mjp808

A short and satisfying revenge story...

Unless I'm playing with my buddy, I generally stay away from other players, lone wolf style. The only other players I've killed are bandits, and only 3. I'm not a very good gun fighter, and try to stick to the "Regular" or "Recruit" difficulty servers to increase my lifespan. While stumbling along alone through the backwoods northeast of Kamenka, on a favorite server, I find a good condition green Skoda with a half tank of gas, with a few good guns and supplies in it. I drive it down through fields to the "CCH" (Chernarus Coastal Highway) and start heading east toward Electro.

As I approach the airfield on my left, I see 2 or 3, yep, 3 players running from the hangers toward the road with a dozen zeds in tow. Normally, I probably would have kept driving, but, my friend recently turned me on to Cherno Journo on YouTube, and I was really inspired by his videos, his fearless and friendly attitude--I even started carrying extra medical supplies for other players I might come across in trouble and maybe make some friends in the process. I have a few backup tents stashed here and there nearish to spawn points, so que sera if I get killed I figure.

So I pulled over where they reached the road and urged them, by com, to get in, and that I'm friendly. 1 is in standard survivor garb, 1 is female, the other ghillied, all moderately kitted up it appears. It took them about a half a second to just open up on me, my dead body spilling out on the road. My heart sank--I cursed under my breath, and with a sigh started the respawn process. As the screen filled with scenery and I saw where I was, I got excited. I might have a chance to avenge my murder.

I spawned just west of Electro, maybe a klik or so East of where this all happened. I made my way off the beach and, to my surprise, there was the green Skoda, west up the the CCH a ways. I was too far away for them to see me. It appeared that they had pulled over to check all their new loot, they were gleefully side chatting about everything they just scored and how they were going to divvy it up. Most likely they would be driving toward me and Electro, I hoped anyway.

I sprinted up the hill north, I might have just enough time, I thought. It was extremely lucky I spawned where I did, because I had a stash tent not too far away. I might be able to get there, gear up a bit and reach the road to exact some revenge in the form of a roadblock/attack. They outnumbered me and had the car though, so I had to be quick before they made it too far away past me. Maybe I can take out 1 or 2 of them before they kill me again. I made it to the tent, grabbed a revolver, AK,mags, Pepsi and...YES! Satchel Charges!, 2 of them, I had looted from a found tent a few days prior. I had to be quick if this was going to work.

I rushed down the hill, and amazingly they were still there up the road stopped. This whole time the side chat was bubbling with their greedy excitement over the car and all the stuff they scored by murdering me. My heart was pounding--hoping they would take their time. I sneaked down to the road and quickly set the two satchel charges, one in each lane, hoping they wouldn't spot them, or just possibly mistake them for Makarov mags or some other passable loot. I didn't have time to scout a good bottleneck spot either, so there was a chance they could avoid them if spotted. I made my way into the bushes nearby, waited patiently for the sound of the car to approach. They were still chatting, now to their buddies in Cherno, super pleased with themselves, to meet up so they could joy ride around and split up the loot. I had the charges set down near the white town signage, to use as a visual marker. My heart racing now, I waited, nervously rolling the mouse wheel to keep the "detontate" menu action active.

Soon enough, I saw the car approaching. And they didn't even slow down. BOOM! It was a perfect execution, all dead, car and loot destroyed never to be recovered. They were truly confused and distressed as to what happened, when they got back into side chat. Someone types "HAX!". Of course they wanted to believe they got hacked--so as I stood over the wreckage, before logging off I set them straight: "You drove over my satchel charge trap, that's what you get for murdering me, just trying to help you, and stealing my car ya douchebags"

Anyway, thats my little DayZ revenge story. Hope you like it. All completely true, happened this afternoon.

Matthew 7:12

My apologies to the "original" Skoda owner.

Edited by mjp808
  • Like 12

The Karma-nator!

That won't give me a bandit skin, will it?

Well done mate, indeed karma-nator. Come with me if you want to live.

"When you get a chopper, WHICH YOU HAVE TO" Get to the choppa!

Fantastic story, glad you got them back for killing you when you was only trying to help them. This is why i am so very worried when i encounter another player, but, that does make DayZ what it is :)

Again great story & plan, executed perfectly !

Dugie

Haha awesome man. I know how it feels to get some sweet revenge. Good read. Beans for you sir.

Thanx all--i edited it just a bit for punctuation and clarity.

btw, dont let the bible reference give the wrong impression, im not some weirdo christian gamer--i just wanted to have an ingame nametag that expressed my play style, "do unto others" is all it references.

and nothing against christians, just weirdo proud ones. pride is a deady sin after all.

in retrospect, it would have been fun to save one satchel for when they came back to see if they could salvage anything. im not sure about the effective blast radius of the satchels though, and i didnt want to miss them, so its probably best that i used both.

Edited by mjp808

mpj808,

I'm glad my play style has inspired you to be a bit more fearless and friendly - and although as part of the Chernarus Free press I would never kill another player - your story of revenge did still bring a smile to my face.

It is a shame that this time you were killed on sight - it happens often to me still. Never give up on humanity though there are plenty of decent DayZ players out there ready to join you on some fun and frivolity.

Hey Cherno!! Thanks for posting, I'm truly honored!

I know...my old instinct for vengeance overpowered me. Lets call it justice instead. This level of douchbaggery, to use a mutually favored term, could not go unanswered. But at least now you have a story good enough to draw you out of retirement and make video re-enactment of, right? ;)

i actually left out the extra-tension building part where, when i first set the satchels, i couldnt see them from my hiding place, so i had to hurriedly go back and reset them near the sign, time running out all the while!

but, despite this day trip to the dark side, your influence is still intact.

Also, I was too excited to share the story, so excuse the horrible syntax.

Edited by mjp808