andrewmont

Snipers aren't a problem. People should stop moaning.

I just wonder what players have to fear from the idea -- and it's an idea only -- of more close-to-medium range interaction in the game.

It's more dangerous obviously. But the CQB aspect is a lot more fun and satisfying then running for 20 minutes only to drop dead from some unseen snipers bullet.

Like take what happened to me today. Rather than bore you with the details, let me set the scene: You have me (just recovered from a zombie-related ailment where I was passing out every 5 minutes), another player armed to the teeth, and a couple of zombies, all locked in the Stary Sobor supermarket and mostly unaware of each other. No one knows each other's intentions (except the zombies). I'm content to sit quietly in the stockroom and let everyone pass on by, except the Zed who busts (warps) through the back door has other plans. Well, I don't know if Mr Remington in the frozen food aisles is waiting for me to explain that my 1911 wasn't meant for him and he's not exactly running for the exits. Long story short, I end the discussion with a blue-light special on hand grenades.

Maybe we could have teamed up if things had gone down differently. So I will honor him the best way I know how. Take his M4 HOLO carbine and the absurd amount of ammo he had, and go kill his idiot friend who sniped at me on my way out of town.

• Like 1

I hate to say this, as I am sure im going to take tons of shit for it but, here goes. I have 3 kids, love em to death, but yep, you know whats coming next. I want a great sim like this "That doesnt have those little bastards playing". Take no offense if your a "youngen", but it would be nice to have a game, that just the older people play. Ok, troll away on me... :) oh, snipers!!! no big deal. Learn your cover, play like its real and your more than fine.

I hate to say this, as I am sure im going to take tons of shit for it but, here goes. I have 3 kids, love em to death, but yep, you know whats coming next. I want a great sim like this "That doesnt have those little bastards playing". Take no offense if your a "youngen", but it would be nice to have a game, that just the older people play. Ok, troll away on me... :) oh, snipers!!! no big deal. Learn your cover, play like its real and your more than fine.

It's not just young people though, It's older people as much as young. Age isn't and can't be a measure of maturity :) I will agree though that there is a majority of 'COD Kids' that ruin some aspects of this game.

nothing wrong with current weapons, especially not snipers. Anyone who says otherwise is probably just sick of being killed due to their own incompitance, and needs something else to blame it on.

Edited by dikesonbikes

Remove the ability to alt+f4

Remove the availibility to .50cals, they're faaaaar to common (Legitimate ones)

I've found waaaaaaaaay more AS50s on chopper crashes than I have SVDs and M24s in the places they spawn, it is fucking ridiculous

Edited by jdz

And the question still needs to be answered: In a zombie apocalypse, what is a long range sniper rifle for?

Cool, you may not think it has a place in a zombie apocalypse, but realistically you would find civilian grade rifles in and around a place like Chernarus (Being Russian). As for military snipers, maybe not but that still doesn't stop some people from having some fun. The only thing that can take out a helicopter (not the pilot) in under 20 shots is an anti-material rifle. With things like vehicles, there has to be something to counter them. It's a game.

Edited by CombatWombat

I'd say remove the two .50's

remove the l85 and the rocket launcher.

add more low tier weapons, more varying bolt action hunting rifles, some semi autos, the sort of rifles you would expect to see in cherno, it is mostly farmland after all so you would expect a 12 gauge or rifle in each barn.

remove all military spawns that aren't the barracks, hangers, tents, chopper crashes and control towers. make military ammo as hard to get your hands on as the FAL ammo, which is a bitch.

remove the 50s? HAHAHAHAHA why is that again? Atleast i can see removal of the l85 due to the fact that thermal is like having built in chams, but it's basically an m16 with a scope on it... it's only effective out to 400-500 yards.

It's also pointless to keep complaining about different people with different play styles I don't know what the obsession nowadays is with making everything the same according to someone's standard. "I don't want sniper rifles, so no one else should have them", "I don't shoot people for fun, so no one else should".

