Sign in to follow this  
Taiphoz

Directional Threat indicators. ?

I know a lot of people wont like this, which is why I think it should be an option people can turn on or off.

in short, a lot of people play with poor sound, most computers these days do not come with Surround Sound, but rather OEM Sound Drivers and on board chipsets, and they really struggle when it comes to directional sound, I have often struggled to locate and enemy because my sound system fails to really make it clear.

Having an option to turn on a little visual queue to show me what direction a threat is coming from would really help.

I think it should be something with range set, for example it should only work under 100 meters, close range which is where the sound systems on poor computers really fall down, anything over 100 meters and these visual indicators would not show up.

This visual indicator would make up for the lack of quality in peoples hardware, the human ear is so complex and good at its job that with two or one gun shots within audible range it can detect an almost exact direction, but in game and with crap sound cards and headphones this can often be impossible.

no reason some players should suffer because they cant afford better sound hardware.

• Like 2

I had to turn my speakers to stereo, because ArmA 2 had a wierd sound glitch. I don't know if DayZ does it, but I haven't changed it back yet. And yeah, it's a pain in the ass. I can only tell if the shot was from in front or behind!

There's another topic regarding people who are hard of hearing, that might be relevant to this too. The option could probably be linked to server difficulty rules if it is included.

Inb4 it's not authentic

EDIT: As a side note, can anybody tell me if that sound distortion glitch (if you know what I'm talking about) is still in DayZ?

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 1

no reason some players should suffer because they cant afford better sound hardware.

Why don't you just go buy a sound card and a decent headset like everybody else? £ 114 to £ 208 isn't that much...

Wolfguard reading - FAIL

I'm against this because it takes away the realism. BUT! I'd be okay with a damage impact indicator since there's no way you'll know in which angle the bullet came from... say you get hit, you'll want to know WHERE in your body you got hit so you'd deduce the direction where the shot came from. Has to be limited to that.

Edited by asin
  • Like 2

Every at least decent mobo has at least 4 point surround sound... so that is not a problem,well I dont know what kind of shit they sell there ^^ Here even the cheapest mobo has surround sound through provided drivers/software settings, if there is no specific connections for rear etc speakers others can be configured(realtek exsample).

Maybe the arma has some clitches... I dunno, Im playing with speakers surround sound and works great. And sparate channel for teamspeak through headset.

Something like this could be somehow implemented, speacially if people with deafness are playing. But as default it should be off and not give unfair advantagess when used.

My creative audioblahblah, is pretty good, I just haven't switched back to surround since the screeching metal scraping noises that came from ArmA 2

(strangely I don't think Operation Arrowhead ever did it, but I never played any of its built in campaigns)

@asin that would be pretty good if it was just a quick flash and then gone.

If anyone has ever played CoD or BF3, you'll know how stupid it looks to have damage indicators rotate with your view.

I'm against this because it takes away the realism. BUT! I'd be okay with a damage impact indicator since there's no way you'll know in which angle the bullet came from... say you get hit, you'll want to know WHERE in your body you got hit so you'd deduce the direction where the shot came from. Has to be limited to that.

yep. this one HAS to be, because its the only way, that i know, to somehow indicate pain from shot.

Arma has quite a weird sound engine, because when i got hit in most cases i hear sound, like someone shot an airsoft gun above my head, thus its impossible to indicate where it came from.

Yeah I think it sucks, I am fortunate that it only happens to me in close combat , probably why I enjoy being a sniper so much is the fact that my combat is mostly long range 800+ meters, and directional sound at that range seems to be working fine.

Its the real close combat stuff thats all fucked up, shoot an AK or Stan round under 100 meters and its almost impossible to tell where it came from some times, specially in forrests.

My creative audioblahblah, is pretty good, I just haven't switched back to surround since the screeching metal scraping noises that came from ArmA 2

(strangely I don't think Operation Arrowhead ever did it, but I never played any of its built in campaigns)

@asin that would be pretty good if it was just a quick flash and then gone.

If anyone has ever played CoD or BF3, you'll know how stupid it looks to have damage indicators rotate with your view.

Yeah that was implemented ridiculously in those games but those are more to do where threat is coming from. Not just damage points. You're right. It should be a millisecond flash. And just 4 directional points of entry: front, back, left and right. That's it.

Hmmm. If we'd go to a more realistic approach than this. I'd have to say BLOOD SPATTER.

Edited by asin

I think the peripheral dots appear when your character hears something.

