Sign in to follow this  
flether

Calling "friendly!" in towns

Honestly, so far this has had no effect. I call out "Friendly, hold fire. Respond or I will fire on sight". So far this has only resulted in a firefight if they've seen me, or me having to sneak around until I can ambush the other person and take them out since they completely ignore me.

I'm not trying to be a bandit, I'm just playing safe and trying to do so by NOT having to shoot people on my 3rd day of the game... What's your experience?

Works to great effect for me, I'm making a video just on this, how to instigate PvP without dying. When i see a player and I call friendly before they a )shoot at me b )see me first, I have lived more times than dying. This includes calling friendly to bandits.

Most times I call "friendly" to state my intention and then GTFO without a gun battle. But even when I decide to make contact I have lived more times than i have been betrayed. I always record my encounters with people for the sake of interesting situations that arise. The majority of those videos end well.

Three main considerations.

Recon, "Where/what/who/how" and the time spent around that player.

1)

Recon: Get the drop on the person/person's before they see you. You will determine their curret loadout and their dispostion. Exmaple: you see a neutral survivor walking into a hospital with an AKM and 1 min later you hear an AKM firing and Leeenfield return fire he aint cool! I've stalked gunfire for 20 minutes to see if they were firendly people or not, they were and we fixed a heli.

2)

*Where, are you standing, what town/location are you in?

*Who? Armed? Unarmed? Bandit? Hero? Noobie? Group? Desperado with an axe and nothing to loose? Each is different. Avoid groups 99% of the time, control axe people make sure they don't get close etc.. etc...

*How, do you sound geunine? Angry, pasive, controlling? Each situation merits a different approach. What I don't like about your approach is that if sombody says they are going to shoot on sight if I don't do as they say, as you do, it pisses me off and I'm already inclined to shoot you. I'm a player that likes his ego and winning in my own way more than my gear. A simple "friendly bro, don't shoot". Short, simple, not aggresive.

A more subtle passive aggresive way to put the fear of death into a player is by calling "friendly" from a defened location or have good recon on them "Hey dude in the corner of red house I'm friednly". They don't know where you are but let them know that you know where they are. Once I had such good recon I saw a player on a school roof, another player walked into the building and I said "Hey to the dude that came into the school I'm friendly and on the roof", he was my bait (got the result of that on video, spoiler: there isn't blood just scared people running around)

*What, what weapon? Are you stronger or weaker? Can you win the fight on paper when comparing your gear?

3)

Last consideration: The time you spend around that player. Do you simply want to avoid bullets or do you want to engage that person in coverstation?

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 3

trolling again are we Leroy?

OP it's a good idea to combine your "friendly, friendlies?" with taking cover behind a shelf in a store or something solid. People react more peacefully when they don't have to make an instant decision, while someone is waving a large handgun in their face.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 4

Many thanks to Trizzo, some good tips there, and I hadn't really considered how hostile my approach sounded =p

I do tend to stalk the person a bit, and I generally call out their location when asking friendly. So far I've never found someone without them having fired first, which makes finding them pretty easy. Just follow the zeds =p

I simply want to call a seize -fire, and sometimes ask for a transfusion. The question is tho... How do you get someone to trust you to help with infusion? I've spent quite alot of time just raiding all the food I can find for the sake of blood instead of getting a nice supply saved up, which isn't really optimal imo. Tips?

I simply want to call a seize -fire, and sometimes ask for a transfusion. The question is tho... How do you get someone to trust you to help with infusion? I've spent quite alot of time just raiding all the food I can find for the sake of blood instead of getting a nice supply saved up, which isn't really optimal imo. Tips?

For transfusions quote this to them, "Sit down on the ground by pressing the key the left of Enter" shorter is usally better "Press the keyboard key left of enter" (it makes them sit down on the ground in the game) If they hesitate, "I could have killed you by now if i wanted too ( say this only if you actully could have) I just want to the points". If the point about you being able to kill them is true, both statements are correct to both parties they usally will agree with these terms. At minimum make them go prone and tell them not to move their mouse.I have exmaples of this on video.

I learnt this lesson after an axe man betrayed my medic assitance. If somebody is tracing your movments or aiming down the sights in an unbroken fashion they are pretty much bad people.