I kill people for fun. I like to be far away when I do so. Why? Cos I can, cos that's how I want to play. Other times I go on collection runs and avoid everything I can. Why? Cos I can and that's how I want to play at that time. I've only died maybe 3 times by someone that I had no idea where or who he was. That's out of a good 60 deaths.

Avoid getting attached to your character and accept that you're already dead the moment you spawn on any server. Death is inevitable. I dunno why it matters so much how you die.

I can only speak for myself, and I am quite adament on this point, that people who play for the sole purpose of "killing other people" ruin it for me. My friend and I were discussing and he always comes back to "I just want to kill people". I ask him why "That's the point". Is it? It seems like the rest of the game (the zombies, the survival) is negated, why not just play some other shooter? "Because I want to do it in that setting"

In my opinion it's that sort of thing that ruins the game for me. I'm not against sniper rifles or bandits, but I'm against the senselessnes of it, or the people who go into it where that's their only goal - to kill others and ruin the game for them. My friends rebuttle is always "learn to play" or some other thing where the shift of blame is put on to me, but no matter how much I scout an area or watch other players or avoid them in a game like Arma being a sniper hidden somewhere is incredibly easy. At that point "realism" usually gets thrown into the argument, but imo holds no water when people are way too flippant in games compared to real life and you can't tell a persons intentions or reason with them just by looking at them.

As we all no doubt know even 2 legitimate friendly survivors may open fire on each other just because of how unintuitive communication can be - throw in to the mix a bandit who doesn't care about the sanctity of the experience of the game and all control is lost from the player trying to "write his own story",

But whatever. I don't see this issue being fixed. I'm really only here to discuss ideas behind/around the games design because I find it more fun than actually playing it.

The real question that needs to be answered is: In a zombie apocalypse, what is a long range sniper rifle for?

This:

• Like 1

It's not getting sniped that's the problem. For anyone who's been playing more than a month, you literally have to try to get hit by these "snipers".

The only reason they fight at range is so that when they know you're coming, they have time to log out before you can kill them.

It's watching "Bambi McN00blet" getting popped 20 times in an hour then never playing the game again that pisses me off.

And you can shout "They should get better." all you want, because they SHOULD get better. But while these "rare" rifles are being misused, and are more common than sand in a desert, that's NEVER going to happen.

It's pushing the future of the community away, and without more players, we won't have a successful standalone game.

remove the 50s? HAHAHAHAHA why is that again?

because carrying around

14 kg as50

8 kg's worth of magazines/.50 ammo

10kg backpack

3kg m4 backup

3kg of 5.56 magazines

=38kg

might be a bit much for a civilian, let alone for a civilian to run with, a marines trains with what? 35 pounds of gear + his armour?

35pounds= 15.8 kilograms

to balance out the larger weapons dayz needs a stamina system, more shit u carry =

the less distance you can move without getting hungry/thirsty

the more scope sway u have to after moving

the more time it takes u to catch your breath after moving

you should move slower overall

you should be at higher risk of tripping and sustaining injury over uneven terrain

and anything else I haven't thought that fits.

you asked why to remove it, why should it be kept? what survivor would look at a .50 rifle and think, golly gosh I'd love to carry that on my back, not only does it weight a lot, have a huge profile, but it'll also draw in every zombie within a 5 mile radius when fired, it doesn't fit in with the whole, survival aspect of this mod....

I have no problem with snipers, its just those 2 rifles are silly to have in dayz..

Edited by Skrewy

The immersion is that you just went into a city during an apocalypse with no equipment or weapons. Dying is probable. Would you walk into a land with no law where people are trying to survive and not expect danger?

As for the rifle question, it would be used for hunting, scouting and killing.

In that context, I'm pretty sure if the outbreak occurred in real life, not too many cities will have civilians manning .50 snipers on rooftops... Shooting them without dopping a scope with uncanny accuracy.

I think you'd never run into such weaponry with such occasion, nor would so many people be getting sniped while in a grocery store.

Those getting killed while in a town by someone with a rifle in the same supermarket... Or in a house across the street, seems more plausible to me.

