, and good luck actually getting something solidified.

I'm worried about bandits patrolling the area for survivors inbound and outbound.

That is a concern, but I don't think it's a monumental one. If we can control a good amount of land around our base (with sightlines, patrols, etc.), then that would provide a wealth of entry and exit points from our area.

We could also establish a policy where anyone we see attacked within an area where we can successfully project force is treated as a customer, and their attackers sniped into oblivion. Such a policy might invite "damsel in distress" ambushes, but we could probably work out a reasonable enough set of guidelines so that such a situation isn't an overwhelming threat.

Stick to the skalisty idea chaps, it will prevent a lot of bad things, and it will be a very secure spot

A nice idea would be if every trader hold just flare or can in his hand. Everyone with a gun is a guard or supposed to be dead.

A nice idea would be if every trader hold just flare or can in his hand. Everyone with a gun is a guard or supposed to be dead.

I like this, I think you just hit the nail on the head with that idea flaep, if they pull out a weapon, a guard would more easily be able to identify them as a potential threat.

Yeah, that'd actually work.

I still think it'd be a good idea to have people leave their weapons in a guard tent prior to letting them into the main area, but prior to leaving the weapon, yeah.

If people then wanna bring in a weapon for trade, the buyer would then pick it up upon leaving.

The same thing could be done with any form of explosives.

I do think this guard tent would have to be on the island itself though, and not on some place next to it. It'd be too juicy a target not to properly secure it, and you wouldn't wanna use extra manpower for that.

Yeah' date=' that'd actually work.

I still think it'd be a good idea to have people leave their weapons in a guard tent prior to letting them into the main area, but prior to leaving the weapon, yeah.

If people then wanna bring in a weapon for trade, the buyer would then pick it up upon leaving.

The same thing could be done with any form of explosives.

I do think this guard tent would have to be on the island itself though, and not on some place next to it. It'd be too juicy a target not to properly secure it, and you wouldn't wanna use extra manpower for that.

[/quote']

I discussed this back in Trading post Delta with VictorM, we pretty much came to the conclusion that most people wont be comfortable separating with their weapons, I do think that with enough player feedback and a good reputation gained over time that this would be possible.

But the problem with it is when we come under attack, there may be a scrabble for clients to get their weapons back, maybe in the confusion someone walks away with an extra weapon.

But the problem with it is when we come under attack' date=' there may be a scrabble for clients to get their weapons back, maybe in the confusion someone walks away with an extra weapon.

[/quote']

If you come under attack, anyone trying to grab their weapon should be shot.

It would be way too easy to "fake" an attack, either from the mainland or by a couple of server hoppers, only to have the people you already put on the island for trade go and get their weapons, revealing themselves as the real threat.

Not to mention the crazy amount of confusion that would bring, people could easily shoot each other, not knowing who is who.

Hell, in a crisis situation, you might even see some of your own people exchange gunfire, just out of confusion.

To clarify:

Just two days ago, after I accidentally threw myself off the hospital roof in Berezino (don't ask), I was running up from Balota to Stary Sobor.

On the way there, I came across a Mk48 Mod0 on the ground next to a crashed UH-1Y.

If I had four or five guys, I could take that thing, plus one of the guys with an easily obtainable AKM, and blast away at the top of the treeline of Skalisty from 100 meters up the hillside on the mainland, where it's all covered in forest.

I'd have trouble hitting anything. It wouldn't be effective fire.

Unless it caused a panic, and my four guys were allowed access to their automatics in the guard tent :P

To me, having people with weapons on the island is a massive security risk, and I'm 100% sure you will slowly disintegrate without making people check their weapons.

If the old west made it work, so can you :)

Actually you very well could defend it 24/7. After about 1-2 weeks if the popularity is high enough then it would be fairly easy (from a numbers standpoint) to have it guarded 24/7. Sure there would be times of weakness, but it would always be possible to have several guards on it.

I like where this is going, seems to be getting a lot of positive feedback and suggestions, although I haven't yet seen anyone in the steam chat or ts3. Sure would like to actually have a conversation with some of the officers/supporters to really figure some stuff out. It's all speculation right now and I think that we need to actually put some of it into action, starting with gathering weapons, resources, and vehicle parts/vehicles.

I like where this is going' date=' seems to be getting a lot of positive feedback and suggestions, although I haven't yet seen anyone in the steam chat or ts3. Sure would like to actually have a conversation with some of the officers/supporters to really figure some stuff out. It's all speculation right now and I think that we need to actually put some of it into action, starting with gathering weapons, resources, and vehicle parts/vehicles.

[/quote']

I just finished having a long steam chat with Amentes, very useful, I'll summarise it into useful points at some point as food for thought in the thread.

Me, Kurkistan and Publik are currently discussing the best way to communicate to each other before going any further(I'm in a different time zone which doesn't help), when we are set I want to push for some solid decisions made on location, server and perhaps initial guards etc.

I'll do my best to keep you lot updated on what's happening off forum so you don't think its just dead. :P

An update from on high: We are in the process of setting up a meeting to set plans for an initial base and/or preparations for that initial base, quite possibly over TS3.

We (Publik, Vulwulf, and I) are still ironing out the chain of command (I voted that it be the chain that I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here, but I was overruled) and fluid communications, but things are smoothing out quite rapidly.

EDIT: I can't really call it ninja, since I was 15 minutes later than Vulwulf, but I suppose that this goes to show that we're still working out who does what. :)

Well, who says we have to defend a location 24/7

I wouldn't be suprised if Walking Militia has Squad Nights, or something of that nature.

Perhaps if we only set up a trading post for 3 hours every Friday or something of that nature.

24/7 Guarding would be a little silly. We could set up individual camps or trust the officers enough to hold all trade items in a bank system. Throughout the week on a server, you drop off the goods, the Officers would move the items to a location of their choosing. On Trade Day, Officer will move to Skalisty Island and set up shop.

3 hours (less or more) would be a easily attainable feature. Also it is possible to rotate trade days and location to trip up bandits.

Well' date=' who says we have to defend a location 24/7

I wouldn't be suprised if Walking Militia has Squad Nights, or something of that nature.

Perhaps if we only set up a trading post for 3 hours every Friday or something of that nature.

24/7 Guarding would be a little silly. We could set up individual camps or trust the officers enough to hold all trade items in a bank system. Throughout the week on a server, you drop off the goods, the Officers would move the items to a location of their choosing. On Trade Day, Officer will move to Skalisty Island and set up shop.

3 hours (less or more) would be a easily attainable feature. Also it is possible to rotate trade days and location to trip up bandits.

[/quote']

I quite like that, especially in these early days. A nice compromise between our desire to offer permanent storage and the hardship of defending a camp 24/7. Even when we have a semi-permanent set up, not having to defend it at night would be invaluable. People also can't steal tents, so we could still use tent storage during hours of operation, then move stuff out of them after we shut down.

I will be going on an expedition specifically to find vehicle parts and fortification kits for you guys very soon. Its time to make this a reality.

I'd be honored and happy to help out with this endeavor, in any way I can. I've seen a lot of good discussion go on back and forth and hope to contribute. I have TS and I'll join the Steam group shortly.

Sign me up, I have a mic and I'm interested in being a Bodyguard or mercenary. I'll join up with the steam group when I get the chance.

I joined your group. I'm definitely interested in joining this operation as anything you need.. I'll work whatever is needed at the time and try to fill in where areas are short.

You should set up a little meet and greet at some point in the game.. or make a list of the things you need to get the main base of operations... operational. Send me a message if you need anything, I play a lot.