Sign in to follow this  
Syphonz

Baseball bat, make it deadlier, by yourself!

So I went forum diving, and I couldnt find anything that suggested this but.....since you can craft weapons, and I know you can modify guns, and I know topics of this nature have popped up before, but, does it have some credibility to have the ability to put nails into a baseball bat?

This would give the bat added melee potential, and the need to loot more.

The way im thinking is like this:

Player A finds a baseball bat and nails. Uses Duct Tape (or something creative, like using a hammer to drive the nails into the wood), nails, and bat to make the Nailed Baseball bat.

Player A then proceeds to beat the crap out of infected and players alike.

After time, some of the nails come out of the bat from constant use.

Player then needs to find more nails to "re-nail" the bat.

Opinions, suggestions?

i was talking to a friend and our theory for the reason the bat sucks was because of what you just mentioned i assume when the maintenance building gets added that we will eventually be able to modify some of the melee weapons and the baseball bat would be the most likely candidate and if it did a lot of damage when modded it would be too OP. like i said its just a theory and an assumption but with these devs  usually if you thought about it they already plan on implementing it or they are working on it and if they don't once full release hits the modders will do it. 

So I went forum diving, and I couldnt find anything that suggested this but.....since you can craft weapons, and I know you can modify guns, and I know topics of this nature have popped up before, but, does it have some credibility to have the ability to put nails into a baseball bat?

This would give the bat added melee potential, and the need to loot more.

The way im thinking is like this:

Player A finds a baseball bat and nails. Uses Duct Tape (or something creative, like using a hammer to drive the nails into the wood), nails, and bat to make the Nailed Baseball bat.

Player A then proceeds to beat the crap out of infected and players alike.

After time, some of the nails come out of the bat from constant use.

Player then needs to find more nails to "re-nail" the bat.

Opinions, suggestions?

Stop getting weapon ideas from movies.

In reality, a "bat with nails in it" would be a particularly shitty weapon, and the bat by itself is more effective by far.

The nails wouldn't cause all that much damage (either to the flesh itself or by causing bleeding), and actually might just make the "nail-bat" get stuck to the victim due to the suction of blood capillaries. Meanwhile, as you try to wrench the nail-bat back so you can use it, the victim (REALLY pissed off, by the way), gets "inside" the arc-of-swing of the bat, and beats you to death.

Although, I agree, getting whacked in the ribs by a baseball bat should cause a LOT more damage.

Hell, getting into melee combat with ANYTHING should be a lot more frightening than it already is.

Stop getting weapon ideas from movies.

In reality, a "bat with nails in it" would be a particularly shitty weapon, and the bat by itself is more effective by far.

The nails wouldn't cause all that much damage (either to the flesh itself or by causing bleeding), and actually might just make the "nail-bat" get stuck to the victim due to the suction of blood capillaries. Meanwhile, as you try to wrench the nail-bat back so you can use it, the victim (REALLY pissed off, by the way), gets "inside" the arc-of-swing of the bat, and beats you to death.

Although, I agree, getting whacked in the ribs by a baseball bat should cause a LOT more damage.

Hell, getting into melee combat with ANYTHING should be a lot more frightening than it already is.

Actually, I didnt get this from a movie, dont judge until you know where it came from.

A bat with nails would ACTUALLY be very effective, if you took a second to think about it. What if the nails were rusted? What would happen if you got a nail to the head? What if the nails had infected blood on them? Which, from down the line, I hear infected have the chance to be looted (eg, the clothing and such, with infected blood on them, ive heard mentioned before.) If you could coat the nails in blood, what then?

Dont be condescending till you take all the facts into consideration, which, not to start a flame war here, you didn't do.

And if the bat gets stuck, has the capability of imparing said player in certain ways. Like, having a bat hanging from your arm would impair you a tad.

Edited by Syphonz

First off you would need some fairly long nails, second by the time you hammered enough in you'd most likely weaken the integrity of the bat anyway.  Wrapping barbed wire around it would be much more effective

Actually, I didnt get this from a movie, dont judge until you know where it came from.

A bat with nails would ACTUALLY be very effective, if you took a second to think about it. What if the nails were rusted? What would happen if you got a nail to the head? What if the nails had infected blood on them? Which, from down the line, I hear infected have the chance to be looted (eg, the clothing and such, with infected blood on them, ive heard mentioned before.) If you could coat the nails in blood, what then?

Dont be condescending till you take all the facts into consideration, which, not to start a flame war here, you didn't do.

And if the bat gets stuck, has the capability of imparing said player in certain ways. Like, having a bat hanging from your arm would impair you a tad.

If the nails were rusted/took a nail to the head/infected blood, yes, it would kill the victim eventually.

EVENTUALLY Which I am sure would be of great relief to you as you get beaten to death via adrenaline-fueled berserk fury.

As for "the bat hanging from your arm impairing you a tad", yes, it will. But only a little. And guess what? Now you have no weapon, and the victim is pissed off and out for blood.

Adrenaline is a HELL of a chemical. It lets human beings run around killing others while missing limbs due to them being blown off

A couple of nails spiked into the meaty part of the arm or the outside of the thigh aren't going to be slowing down someone all that much, especially if they are already pumped and "ready to go".

First off you would need some fairly long nails, second by the time you hammered enough in you'd most likely weaken the integrity of the bat anyway.  Wrapping barbed wire around it would be much more effective

Or, do something like this.

Wouldn't weaken the integrity of the bat, allows you to do some nasty slashing work while maintaining the bat's ability to smash, etc

Only thing I would do differently is leave the "top" of the bat free of blades, so you could use it to thrust and knock back opponents.

That.....actually looks like something I would make. Not as practical/multipurpose as merely carrying around a hatchet, but if you've got razor blades, some glue, and a baseball bat (all of which would be rather common in real life), I see no real reason not to do something like that.

Edited by Whyherro123

A spiked baseball bat has been popularized by a lot of zombie games, but in a real situation it would have a lot of flaws. For one thing, the nails would bend fairly easily, and they would need to be pried up quite a bit. The nails would have a hard time penetrating a skull without bending, which is just a really big hassle. And like others said, the chances of it getting stuck are fairly high, and if you were in a life or death situation, getting the bat stuck would basically be digging your own grave, unless you were skilled at hand to hand combat, in which case you would have a better chance at survival. But if you were fighting off a group of 10 or so zombies and your bat got stuck, you would be left with no weapons. If that happened, you would certainly be wishing you didn't bother hammering nails into your bat.