This is why I like survive dayz. All stupid .50 cals removed. Only the DMR, CZ and M24. They are also super rare.

I noticed much more balanced sense of game play. Especially with NVG/thermal out. I've been really enjoying a more balanced approach that has less snipers, and more grounded firefights.

In that context, I'm pretty sure if the outbreak occurred in real life, not too many cities will have civilians manning .50 snipers on rooftops... Shooting them without dopping a scope with uncanny accuracy.

I think you'd never run into such weaponry with such occasion, nor would so many people be getting sniped while in a grocery store.

Those getting killed while in a town by someone with a rifle in the same supermarket... Or in a house across the street, seems more plausible to me.

This is why I like survive dayz. All stupid .50 cals removed. Only the DMR, CZ and M24. They are also super rare.

I noticed much more balanced sense of game play. Especially with NVG/thermal out. I've been really enjoying a more balanced approach that has less snipers, and more grounded firefights.

Yeah but the issue of weaponry differs from the issue of snipers. The abundance of .50's is for hacking and duping which people seem to be getting mixed up with the 'problem' of snipers.

See, the problem is people in this game aren't patient. They won't take the back alleys, they won't move slowly, they won't scan a hillside while waiting before heading in to try and spot a sniper. People are impatient. Why sit and wait when you could just have snipers removed and rush in?

• Like 1

See, the problem is people in this game aren't patient. They won't take the back alleys, they won't move slowly, they won't scan a hillside while waiting before heading in to try and spot a sniper. People are impatient. Why sit and wait when you could just have snipers removed and rush in?

I strongly agree. The game can't force players to act realistically. People need to scout often. Before approaching anywhere ill scout including even if just in the wilderness ill occasionally stop and look. Usin alt is only so effective.

I just spent 10 minutes running through Elektro with probably half a dozen snipers taking pot shots at me. None of them were very good shots.

More than half of the Elektro sniper hill AS-50 wookies I've taken out had GPS, Rangefinder and NVGs!

I've been playing for a fair while, and I've found a legit rangefinder in the barracks one time.

All the other "rare" tools, just get them off a "sniper" if you need them.

Either I'm just the least lucky player on the face of the earth, or they're using scripted in and duped gear.

Thank fuck most of them couldn't hit a cow in the arse with a banjo.

AS50s, GPS' and NVGs are really easy to come by for an experienced player. Range finders, Ive honestly never got them by any other means than by killing a player and looting them.

I just spent 10 minutes running through Elektro with probably half a dozen snipers taking pot shots at me. None of them were very good shots.

Im always told the same thing. I regularly try to snipe people with the M14aim. Ill try and have killed people well over 500m, up to 700m with the weapon. But apparently it only has an effective range up to 500m. I recently ambushed 5 players crossing from Cherno to Elektro. Side chat was enabled so I ran around cherno and set up at milk mountain. I killed 4 of them at 650m with the m14aim and the last guy got away because it was just too far. But I had so much ammo I figured Id unload a few clips to try my luck. No luck. But then he starts comming how im a terrible shot. Id like to see him try to hit someone from that range with an m14. The distance was so far and there was alot of fog and I had to predict where they would be by bring up the range finders, watching them and then firing into the fog. But yeah, im a terrible shot.

Most of the Sniper rifles actually take alot of patience, skill and practice. The DMR is really hard to use. But the AS50 and the M107 are extremely easy to use and you can drop people from rediculous ranges easily. I don't like using them though because the kills are such a long range that you can't loot and bury the body, which are two things I really want to do when I get a kill.

Edited by sostronk

AS50s, GPS' and NVGs are really easy to come by for an experienced player. Range finders, Ive honestly never got them by any other means than by killing a player and looting them.

Go on then mr. skills, enlighten us?

BTW, taking any of that gear out of a tent or off a ghilied hedge monkey DOES NOT make you an 'experienced player'. Also loot cycling makes you an exploiting dick.

