Ranger79

Official disconnect thread

I didn't realise they are rare lol. some lucky bugger who killed me has it now.

The thought of disconnecting to avoid being killed/looted never crossed my mind until a few days ago I was killed by a bandit. I was casually creeping about at night and got shot, I had already decided I was only trying out the night time play until I was killed so after being shot clicked out of the server assuming anything I had would have been looted and next time I'd have to start again. I logged a couple days later to find I was in the same place with the same gear, not sure if it was a glitch or if it was a case of logging out before having a chance to be looted. Some form of disconnecting/logging out sequence is definitely needed at somepoint down the development line to make it fair for everyone.

There should be a timeout on DC then? Like in World of Warcraft and most other similar games - if you disconnect, your character remains in game for another 15-30 seconds.

Completely and easily nullifies the use of DC.

There should be a timeout on DC then? Like in World of Warcraft and most other similar games - if you disconnect' date=' your character remains in game for another 15-30 seconds.

[/quote']

Yeah, give it time, it's an alpha.

Spawn protection will come in some form too, no doubt.

The whole "Ban Him!" idea is unworkable. A rule that can't be enforced is no rule at all.

Welcome to online pvp --if there's a way to exploit the game someone will find it and use it til the exploit is found and fixed by the Devs.

The exploiters are in fact needed to uncover the flaws in the game code.

Hate to say it but they're the real alpha-testers.

Alpha--Beta--Gold.

Multiple times bullshit situations have had me in a bind, and I know other players have as well.

For example:

Silent zombies

Gear bugs

Windows force minimizing

Lag

The list goes on.

Being able to log out immediately is a stress saving feature that should be left alone.

I want some kind of ban for that but it HAVES TO WORK ONLY WITH PEOPLE WHO DISCONNECT ON PURPOSE!

Once I was kicked by battle eye in a zombie fight. There was also 2 times I suddenly disconnected somehow while zombies where around - It could have killed them actually, but the game disconnected me.

I don't want to lose my stuff just because suddenly the anti cheat thing goes batshit for some awkward reason ...

I want some kind of ban for that but it HAVES TO WORK ONLY WITH PEOPLE WHO DISCONNECT ON PURPOSE!

Once I was kicked by battle eye in a zombie fight. There was also 2 times I suddenly disconnected somehow while zombies where around - It could have killed them actually' date=' but the game disconnected me.

I don't want to lose my stuff just because suddenly the anti cheat thing goes batshit for some awkward reason ...

[/quote']

This is EXACTLY why a "ban" idea will never work. There is NO way to prove someone disconnected on purpose. If a specific server admin wants to play judge and jury and ban someone because other players *think* he disco'd to escape death that's up to that server admin, but you'll never see a game level ban system to counter this.

I'm getting tired of saying this over and over again. The best you can hope for is some sort of delay that keeps the character in game, in one spot, for a short amount of time. This stops people exploiting the disconnect and also helps protect the guy who's power just went out or whatever.

There just isn't enough magic pixie dust available to make more complicated solutions work. This thread is getting merged into one big one.

YES, rocket knows of this problem. Feel better?

/me sighs

There should be a timeout on DC then? Like in World of Warcraft and most other similar games - if you disconnect' date=' your character remains in game for another 15-30 seconds.

[/quote']

Yeah, give it time, it's an alpha.

Spawn protection will come in some form too, no doubt.

The whole "Ban Him!" idea is unworkable. A rule that can't be enforced is no rule at all.

Welcome to online pvp --if there's a way to exploit the game someone will find it and use it til the exploit is found and fixed by the Devs.

The exploiters are in fact needed to uncover the flaws in the game code.

Hate to say it but they're the real alpha-testers.

Alpha--Beta--Gold.

+1 THIS

Read it folks. Still want to complain? Read it AGAIN.

pointless being a bandit in this game now, everyone disconnects.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=20898&g2_serialNumber=1

I realise it's alpha, I'm just saying though, don't feel like playing till something is implemented.

Im going to harass Rocket until he implements a log-off timer (or bans me from the TS channel). And as mentioned last page, yes I know Tonic has done it...and Id love to give him a hard time on TS if he wasnt so busy keeping this mod going.

Its your right to ragequit when you feel like it. There's enough bullshit in this game, avoiding a setback and lost time is understandable.

I understand that D/C'ing is wrong.

What we cannot start doing is banning everyone for it during an Alpha, we don't know the circumstances. Wait until a proper system is implemented or innocent players will suffer the most.

