MouseDenton

Hats! EDIT: & Dog Tags

Okay, okay, okay, maybe not exactly hats. But that's exactly what I think about when it comes to in-game items used as recognition of the player's contribution or activities thanks to TF2. And, like many of us here, I think it'd be cool if there were some way to differentiate those that played DayZ in alpha from those that joined in beta (I'm assuming that'd be the standalone) and everyone who joins after it's finished. In other words: GIMME!!!

Maybe this could be a small symbol in front of the player's nameplate, a tweak to their player skins like a badge, or something as awesome as a hat or unique melee weapon that's consistent between lives (that last one's a bit of a stretch, pushing the whole "rebirth" thing of respawning). Such a bonus would help ease the pain some people might feel after having bought ARMA II combined operations (or even all the expansions) just to play DayZ, and then find out that the standalone is coming by the end of the year.

The way I figure this could be done is if, when you're creating your character for the standalone and registering with the central hive, the game can scan your computer for your ARMA II OA folder and check your GUID, then search the current hive's list for a matching one. If you're on there without a ban or other black mark, boom! There ya go! A green beret, just for you, you trooper of the ARMA II engine!

What do you guys think? Should we get some sort of recognition over everyone else just because we suffered through the ARMA II bugs? Does every game need hats*? (Both actual and/or metaphorical.)

EDIT:

A friend and I were talking about character customization, and he mentioned Battlefield 3's dog tags. The idea would be very similar to that of BF3, where on the front one is your player name and on the back is a custom image (or chosen from pre-sets), but they would be visible on your character while you're alive as well as removable from your dead body. Right off the bat my mind went nuts imagining bandits with necklaces filled with other people's dog tags, or even hanging from their guns.

Ideas?

Edited by MouseDenton
  • Like 4

Initial reaction(to the title): NO!

Edit: No, we don't need to differentiate players based on when they played the damn game. It counts as entitlement that you want this before they have even mentioned it. (Have they? I'll assume not. Sorry if it's not the case.) Yes, you helped to test the mod, but they never really asked you to do it. They never expected even a third of the amount of unique players DayZ currently has.

"Unique melee weapon that's consistent between lives (that last one's a bit of a stretch, pushing the whole "rebirth" thing of respawning)."

You are right, it does stretch it a whole lot. But I kind-of like this idea, simply because it's not an obvious copypaste idea from another game. (Unique skins did not come from TF2, so even they basically ripped off someone else, but the gaming industry is based on stealing ideas and tweaking them a bit.) But if this WAS to be added, it should not be any different from, say, an axe you find on the ground. Not something you spawn with, unless everybody spawns with a melee weapon.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

Initial reaction(to the title): NO!

Was totally expecting this :P

It counts as entitlement that you want this before they have even mentioned it.

I was actually inspired by Blacklight: Retribution's offering weapon tags and a limited-time-offer weapon to those who played prior and during the STEAM release. Before then I could only remember seeing this sort of promotional stuff being done in TF2 (and amazingly at that), which is why I use the phrase "hats" to describe that sort of stuff; something strictly cosmetic but unique for something you did or happened to take part in that doesn't necessarily have to do with the game it's in.

..something strictly cosmetic but unique for something you did or happened to take part in that doesn't necessarily have to do with the game it's in.

Yeah, I won't object to that. But I still stand by my opinion that it does count as slight self-entitlement if the testers themselves ask to get something for doing something the developers never asked. If Rocket had advertised the game and required an invitation to the alpha, I would've supported your idea of wanting something cosmetic and unique for playing.

But he did not. He simply made the mod and was expecting around 20'000 - 30'000 people to play it, but look at where we are now.

Yeah, I won't object to that. But I still stand by my opinion that it does count as slight self-entitlement if the testers themselves ask to get something for doing something the developers never asked. If Rocket had advertised the game and required an invitation to the alpha, I would've supported your idea of wanting something cosmetic and unique for playing.

But he did not. He simply made the mod and was expecting around 20'000 - 30'000 people to play it, but look at where we are now.

A friend of mine actually was going through the coding and stuff when we finally got our own server, and found that there's actually a skin specifically for Rocket. It might be that all the devs have their own ARMA skins, but that was another factor that got me to post this. But really, it's not like I'm going to participate in a beta just for an in-game item. It'd also be interesting if certain items that you could use to customize your character (which has been mentioned in for the standalone) were unlocked through achievements, like survive for 10 days or get 500 zombie kills in one life. Things not impossible, but hard enough to make you appreciate the hat/badge/colored socks you get for it.

• Like 2

How about purely spawning some gear in game that will appear differently in the full release. That means that the more the alpha was played by a player the more likely they are to have "alpha gear".