Edited by Never

I hope the SA makes all high end weapons inc Sniper rifles at chopper sites damaged. Do you know how much of a pain in the arse it is to Zero a weapon? It is not realistic to pick one up and just have precision every time. Running around falling all over and bumping into trees with no degredation to weapons?

First find the weapon, Repair / maintain weapons and then use weapons always looking after them and Making sure they are useable all vhe time you have it on your body.

Some of those facts will deter the non serious users of Sniper rifles.

the zeroing of a rifle goes to shit if you put it back careless in his bag.... you're right and i hope they put this into standalone..i'd love to clean my rifle near the fire before some hunting

Go on then mr. skills, enlighten us?

BTW, taking any of that gear out of a tent or off a ghilied hedge monkey DOES NOT make you an 'experienced player'. Also loot cycling makes you an exploiting dick.

Im not really following what your asking, although I can tell you I don't loot cycle. I don't like to waste my time doing that, its really boring.

Im not really following what your asking, although I can tell you I don't loot cycle. I don't like to waste my time doing that, its really boring.

You claimed an 'experienced player' finds it easy to find AS50, NVg etc.

I asked you to enlighten us of your technique for easily finding legit items like this, ie, from a loot spawn not a hackers pack or camp.

cycling and hopping being non-legit techniques also remember.

Edited by Never

You claimed an 'experienced player' finds it easy to find AS50, NVg etc.

I asked you to enlighten us of your technique for easily finding legit items like this, ie, from a loot spawn not a hackers pack or camp.

cycling and hopping being non-legit techniques also remember.

Well for starters, loot cycling won't get you AS50's lol. For NVG's I always check any military zeds for loot. I have got alot of NVG's from military zeds (including ones at deer stands and I kill every zed I find at deerstand). Also find them at chopper crash sites, both on military zeds, on the ground, in the chopper seat and underneath the chopper. Make sure you kill every zed and check them at crash sites. Also make sure you check the whole area, just walk slowly around looking for gear symbol to pop up anywhere around it. Recently I found two pairs at one site, one in the chopper seat and one on the ground, but I already had a pair lol. Ive picked up NVGs at NWAF fairly oftenbut I find it a bit too high risk so I don't go in there alot.

All of the chopper crash sites are in open fields. You can see the smoke burning from ~1km away, maybe a bit less. Also there is a bug where you can see them occasionally where I have found them by seeing them before you can actually see them. Its similar to the bug where you can see devils castle before you should be able to see it because there are trees in the way but the castle has "rendered in" but the trees haven't. Occasionally I believe I have seen one and then go in the direction I thought I saw it and often there is one there. The open fields around stary sobor regularly have chopper crash sites and Ive run into a few cases where there are 2 or 3 within a few hundred metres of each other. The run between Stary and NWAF, there are quite regularly some up there.

AS50's are easier to find than the ammo. I regularly run into crash sites with 2 as50s but its hard to keep up the ammo on them. If I find them at the moment, I just take the ammo and leave the AS50 so players can't use them and dump the ammo elsewhere :P. Occasionally I pick one up and go on a quick sniper spree and then drop the rifle. Particularly if I haven't dumped the NATO rounds in my pack from a previous loot.

So anyways, theres some info. Im not really interested in writing tutorials for new players. People can figure stuff out for themselves like I have.

because carrying around

14 kg as50

8 kg's worth of magazines/.50 ammo

10kg backpack

3kg m4 backup

3kg of 5.56 magazines

=38kg

might be a bit much for a civilian, let alone for a civilian to run with, a marines trains with what? 35 pounds of gear + his armour?

35pounds= 15.8 kilograms

to balance out the larger weapons dayz needs a stamina system, more shit u carry =

38kg aint much. Whilst I was in the army I regularly carried around in excess of 100kg. And this includes firefight situations where you want to move your most. No doubt a mental barrier for a civilian, but its still not alot. Id be keen for them to implement a weight system into the loot storage though. Id also be interested to see how they get around carrying stuff like an engine or main rotor assembly for a helicopter, in your pack lol.