I usally sit down for people giving me transfusions (or go to the coast and hold up a fresh spawn to transfuse me). People always hang back and hesitate when you're crouched but when you sit down they jump in. (got this on video too) This leaves you vunerable but sometimes you have to take people on faith...

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 2

I still say "Friendly?" to bandits. They usually don't shoot me (Hero Skin BTW); but I get killed by regular people more than actual bandits.

That brings two more questions (sorry, but as stated, I've played this for about 3 days now xD):

1: How do you sit/put your weapon away?

2: Eh. I don't remember anymore. But suffice it to say learning this game the hard way is... Hard =p

To sit down, Press the keyboard key left of enter, Look at the keyboard->find enter->look one key left->press it in the game. It's this key '

You can only put primary weapons/melee weapons down (but melee weapons will look raised anyway because the animation isn't distinct) Double left control with a rifle up. It depends where you are and what you want out of the game but walking around like this looks far less aggressive. To a player that knows their way around the game and controls anybody who bothers to constantly double press control and sneaks/walks/talks to me with a lowered gun is probally friendly.

Edited by Trizzo

I still say "Friendly?" to bandits. They usually don't shoot me (Hero Skin BTW); but I get killed by regular people more than actual bandits.

You are a hero, you see bandits, shoot 'em in the face! (and be nice and warm with everybody else).

You are a hero, you see bandits, shoot 'em in the face! (and be nice and warm with everybody else).

Wrong before you shot a bandit, try to rob them first. Teach them the way of the bandit hero style.

Killjoy you need to learn the real reason people are called carebear, just because someone doesn't KoS or PvP doesn't make them a carebear. Crying on the forums for punishment to the bad PvP'ers, or crying to the Devs. to make the game easier is carebear. Plenty of people throw that term around and haven't a plucking clue what a true carebear is. ( :beans: THE MORE YOU KNOW :emptycan:)

• Like 3

Everyone tends to have this dilemma while starting out. Nobody wants to be a complete dick, but everyone else just panics and shoots on sight. The way I found to get around it is to get to some sort of concealed vantage point and scout out the area first. If you see someone from afar, approach them from behind and stalk them at a distance for a bit. Once they are in a vulnerable position (looting or looking at their inventory, for example) tell them, in the most calm voice possible, to stay exactly where they are and not to turn around. If they turn around, you SHOULD kill them immediately. If they are smart enough to listen to you, tell them to put their weapon down and back away slowly. Make sure you inform them that, as long as they do as you say, they will get to keep their loot. The key is in the tone of your voice. If you sound the least bit panicky or shaky, they are going to try to take advantage of it. Make it sound like you know exactly what you are doing and that you aren't someone to fuck with. In DayZ, always make someone afraid of you before doing them a favor, because if try to do it the other way around, people are always going to take advantage of your generosity.

That brings two more questions (sorry, but as stated, I've played this for about 3 days now xD):

1: How do you sit/put your weapon away?

2: Eh. I don't remember anymore. But suffice it to say learning this game the hard way is... Hard =p

"putting a weapon away" can be done in a few different ways. a common way to show that you are friendly is to salute (default: \)

Also, sitting down and surrendering can help depending on the situation (I forget the keybinds, which isn't good of me)

you can also double tap left CTRL to lower your primary firearm, or you can simply drop the weapon or put it in your backpack if it fits

I've started just saying "Hello" to people. in a calm friendly voice. I find some people take calling "friendly" as a sign of weakness. Where as when you just greet them, it throws them off and lets them know you're not scared or weak.

Some people will respond better when you show them you had the upper hand. When someone doesn't see you, and you make the effort to approach them and talk, they know you had a chance to easily kill them outright. So, they're more likely to trust you.

It also helps to read body language. When I see someone in a city I'll get close enough to talk (staying hidden/behind cover) and say hello, if they don't respond and start looking around with gun at the ready, or even worse drop down or take cover, I turn tail and run. If they come out of cover and look for you, Or respond with voice or text, I usually approach them with my weapon lowered or holstered.

Also, worth mentioning that military spawns (barracks, fire stations, air towers) are the worst possible spot to run into another player. I've started avoiding these places because it seems like even the more friendly players are paranoid enough to kill anyone they see. If you see someone there, maybe wait until they leave that building before approaching them.

