venthos

Crash course on the 1.7.3 Combat System (by the person who wrote it)

Oh, hmm. Well, then I'm not entirely sure how to respond to how you came to that conclusion. Did you not read the original post or something? I'm at a loss for words as to how you think using direct coms would influence this system in any way. I'm going to just have to chalk up your post to trolling.

Thus far, I like the new update. I haven't specifically noticed any situation where I knew for certain we (my squad) prevented someone from aborting, but I'm sure the combat system has been working in our favor to prevent those pesky aborters. However, I agree with some people that while the system is a good start, it still has work to be done. For example, I would think that an SD weapon would not trigger combat unless it landed by you, as right now it essentially nulls the entire point of having SD weapons for PVP. Furthermore, it would be a lot better if actions didn't trigger the combat timer. I can't think of any realistic scenarios in which I would want to abort after throwing a can unless I was being shot, which is already covered in the combat system so to me it seems unnecessary to have a trigger on actions to prevent combat logging.

Thus far, I like the new update. I haven't specifically noticed any situation where I knew for certain we (my squad) prevented someone from aborting, but I'm sure the combat system has been working in our favor to prevent those pesky aborters. However, I agree with some people that while the system is a good start, it still has work to be done. For example, I would think that an SD weapon would not trigger combat unless it landed by you, as right now it essentially nulls the entire point of having SD weapons for PVP. Furthermore, it would be a lot better if actions didn't trigger the combat timer. I can't think of any realistic scenarios in which I would want to abort after throwing a can unless I was being shot, which is already covered in the combat system so to me it seems unnecessary to have a trigger on actions to prevent combat logging.

The fuck are you talking about? I don't understand why people getting shot by a suppressed weapon would not be combat...

The fuck are you talking about? I don't understand why people getting shot by a suppressed weapon would not be combat...

If I am in a city, firing a weapon like an M9 SD at a zombie. Anyone within a range of 70m is instantly going to get flagged for combat and know that someone is within the city firing a gun, as opposed to normally you would not know if someone is firing an SD weapon.

And it shouldn't put you in combat, either. It's not under the list of "things that put you in combat". ;)

I'd refer you back to the original post, as the answers are therein.

You may be thinking of where I said that the term 'combat system' may not be the best terminology, since people complain about 'well how is a tin can combat?!?!?!' and that 'action system' might make a better system. I apologize if you thought I meant walking/picking items up/gathering wood/placing sand bags/etc/etc/etc/etc put you in combat. The best resource for what puts you in combat is the original post.

Are you saying that after 2 hours of play without any interaction with other players on a packed server and some coward shoots me in the back while I'm loading gear in a supermarket, I have to grin and bare it? That logging out before I bleed out is some form of cheating? I am sick and tired of being sniped. Bad enough that zombies can walk through walls. Perhaps shooting in the back should be banned, or at least let me know who killed me so I can go back and track the sucker down.

and a doubt, if I take a shot but I miss him and go over the target and just hit VERY far away, he'll still get combat mode? shot because passing close to the target but not hitting anything near?

self quote douchebag

Are you saying that after 2 hours of play without any interaction with other players on a packed server and some coward shoots me in the back while I'm loading gear in a supermarket, I have to grin and bare it? That logging out before I bleed out is some form of cheating?

Yes, that is a perfect description of a scenario that this system aims to trigger in. The intent is to keep both parties from logging out in that situation and, well, actually play the game instead of logging out. So... yeah, perfect example of where this system comes into play. :)

Yes, that is a perfect description of a scenario that this system aims to trigger in. The intent is to keep both parties from logging out in that situation and, well, actually play the game instead of logging out. So... yeah, perfect example of where this system comes into play. :)

So I no longer have a choice if "Survivor" is just another name for cannon fodder. I have to kill all other players before they kill me. Zombies are just there to make that a little more difficult. Crap game.

• Like 1

So I no longer have a choice if "Survivor" is just another name for cannon fodder. I have to kill all other players before they kill me. Zombies are just there to make that a little more difficult. Crap game.

You still don't have to kill everyone you see. It's your choice. Personally, I always KOS because I love PVP, but if you can find friendlies or join a group, you won't have to kill all other players before they kill you.

Are you saying that after 2 hours of play without any interaction with other players on a packed server and some coward shoots me in the back while I'm loading gear in a supermarket, I have to grin and bare it? That logging out before I bleed out is some form of cheating? I am sick and tired of being sniped. Bad enough that zombies can walk through walls. Perhaps shooting in the back should be banned, or at least let me know who killed me so I can go back and track the sucker down.

Lol, you've just described combat logging perfectly. It doesn't mean you now have to KOS, it does however mean you now have to be more careful and play legit. Meaning that if you feel threatened or come under fire that you can't just give up and save your precious beans. You'll either have to fight or flee from now on and that's how DayZ is intended to be played.

Huh?

That quote baffles me. People have been so busy combat logging, they actually think shutting down the game, is a part of survival. It sounds like 1983's Wargames: "The only way to win is to not play..."

Everybody knows that supermarkets are points of interest, so on full servers, you better loot with your back against the wall, you better loot fast and you better get the hell out of there, before a wizard with a high caliber wand turns you into a sitting duck!

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 2

If I am in a city, firing a weapon like an M9 SD at a zombie. Anyone within a range of 70m is instantly going to get flagged for combat and know that someone is within the city firing a gun, as opposed to normally you would not know if someone is firing an SD weapon.

Oh right, now I got it. Sorry about that.

So essentially, PVP is now absolutely required. Non-compliance is punishable by public shaming and potential admin ban.

So essentially, PVP is now absolutely required. Non-compliance is punishable by public shaming and potential admin ban.

just because someone shoots at you doesn't mean you have to shoot back.

whingy alt f4ers trying to make it look as if this system is a bad thing because it takes away your ability to "play" like a douche.

Edited by Dankine

just because someone shoots at you doesn't mean you have to shoot back.

whingy alt f4ers trying to make it look as if this system is a bad thing because it takes away your ability to "play" like a douche.

I have never used Alt+F4 to leave the game. If I am attacked, I usually flee (or die trying), as I don't enjoy or seek out PVP in this particular game.

The concern is that this system appears to favour and encourage PVP - ie: the suggestion that I should fill another players 'cranium full of lead' simply because s/he chucked a tin can somewhere nearby.

I have never used Alt+F4 to leave the game. If I am attacked, I usually flee (or die trying), as I don't enjoy or seek out PVP in this particular game.

The concern is that this system appears to favour and encourage PVP - ie: the suggestion that I should fill another players 'cranium full of lead' simply because s/he chucked a tin can somewhere nearby.

So how does this change affect you in the least then?

It discourages (stops) alt f4ing. I would say that saying it encourages pvp is quite a strange way to look at it. Especially since the system in no way encourages you to shoot back. Simply stops the gimps who gamequit.

Edited by Dankine

The backlash from combat loggers is hilarious.

Look, it just means you need to be more careful. Your actions have consequences. You have to learn what is risky and what isn't. Your heart SHOULD be racing when you enter a town after building a character for a couple of days. When you combat log you're avoiding the consequences of your actions.

anyone with 1.7.3 & BLISS 4.0 having trouble seeing these messages?

I havent seen any yet (yay 10k community), but I had 1-2 testers dork around before we went live and didnt see any messages when I asked them to try. I guess I can attempt to replicate again, but just wanted to check with people

I haven't seen these messages yet and have personally dealt with several combat-logging twats since the patch. Is it not working on all hives?