What about on hardcore servers where you cant see the players name?

You just gonna guess that some guy left the game so "LETS BAN HIM".

Come on guys, just relax a bit.

How the hell is your screen so bright? Did you turn up your gamma all the way or something?

I understand that D/C'ing is wrong.

What we cannot start doing is banning everyone for it during an Alpha' date=' we don't know the circumstances. Wait until a proper system is implemented or innocent players will suffer the most.

What about on hardcore servers where you cant see the players name?

You just gonna guess that some guy left the game so "LETS BAN HIM".

Come on guys, just relax a bit.

[/quote']

LOL weren't you the one who was talking shit to an admin like two days ago and got banned from a server?

I'm liking what I've been hearing. (for the most part) But people have to get that banning willy nilly is just stupidity at its finest. Reading some stupid div commenting that its guaranteed he dc'ed on purpose is stupid. Unless he's your mate sharing a flat and you turn over and say. 'Dave what the hell I was shooting you' and Dave turns and says "I disconnected I didn't wanna die' whereupon you smack him upside the head. You can't be 100% positive. So stop with the amen to banning people who dc. Jesus the amount of times I've been playing and just connection problems that disconnect me. Or times the game becomes unplayable during a desync patch. I've had to dc so I don't die from something I can't see. (Zeds, never players)

And again unless you can have some surefire way to know when a player force dc'ed don't implement something where the player stays where they were for thirty seconds. I have been chased by zeds I've had connection problems. I would flip a shit if I died because it forced my char in game to stand there and be devoured for thirty seconds. But I do agree we could use a timer of some sort. Last thing is that you have to be sure they know the rules. Not everyone reads these forums and the rules. E.G the people that are buying Arma exclusively for this mod.

Be aware, a player named Fireonice disconnected on my server when I snuck up behind him to pay him back for the death he gave me.

Here's the story:

I was out on a field outside electro killing a goat when a sniper took me out (fair enough). After I respawned I told side chat "Whoever killed me, take care of my gps, I named her Shela"

This is the chat log that followed (taken from the server)

dayz_fireonice.jpg

The funny thing is, I ended up spawning in electro. Knowing how bandits work. Instead of waiting for him to show I went back to the scene of my first death. But this time, I went into the mountains. Sure enough he was there, in the same spot. I dropped a couple of maki shots into him but he ended up d/c'ing right before I emptied my clip.

dayz_fireonice2.jpg

I ended up getting the most of my stuff back (he was honest about not looting my weapons). I'm out a GPS and a few M4 rounds, so I'm not miffed. But disconnecting when you're about to be taken out for sniping the same spot over and over, for shame. :-/

You're cheapening you own gaming experience. Sure you're denying someone else the chance to loot/kill, but you can't disconnect from the thought that you suck so much at a game, you have to cheat to get ahead.

Three bandits killed one of our members who had fallen behind. We waited for them ot kneel at his corpse, before we opened up on them. Two died and one disconnected. We set up our position and waited for him to reconnect. Five minutes later our patience was rewarded, while we suppressed him heavily, one of us walked up to the stone wall he was trembling behind and executed him with a handgun. Sometimes when I think back at the amount of justice served, I pee a little.

I was just playing and moved up with a teammate to stary sobor.. I killed 2 guys both disconnected. My teammate was killed in it, The same guys reconnected under different names and killed me, I got one and he disconnected before he bled out and the other guy died shortly after from my returned teammate and he disconnected again. So sad. Not sure what they can do for it either.. One guy was named pollux and he reconnected as catnap.. Didn't catch the other guys name.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to start streaming now so I can send videos in of these homos.

It's not always the players fault. I've experienced people dc'ing on me when I almost kill them. I don't dc when in a poop storm but I was in a firefight fairly recently and got knocked down. I was thinking well this is it only to have the server kick me (dc me).

Fortunately for me I stayed alive. Like some others have said, we don't know the circumstance but before we start waving ban hammers at everyone, we need to look at alternative ways to cut down on intentional dc's.

A way to detect if someone disconnects shortly after a player has injured them that then kills them on reconnect would sort this out pretty fast.

Amen, brother :heart: there's already a system in place that does this, only instead of killing it knocks you out for 3 minutes. it's far from perfect and sometimes kicks in without you being hit upon disconnect, but your proposition is the only way, I believe, we can stop this D/C crap once and for all, as soon as the system can detect when damage is being done without mistakes