Sign in to follow this  
WhipDiddyWhip

the one thing that will stop me buying the standalone

Well correct me if I'm wrong on this. As far as I can tell when in game your "character" sway's his gun left to right in a realistic movement.

Its not a "bug" its a standard game mechanic. I mean unless you think it should be like COD/BF or any major FPS for that matter then this is not the game for you. In RL you sway your rifle and pivot your stance. Arma mimics this very well. I will say though when you sway far left to far right your "character" lowers his rifle like 10" when you turn a full 90-degrees. But I don't go shooting every weekend in full battle rattle so that's left for interpretation.

This is coming from a guy who has played Arma2 since they day it was released in the states and I have never ever heard someone bring this up. Id say BIS did a very good job on that. Changing it makes the game more FPS which from OperationFlashPoint to ARMA was never the goal. It's a simulator. A military simulator. Repeat and enjoy.

Trolling-WarZ sounds like your kind of game.....

Edited by RyBo
  • Like 1

I will say though when you sway far left to far right your "character" lowers his rifle like 10" when you turn a full 90-degrees. But I don't go shooting every weekend in full battle rattle so that's left for interpretation.

I would imagine this is due to the person making an effort to move the weight of the rifle and other equipment 90-degrees (or more) in any direction. If I was holding a rifle, I probably wouldn't be able to keep it in a firing position while turning around. In order to shift that weight, I would most likely be moving the gun around and even lowering it a bit before raising it again in the direction I want it to.

This could just be how I personally stabilize myself though. But that's my opinion on why the in game character does that.

Edited by Tabris07
  • Like 1

is there anything that will stop anyone else buying it?

I'll be buying it just because I feel Rocket should get some compensation from his mod. I've dumped a TON of hours into it, and it didn't cost me a penny.

But.... I'm curious as to if the standalone can also be modded? Right now, there's some private hives running some great mods. Even after buying the standalone, I can still see me playing the mod on said servers.

Plus, not to mention that if people aren't happy with the standalone, what's stopping someone from making a DayZ mod for ArmA 3?

I would imagine this is due to the person making an effort to move the weight of the rifle and other equipment 90-degrees (or more) in any direction. If I was holding a rifle, I probably wouldn't be able to keep it in a firing position while turning around. In order to shift that weight, I would most likely be moving the gun around and even lowering it a bit before raising it again in the direction I want it to.

This could just be how I personally stabilize myself though. But that's my opinion on why the in game character does that.

Straight up. That's more or less how I shoot on the move but, not looking to start a flame war. My beans sir.

You can disable mouse smoothing in the options if that's what you mean...

I wish I could be as blissfully ignorant to the hell that is forced mouse acceleration as all of you.

You guys really have no idea how good you have it and im sure if dayz wasnt around you would happily hop onto some current generation console first person shooter and have a great time and never even notice a damn thing wrong with your controls.

If you havent come from a competitive pc fps background and know nothing of tweaking the hell out of window mouse settings and digging around for that 10 year old Cheese Mouse Fix file to achieve 1 to 1 ratio mouse movement then I envy your ability to play this game with whatever mouse settings the devs feel you deserve to alter.

• Like 2

The "I won't buy if..." part of the OP is stupid, but there is really NO freaking excuse for having forced mouse acceleration in a shooter nowadays. Getting unaccelerated mouse information from Windows without any of the so-called "pointer ballistics" (which includes acceleration) is a piece of cake via "raw input" (for any technically interested people, see here: http://msdn.microsof...3(v=vs.85).aspx), and there's no valid reason to let your engine ruin that perfect mouse input you can get from Windows.

Could you explain a little this game-breaking mouse acceleration?

Mouse acceleration means: If you move your mouse QUICKLY over a fixed distance like 20cm, then your character will turn more degrees than moving the mouse SLOWLY over the same 20cm distance. With "negative mouse acceleration" it's the other way around.

So without mouse acceleration, the speed at which you move your mouse does not matter at all, only the distance - and that's exactly how it should be. Mouse acceleration is nothing but an old relic for mechanical mice, because at high speeds the ball inside the mouse could "slip" over the mouse pad, and the acceleration tried to compensate that.

Still some types of low-sens gamers seem to prefer mouse acceleration nevertheless, and I have no problem with optional mouse acceleration. But at the core of the input system of the game engine there should be the option of perfect linear unaccelerated mouse motion.

If the devs want to limit the speed people can turn at for realism, it should just be done by hard-limiting the turn speed, NOT by applying negative acceleration. If you try to turn quickly then, it would feel like negative acceleration, but below the threshold you would still have linear, unaccelerated movement, which is the important thing.

You can disable mouse smoothing in the options if that's what you mean...

Seriously...?? From the OP:

now ppl who don't have a clue what they are talking about will say " duh you can turn off mouse smoothing" etc etc, please don't post if you don't know what your talking about

I wish I could be as blissfully ignorant to the hell that is forced mouse acceleration as all of you.

You guys really have no idea how good you have it and im sure if dayz wasnt around you would happily hop onto some current generation console first person shooter and have a great time and never even notice a damn thing wrong with your controls.

If you havent come from a competitive pc fps background and know nothing of tweaking the hell out of window mouse settings and digging around for that 10 year old Cheese Mouse Fix file to achieve 1 to 1 ratio mouse movement then I envy your ability to play this game with whatever mouse settings the devs feel you deserve to alter.

But you got it all wrong Sir, this is not a competitive FPS á BF3 etc. I've also as you say had my fair share of cfg editing and mousefix hunting since the mid 1990's when Quake was released.

One simply has to adept and understand that this product is not another BF3/COD or whatever you want to compare it against.

One simply has to adept and understand that this product is not another BF3/COD or whatever you want to compare it against.

No, there are no valid "realism" arguments for mouse acceleration, see my posting above.

In reality my muscle memory works properly too, so there's no reason why it should be forcefully confused with mouse acceleration in the game.

I might not buy it and just wait for Arma 3. And play a zombie mod on that.

The novelty of permadeath and having to gear up has worn off. Life is too short for that shit.

is the fact it will be running on what is essentially the same engine as arma 2

that means it will more than likely still have the horrendous positive/negative mouse acceleration, not having 1:1 mouse movement is pretty game breaking to me

now ppl who don't have a clue what they are talking about will say " duh you can turn off mouse smoothing" etc etc, please don't post if you don't know what your talking about

this is a major engine bug that has never been fixed

if i can get guarantees from the development team that this is fixed i will buy it in a heart beat, is there anything that will stop anyone else buying it?

from what i have seen, is not the arma2 engine theyl be using. They will be using the take on helicpters engine. i Forgot the name of it. Take on helicopters looks great and the system requirements are far less then armas

Well correct me if I'm wrong on this...

Pretty much what I was about to say. I complained about the mouse movement the other day to my friend fully knowing it's an arma feature, and he asked me to imagine if you could aim like we can in bf3, it wouldn't fit the game that it is if we could 180 head shot someone in half a second would it.

Pretty much what I was about to say. I complained about the mouse movement the other day to my friend fully knowing it's an arma feature, and he asked me to imagine if you could aim like we can in bf3, it wouldn't fit the game that it is if we could 180 head shot someone in half a second would it.

As I outlined above, there are better ways to avoid 180° quick-turn-headshots than using this stupid negative acceleration!