ravey

Will mod be abandoned?

Hi DayZ

I have heard and seen a lot of news about the new standalone version of DayZ but what about the mod? Currently it is still in Beta (right?). So will the mod ever be completed or will it be abandoned for the standalone?

I have just spent £25 on buying ArmA 2 combined operations so I can join friends using the mod. None of them will be buying the standalone version at release and they are certainly not going to pay £30 for the standalone game.

Why buy one game for £30 when you can buy/download 3 games for £25 or less?

I don't expect a fully completed mod to be at the same quality or standard as a standalone game but I would still like to see a fully completed mod that is bug free!

The Mod will be continued, maybe not by rocket directly but possibly in the hands of the community.

The stand alone currently is estimated to be around 10-15$.

• Like 1

Just seen a Video of an interview with one of the Devs, where its said that they are bringing in some community Devs to help with the mod. But Rocket and Co are focusing nearly all on the standalone, however they might bring out some small updates/fixes to the mod if possible. They hope to keep the cost of the standalone at around £15. The mod will not be forgotten and will still be worked on after standalone I believe.

I'm no expert and I'm sure folks more involved with the community will know more but personally I'd be very surprised to see much movement on the mod from now on. The emphasis is firmly on the standalone.

I'm now telling my gaming buddies who are interested in DayZ not to bother getting ArmaII (unless they want to play ArmaII) and wait for the standalone.

I think once it is in the hands of the community, the mod will stay strong. The mod has logged how many players now? They ALL have it already, and will want to keep playing it alongside the standalone.

Of course, this is assuming that the majority of players are as rabid about good zombie survival games as I am.

I have heard and seen a lot of news about the new standalone version of DayZ but what about the mod? Currently it is still in Beta (right?). The mod is in Alpha. And the Standalone will also be in Alpha. Standalone doesn't mean "finished." So will the mod ever be completed or will it be abandoned for the standalone? Rocket has said that the mod will continue development, but not at the rate it has in the past. And it might eventually be completely up to the modding community to maintain the mod.

Why buy one game for £30 when you can buy/download 3 games for £25 or less? As said before by others, the price for the standalone will be around $10-$15. And quite frankly, the standalone will have a fixed and refined engine, which WE HOPE will be more optimized and less buggy.

I don't expect a fully completed mod to be at the same quality or standard as a standalone game but I would still like to see a fully completed mod that is bug free! Bug-free will never happen. Even if the mod was in development for 5 years from now. The ARMA 2 engine is the main cause of the bugs, not the mod itself. The mod has actually fixed some of the bugs that the engine has, but is still far from properly working.

Thanks for all the great replies.they were all very helpful

I'm no expert and I'm sure folks more involved with the community will know more but personally I'd be very surprised to see much movement on the mod from now on. The emphasis is firmly on the standalone.

I'm now telling my gaming buddies who are interested in DayZ not to bother getting ArmaII (unless they want to play ArmaII) and wait for the standalone.

You haven't checked out any of the mods on the private servers, have you? Some community members are doing wonders with DayZ.