Edited by bad_mojo

I used to say "Friendly!" along with a whole spiel about how I'm a medic and honorbound not to harm them. That only worked a small number of times, usually I just got shot.

Now, I say something more like "Speak up or die!" "Drop the gun or it's over." etcetera when I encounter someone. It doesn't always work, but it's worked often enough. I get lots of other friendlies panicing and vehemently stating their good intentions (often in a desperate voice to boot) and we can progress from there. The downside is that they're usually careful around me afterwards and less prone to friendly companionship.

It's important not to be too threatening though, some people might panic and attempt to engage you if you order them to drop their equipment, even if they're friendly too.

I still try the old way sometimes and sometimes make new friends, but the new method has worked pretty well for me. If you're threatening, you'll scare legitimate friendlies into a quick response and quickly defuse a situation, while also gaining a reasonable idea of whether or not someone is friendly. I've had to enact my threat more times than I'd like and kill the silent ones, but it's kept me alive well enough. Once you 'defuse' an immediate shootout, try to be altruistic. Donate a weapon if they need one (and they don't seem like a psychodick), donate food or water or medicine. Help someone out, and nine times out of ten if they haven't shot you already they're not going to. Works well enough for me, your mileage may vary.

I'm past the friendly stage I'm on to ninja blood bagging. Roll in behind the person when there not paying attention and try to blood bag that shit up quick. I've been startle fired many times but I still think its hilarious when they thank me after shooting me.

PS-throw a smoke on the opposite side of the building so they focus on that area then slip'em one

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 2

I'm past the friendly stage I'm on to ninja blood bagging. Roll in behind the person when there not paying attention and try to blood bag that shit up quick. I've been startle fired many times but I still think its hilarious when they thank me after shooting me.

PS-throw a smoke on the opposite side of the building so they focus on that area then slip'em one

Wow...that's intense...i thought a video series called Crossbow Chronicles would be intense but this takes the cake!

Edited by Trizzo

Wow...that's intense...i thought a video series called Crossbow Chronicles would be intense but this takes the cake!

I'll be posting a montage in the gallery tomorrow shit gets real

• Like 1

Wrong before you shot a bandit, try to rob them first. Teach them the way of the bandit hero style.

Killjoy you need to learn the real reason people are called carebear, just because someone doesn't KoS or PvP doesn't make them a carebear. Crying on the forums for punishment to the bad PvP'ers, or crying to the Devs. to make the game easier is carebear. Plenty of people throw that term around and haven't a plucking clue what a true carebear is. ( :beans: THE MORE YOU KNOW :emptycan:)

They use carebear cause they saw it on the forums and they think using it makes them hardcore. Leave the children alone and let them have their fun.

Don't you listen to this guy you teenage badasses, keep calling everyone carebears and dream of the day you don't have to do what mommy says anymore.

It doesn't always work. Sometimes, you'll get some surprising results. Just the other day, I had some wonderful gentleman blood bag me after a hatchet-gone-wrong incident at Balotta. Of course, you're more likely to just get shot, or once you let your guard down, catch a bullet to the back of the skull. But that's DayZ.

Honestly, so far this has had no effect. I call out "Friendly, hold fire. Respond or I will fire on sight". So far this has only resulted in a firefight if they've seen me, or me having to sneak around until I can ambush the other person and take them out since they completely ignore me.

I'm not trying to be a bandit, I'm just playing safe and trying to do so by NOT having to shoot people on my 3rd day of the game... What's your experience?

The second day I had this game a buddy and I that I had over for a weekend of lanning were in the northern firehouse in Electro. We noticed two guys running around outside so we took up a position. THey bother noticed inside and started yellling friendly. We dropped our guard and moments later they came running in shooting.

Later that day different server. The hangars at balota airfield. Buddy and I were lootting the hangars and we catch two guys running around looting the adjacent hangar. THey approached us yelling friendly!! dont shoot! momenta later I was dead and my buddy was standing over both there bodies.

Fool me once shame on you! fool me twice shame on me!! Now if you yell friendly I will shoot you in the fucking head then hide your "friendly" body.