Sign in to follow this  
jsteph87@live.com

Global chat should not have been disabled in the Alpha

With the mod being as buggy as it is right now, especially regarding server restarts and the bugs that come with them, global chat does NOT need to be disabled.

There should at least be some method of communicating with server admins to tell them that they have reset their damn server incorrectly.

As it stands now, for me to contact a server admin, I have to register on every forum for every group that hosts servers my clan plays on.

This is in addition to the fact that all the people who have not upgraded to the ARMA beta patch can still talk freely, but seeing as they haven't been smart enough to upgrade to a patch that is highly recommended for the mod version they are using, their discussions seem to revolve solely around topics like "i no can fillz mah caaanteanz plox halp !!!!!11!!"

Not being able to talk about server wide glitches / bugs is not conducive to an alpha test environment and needs to be reversed.

There should at least be some method of communicating with server admins to tell them that they have reset their damn server incorrectly.

Server resets consist of typing #shutdown into the BErcon' date=' or just closing the server program. And then starting it back up. There really isn't much to do "incorrectly", issues that you have with this are caused by desync with the central DB.

As it stands now, for me to contact a server admin, I have to register on every forum for every group that hosts servers my clan plays on.

Find out their name on here, pm them here.

This is in addition to the fact that all the people who have not upgraded to the ARMA beta patch can still talk freely' date=' but seeing as they haven't upgraded, their discussions seem to revolve solely around topics like "i no can fillz mah caaanteanz plox halp !!!!!11!!"

[/quote']

Play on a server that requires the latest beta to even join, pretty simple to solve.

Regarding restarting the servers, if the HIVE and the server are not restarted the right way, then all the tents and vehicles saved on the map don't reappear until the it has all been done correctly. This is a known bug that you are simply not acknowledging, and it happens all the time.

Also, if you have some magical way of figuring out peoples names on the forums without being able to ask them in game because the global chat has been disable, please let me know.

My main point still stands as well, not being able to discuss bugs and glitches that are affecting an entire server is not beneficial to an alpha test.

Regarding restarting the servers' date=' if the HIVE and the server are not restarted the right way, then all the tents and vehicles saved on the map don't reappear until the it has all been done correctly. This is a known bug that you are simply not acknowledging, and it happens all the time.

Also, if you have some magical way of figuring out peoples names on the forums without being able to ask them in game because the global chat has been disable, please let me know.

My main point still stands as well, not being able to discuss bugs and glitches that are affecting an entire server is not beneficial to an alpha test.

[/quote']

I'm telling you the truth man, starting a server consists of starting a single application. There is no user error involved. Hive desyncs happen due to reasons uncontrollable to the admin.

I, unlike you, have actually started a DayZ server, infact, I start one ~4 times a day, I do exactly the same thing every time, sometimes, tents don't spawn, and since I put my name in the MOTD and the server name someone will pm me and tell me.

My restart procedure:

1. Warn everyone on the server using rcon: say -1 SERVER RESTART 5 Minutes

2. type #shutdown into rcon.

3. Double click startup script (which is just a script that archives logs, and then calls the server executable with command line arguments that never change)

4. Log off RDP.

I have three valuable words for you:

Get over it.

Nothing to "get over".

I'm pointing out that without the global chat there is no way to commuicate in game about server wide problems. Which is both illogical and frustrating.

Way to add to a discussion, by the way.

I have three valuable words for you:

Get over it.

Nothing to "get over".

I'm pointing out that without the global chat there is no way to commuicate in game about server wide problems. Which is both illogical and frustrating.

Way to add to a discussion' date=' by the way.

[/quote']

Get on their teamspeak/vent/mumble.

Fixed.

Regarding restarting the servers' date=' if the HIVE and the server are not restarted the right way, then all the tents and vehicles saved on the map don't reappear until the it has all been done correctly. This is a known bug that you are simply not acknowledging, and it happens all the time.

[/quote']

I'm telling you the truth man, starting a server consists of starting a single application. There is no user error involved. Hive desyncs happen due to reasons uncontrollable to the admin.

I, unlike you, have actually started a DayZ server, infact, I start one ~4 times a day, I do exactly the same thing every time, sometimes, tents don't spawn, and since I put my name in the MOTD and the server name someone will pm me and tell me.

My restart procedure:

1. Warn everyone on the server using rcon: say -1 SERVER RESTART 5 Minutes

2. type #shutdown into rcon.

3. Double click startup script (which is just a script that archives logs, and then calls the server executable with command line arguments that never change)

4. Log off RDP.

Let me rephrase, I'm not saying that the admin does something incorrect, I guess that wasn't clear in my post. I am saying that it happens due to the game being buggy, and that is why we need global chat. Not all admins are as thorough as you are and players currently have no logical way of contacting server admins to report problems with the servers.

Get on their teamspeak/vent/mumble.

Fixed.

Which, if one can even find the link to it, is more times than not password protected. Seems like a great solution.

[/quote']

HiveEXT is a dll. It is loaded with the server.

If you restart the server, you restart Hive. What you are saying no longer applies with 1.7.0 +

[/quote']

If you restart the server, you restart Hive. What you are saying no longer applies with 1.7.0 +

Thanks for the response rocket, I won't pretend to understand exactly how the servers work as I don't run one right now (though I am looking into trying to set one up), however your answer does lead me to another question.

Why do the vehicles and tents not spawn sometimes if the problem with the server / hive restart is fixed?

Also, just a suggestion, but some form of OOC chat for reporting server problems that is policed by the admins, or through some other method to prevent its exploitation, would be very useful while the mod is still in alpha.

[/quote']

Thanks for the response rocket, I won't pretend to understand exactly how the servers work as I don't run one right now (though I am looking into trying to set one up), however your answer does lead me to another question.

Why do the vehicles and tents not spawn sometimes if the problem with the server / hive restart is fixed?

Also, just a suggestion, but some form of OOC chat for reporting server problems that is policed by the admins, or through some other method to prevent its exploitation, would be very useful while the mod is still in alpha.

If you talk in group chat while in the lobby, the admin can see that in the admin console. If they aren't in the console, odds are they wouldn't be able to restart it at that moment anyway.

[/quote']

If you talk in group chat while in the lobby, the admin can see that in the admin console. If they aren't in the console, odds are they wouldn't be able to restart it at that moment anyway.

Did not know that, thanks for the info.

it's not disabled in the latest arma beta, there is a bug if your running the latest beta on a server that isn't up-to-date then you wont be able to use the global channels.

I honestly dont see any kind of negatives associated with global chat, besides actual voice chat.

I honestly think it only limits you when you cannot chat globally. You cannot communicate with server admins, and without communicating with them its impossible to find their teamspeak or forum names.

Also what the hell is with some of the responses in this thread? If anything goes "against the grain" you automatically dismiss it with retarded responses.