Even if it is just pieces of clothing like the "Anyone in Cherno?" T-shirt.

How about purely spawning some gear in game that will appear differently in the full release. That means that the more the alpha was played by a player the more likely they are to have "alpha gear".

Even if it is just pieces of clothing like the "Anyone in Cherno?" T-shirt.

Well the issue I saw with this is that there'd be code for that item somewhere in the game, since items in the world are server-side. Someone could then duplicate, intentionally spawn, or otherwise hack it, and at that point you might as well just give it to everyone, which is where the GUIDs would come in. Plus, matching up players registering for the standalone the with hive's list would ensure that people banned during the alpha couldn't get anything (or maybe they'd get a bright red T-shirt they can't skin over :P)

I wouldn't like DayZ to reward players for anything with custom skins or something. I think there are enough cosmetics in the game (clothing, face skins, hero/bandit skin), the only addition that would make sense imo would be a medics badge or anything like that.

As a reward for achievements I would prefer a way to unlock minor starting equipment: Survive 10 days -> get a 2nd starting bandage, Feed the hungry -> get 1 can of starting beans. Anything like that. But I would be totally ok with no achievements or unlockables at all.

A friend of mine actually was going through the coding and stuff when we finally got our own server, and found that there's actually a skin specifically for Rocket. It might be that all the devs have their own ARMA skins, but that was another factor that got me to post this.

I have to say: I'm ok with developers who put something in a game just for them. They made the game, so in other words: they created the earth our ingame selfs walk on. So they can do whatever they want with their game: it's their creation!

And a different skin is far less gamechaning than the TF2 weapons all the TF2 developers have. Rocket could make one of these for himself and put all the hackers to rest: http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Ban_hammer =)

I wouldn't like DayZ to reward players for anything with custom skins or something. I think there are enough cosmetics in the game (clothing, face skins, hero/bandit skin), the only addition that would make sense imo would be a medics badge or anything like that.

As a reward for achievements I would prefer a way to unlock minor starting equipment: Survive 10 days -> get a 2nd starting bandage, Feed the hungry -> get 1 can of starting beans. Anything like that. But I would be totally ok with no achievements or unlockables at all.

I have to say: I'm ok with developers who put something in a game just for them. They made the game, so in other words: they created the earth our ingame selfs walk on. So they can do whatever they want with their game: it's their creation!

And a different skin is far less gamechaning than the TF2 weapons all the TF2 developers have. Rocket could make one of these for himself and put all the hackers to rest: http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Ban_hammer =)

I figured the unlockables (strictly cosmetic) would be a way to offer players some consistency and progression, without ending up with the goddamn MMORPG ladder of levels. Functionally, you're still the same scared mound of flesh with legs and loot as everyone else, but since you didn't screw up too bad last life, here's a cookie :D

And I'm totally with you on deference to the developers. All hail! If it wasn't for them we'd be stuck waiting for the next CoD game to slam another nail into the coffin of creative gaming!

we dont need no goddamn hats like yee mane hats mane i gotta wear my hat mane like yeeeeeeeeeee

If character customisation makes it in to the game, I think everything should be available to everyone. Over a million people played the alpha mod anyway, so it's not like you'd be speshul.

I'd like to see clothing as loot drops. Different hats, glasses, coats, hoodies, jeans, track pants... Whatever. It's realistic that you'd find his stuff while looting houses so why not be able to pick it up in game? It would make it easier to recognise friends too.

It would be nice if there was a way to 'paint' on your own designs to a shirt, pants, etc, using dyes or other such things you could find.

I'd be rockin' some sort of Megaman shirt. I'd hope someone would do me the favor of wiping the blood off and taking it after they shot me instead of leaving it.

But really, it's not like I'm going to participate in a beta just for an in-game item. It'd also be interesting if certain items that you could use to customize your character (which has been mentioned in for the standalone) were unlocked through achievements, like survive for 10 days or get 500 zombie kills in one life. Things not impossible, but hard enough to make you appreciate the hat/badge/colored socks you get for it.

Now this, I definitely agree with!

It would be nice if there was a way to 'paint' on your own designs to a shirt, pants, etc, using dyes or other such things you could find.

I'd be rockin' some sort of Megaman shirt. I'd hope someone would do me the favor of wiping the blood off and taking it after they shot me instead of leaving it.

Oh God, I can see all the 13 year olds running around with crudely drawn phalluses on their shirts already...

Oh God, I can see all the 13 year olds running around with crudely drawn phalluses on their shirts already...

They'd make good targets! "Ha! I shot your dick off!"

I like the idea of people who played in the alpha and/or beta get some kind of privilege even if its something small like clothing.