It would be nice to have direction indicators. They would show where you got hit buy the bullet ( front, back, left, front left etc. ). That means the indicators would not turn around as you turn your body. Therefor the player should remember how his body was positioned when shot, to determine where the bullet came from.

I really dont see a problem with these as said we already have the peripheral dots which show zombies, animals, and vehicles within 250+ meter radius.

I think actually, what they might do is once some one shoots, their peripheral dot should flash red and be a little bigger to indicate a greater threat from that angle, if your taking fire and dont see a dot its because hes in front of you.

the mechanic is already there it would not be adding anything new simply improving how something already works. and before some wise ass comes along and screams ohh thats no realistic, dude just dont, there are so many things in the game that are no realistic so just shut up.

Those peripheral dots must be removed, so retarted system for multiplayer.... those can.. and are being abused so bad.

Just make screen edge flash red for indicator, very light faded red tint and it fades away in half a sec or so. Flash could be stronger depending how close the shot is.

As an optional thing i don't see why not, there is already a nameplate option which is basically a rangefinder/thermal.

This.

As an optional thing i don't see why not, there is already a nameplate option which is basically a rangefinder/thermal.

..which is only available in regular setting. nameplates have to be removed from SA or just keep them for group member ID. It's easymode on pvp and yet another spoonfeeder option for whiners.

Edited by asin

Wolfguard reading - FAIL

Chabowski, comprehension: FAIL

Don't you think he should be able to afford a sound card or maybe a headset with a built-in sound card (like this one: http://steelseries.c...elseries-7h-usb for £116) if he has the money to put together a computer that is able to run DayZ decently?

Don't you think he should be able to afford a sound card or maybe a headset with a built-in sound card (like this one: http://steelseries.c...elseries-7h-usb for £116) if he has the money to put together a computer that is able to run DayZ decently?

some people just cant understand that issue not with peoples computers, but with the game`s sound engine...

Something like this needs to be implemented for the hearing impaired. Unless people think that because they are deaf in real life they should be deaf in game as well.

• Like 2

Thats my take on it as well.

The only problem you get is vet /hardcore servers , i prefer no 3d, no dots or any other gimmicks , so what happens to hearing impaired with that sort of option ? Nameplate servers dont even get a look in for me and the blood spatter suggestion ? Leave that for the other fps games please :) I am all for minimal hud but also understand the need for something for hearing impaired/deaf and something for people who like all of the icons etc or are just learning to play.

As to regards your pc not being able to handle it, unlucky. Upgrade that shit if need be I dont want developers wasting time catering to the lowest common denominator regards equipment. Fuck that.

I have a cheaps as chips (crisps ;) ) mobo , Gigabyte $120 5.1 onboard- realtek, and the directional sound with headphones is sweet as. It really is hardly worth shelling out on a soundcard anymore compared to even 5 years ago.

Awww!!!! ^_^

That's cute seeing you stamp your little feet.

You fail.

The ArmA 2 audio engine was poorly implemented, certain hardware combinations are buggy.

I don't care what soundcard or headset your granny got you for Christmas.

If you're too lazy to read, go phone the DayZ partyline, and be wrong there instead.

Hmmm. If we'd go to a more realistic approach than this. I'd have to say BLOOD SPATTER.

Blood splatter/if you are bleeding, blood will stream profusely from the side of the screen that you were shot in the body, and will continue to drip until you get bandaged. (Possibly replace bleeding UI we have now?)

Whole screen angle gets jerked momentarily.

Sounds of yelling/cursing.

Blood curdling death cry upon death. (Hearing this in any city would make me tense up instantly.)

I don`t know about you, but getting shot sounds a lot more startling.

Something like this needs to be implemented for the hearing impaired. Unless people think that because they are deaf in real life they should be deaf in game as well.

If you are legitly deaf, you should have some mechanic to make up for it, IMO. Fair playing field. :)

Edited by Tarkastio
  • Like 1

make them a server setting, then admins can decide if they want them on or not that way its the same for all players on that server.

I know I need them, my hardware sucks, no I cant upgrade unless you want to pay for the hardware, I think before anyone starts in on the cost of hardware you have to understand that in this economy, not everyone is employeed or in a situation where they can afford new hardware so just shut up.

accept that the world, and its gamers and their hardware come in many shapes, and types, and just try to accept that while you may not need a little visual thing to make up for being deaf or having a crap sound system, other people do.

nothing worse than smartdicks that think just because their lucky enough to have found work and a stable income that everyone else who has not is a bum.