Slickback (DayZ)

Why no IP bans for hacking?

By the time I got to the last post I learned something new only to have it shot down by something newer inevitably to be overtaken by the newest

Edited by Steak and Potatoes

And on? They create a new account and move on.

I'm pretty sure a Steam account is tied to a credit/debit card, making it quite a bother to just create a new one. Not that it would ever happen - though I wish it would. The anal devastation at losing an entire Steam account (with games) for hacking would be glorious!

And on? They create a new account and move on.

You lose access to the account which has multiple games. But i guess if you were to hack you would get a separate account for just that game.

Edited by Hawc

Wow, you all agree that IP-banning is pissing in the wind but yet you argue over semantics...

As you all know, the IP the customer receives is very rarely static in the CPE. Even when static, the CPE usually receives the IP from a DHCP server. Now strictly technically speaking this means that the IP is dynamic, even though it's receiving the same IP every time, however I'm sure it's sold and marketed as static and if the customer choose to - he can probably set the static IP on the CPE.

Now to clarify something when it comes to dynamic IPs, it's always the DHCP server which decides what happens. When the DHCP server hands out an IP it also tells how long it is valid, called the lease time. Once the CPE has had the IP for half the lease time, it will send a DHCP Request packet with the existing IP asking to keep the IP. The DHCP server will decide, based on its configuration, whether this is ok (sends DHCP ACK) or not (DHCP NAK). If not, the CPE will send an DHCP Discover and the server will send an DHCP OFFER. (Some servers might send an DHCP OFFER immediately after the DHCP NAK.) So we all agree that the DHCP server decides everything from how often the CPE asks (except for a reboot/disconnect which triggers a DISCOVER/Request on non-static IP CPEs) and how long it's allowed to keep the ip, right?

Right. So now to what's common when it comes to keeping the IP, how often it changes, etc and here's the gist - there is no standard behavior! For every ISP you have slight variations. Some ISPs change every 24 hrs or less, but it's far from common since it will leave a lot of TCP connections hanging. Some ISPs never change except for when they're reordering the IP pools, some change every time there's a discover. Inherently the DHCP server was never meant to juggle IPs to make sure a customer never receives its previous IP. The DHCP server and the RFC are doing everything it can to make sure that customer keeps the IP it had. The ISP I work for (one of Norway's largest) has a 6 hour lease time but never rotates IP or pools, but we're free to do so as we don't charge for it. The ILEC (telenor) rotates every time there's a DHCP Discover. The ISP I'm using at home (cable) is roting IP anywhere from 2 -12 weeks. For our corporate customers who pays for a static IP, we assign them a /30 net where they can either set a static IP themselves or request on from our DHCP server. Our router will add an DHCP Helper IP on the other /30 IP leaving the DHCP server with only one possible IP to hand out.

However with all the Data Retention Directive from EU (and probably some patriot act in the US) and other legislative actions and regulations the ISP are responsible for knowing which customer had what IP at any given time which is making more and more ISPs reducing IP rotations to minimize logging and gain better control. Some already had this and probably won't change, while others might restructure their IP pool policies. So while there is no "standard" behavior amongst the ISP, even within the same country, let alone in the same region, it is moving more towards "static dhcp" rather than "rotate every 24hrs or less".

Oh yeah I forgot to add an important point. :) The reason for these very variable IP rules are due to legacy. Old telcos who previously offered dial-ups and/or pppoe/oa on xDSL tend to rotate more often than newer who had to build up their network from ground the last 10 years. The new ones don't have the legacy support systems that were made to rotate IPs as they don't come from that era nor had any need for it. Usually the old telcos would have many more customers than actual IPs and/or they needed to authenticate the customer for billing purposes. (They still offered static IPs but they were rarely needed.)

Edited by Rakrul

@void-false stop talking if you don't know what you are saying. You may know how things work in your country but don't assume something for the whole world.

Another "mentally advanced" ITT.

I've already poped one soap balloon with that german ISP with their "static" IP. Maybe using a word shitload was a bit dramatic, but it sounds much better that "fee".

Now i'm not 100% sure but all cable internet users have static ip at least in my country

Now if you're not sure, use google and find out. If I could do that even in German, then the person like you, who knows what the fuck he's talking about, could do that too.

It's been proven far more effective to ban on game licences and hit these hackers where it hurts - their pocket (or their parents pocket!). In this day and age though it's not unreasonable to expect a full hardware bans, using a combination of mac addresses, motherboard hard disk and processor numbers.

You can change MAC addresses very very easily. I recall someone mentioning an anticheat solution using hardware identifiers to ban players and people would sell banned hardware on ebay and buy new hardware, resulting in people buying second hand products to be banned in certain games. I wish I could cite that but I'm sure google can pull something good up.

P.s. your CD Key cannot be stolen without a program you run reading your registry. Also your GUID cannot be reversed to your CD-key.