Sign in to follow this  
Heiduk

Standalone Server Difficulty Levels

Rocket has mentioned that when standalone arrives server settings will probably be fixed to a few specific difficulty settings and characters will not be able to move between servers with different settings. I think this will be a good improvement over the free-for-all we have now as these setting significantly influence the feel of the game.

I'm wondering what people think these settings should be? If it were up to me I would have two types of servers, call them Hardcore and Softcore for lack of better labels. Things like spawn rates and zombie behavior would probably be controlled by these settings as well but I'll ignore those for the moment.

Hardcore

• Auto Aim: Off
  • Armor: Off
  • Players on Map: Off
  • Crosshairs: Off
  • Third Person: Off
  • Peripheral Dots: Off
  • Death Messages: Off
  • Scoreboard: Off

Softcore

• Crosshairs: On
  • Third Person: On
  • Peripheral Dots: On
  • Death Messages: On
  • Scoreboard: On

I didn't list Waypoints and Nametags because I'm hoping their implementations will eventually be reworked. With their current implementations I would say off on both server types.

I would like to see Waypoints available on all servers, but only if the player has a functional GPS. There have also been good discussions in this forum about some sort of selective Nametag system where you could only identify players you have gotten to know in game. I think something like this would be good as long as it doesn't have a major impact on stealth, e.g. no giant "Unknown Player" tags floating above everyones head.

How would you partition the difficulty settings?

Super Hardcore

• Crosshairs: Off
  • First Person: Off
  • Third Person: On
  • Peripheral Dots: Off
  • Death Messages: Off
  • Scoreboard: Off

My suggestion.

Edited by SausageKingofChicago

I've been thinking about different type of servers myself, but less in a difficulty kind of way but more in a game-play type of way. What I mean by this is sort of like how MMO's have different server types. PvP, RP, RP-PVP, PVE. I was thinking that servers should have a select type they use, and, as long as the servers are on the same hive, players can only switch between server of the same type with the same character. So a player with a character on one type can only use that character on that type of server. Some of the types I've thought of are: PvP, survival, beginner, and hardcore. PvP is pretty obvious. That's where you would go if you want to play to have some awesome PvP. Survival is where you would go if you want to play with less bandits and more people trying to just survive as long as possible. Beginner is pretty much the "easy" type. I think I would describe is more as normal than easy though. It would be pretty much what the server are currently. A place for people to go just to play or learn how to play. Hardcore would be a beginner server with all of the settings turned to hardcore mode.

Maybe difficulty according to dayz of infection i.e. 2 days you find the normal items. 70 day food and water are only scaveneged from animals and fresh water sources markets are empty hardly a gun in game let alone ammo?

I just want waypoints and I'm k. I don't like plotting a bearing and running directly across open fields.

Also I think characters shouldn't be able to cross between one difficulty and another.

And also the current setup where you can go into an empty server and completely gear up is BS and gamebreaking.

Edited by sostronk

And also the current setup where you can go into an empty server and completely gear up is BS and gamebreaking.

While I agree with you on that, there's not really much that can be done about it.