Talyessin

Growing Food/Harvesting?

You could even have to water them using water bottles, or if it rains then they get full of water. You could also require it that it needs to be planted on plowed dirt(Makes it harder to just grow melons up in the hills).

I think its a great idea.

Nice idea, besides, there are lots of fields , which could be already filled with wheat and such.

The whole map is full of fields that could have stuff growing in them that we could just harvest.

Do you think that this game is being played more stationary and therefore people moving around less, other then going for the occastional supply run.It would make more sense when this game get more in depth that you be allowed to do the common place things like having a garden and harvesting food that we take for granted in our world but not in a post apocalyptic society.

Legislator' pid='118481' dateline='1339862612']

I have to admit that I also like the idea. Farming DayZ would be a nice extra feature.

These sort of things work really well for games like this , beacause you are trying to create a realistic scenario.

This is great idea that will encourage civilizations, cities, and fortified solo player houses all around raising crops for survival. +1. Heres to hoping rocket sees and implements.

Also I love the gout idea. That could be a negative to constant eating of red meat.

I believe that what makes this game challenging and unique is the decision process. Negatives and positives to each decision made.

This is great idea that will encourage civilizations' date=' cities, and fortified solo player houses all around raising crops for survival. +1. Heres to hoping rocket sees and implements.

Also I love the gout idea. That could be a negative to constant eating of red meat.

I believe that what makes this game challenging and unique is the decision process. Negatives and positives to each decision made.

[/quote']

The benefits with growing crops would be the ability to feed a larger group maybe , this would make it a more worth while endeavour.

I like the idea of farming and maybe being able to keep chickens. The transplanting is a great idea. However, I think that they should have two different servers: a farming, and non farming.

With farming, it would be neat if you could either grow pants from seeds (found in Barnes) or from transplant (found in fields or backyards). A seed should take about 6 weeks to mature- so its better to start off with a transplant (seedling (2-5 weeks to harvest), flowering plant (0-2 weeks to harvest), or mature plant (ready to harvest)). However, with farming you would have to deal with preventing other players from stealing/trashing your crops. Plants that need to be water will wilt and eventually die. Mature plants can be harvested multiple times depending on what you were growing. To plant crops you would have to find fertilizer, an entrenching tool , water, and seed/pant.

I think owning a chicken might offer a quicker reward and would appeal to more people. Every day the chicken lays an egg that you can eat. Chickens/ eggs can be picked up and carried to a new location and placed in a coop. If you have a male and female chicken, you can get chicks. You can also kill and eat your chickens. Chickens would be found in Barnes.

Because farming requires so much time, work, and risk- it would make the game more enjoyable. It would give you something to do after fixing helicopters and cars. Farms would encourage people to settle and store loot. Large piles of loot may trigger tribal wars.

I like the idea of farming and maybe being able to keep chickens. The transplanting is a great idea. However' date=' I think that they should have two different servers: a farming, and non farming.

With farming, it would be neat if you could either grow pants from seeds (found in Barnes) or from transplant (found in fields or backyards). A seed should take about 6 weeks to mature- so its better to start off with a transplant (seedling (2-5 weeks to harvest), flowering plant (0-2 weeks to harvest), or mature plant (ready to harvest)). However, with farming you would have to deal with preventing other players from stealing/trashing your crops. Plants that need to be water will wilt and eventually die. Mature plants can be harvested multiple times depending on what you were growing. To plant crops you would have to find fertilizer, an entrenching tool , water, and seed/pant.

I think owning a chicken might offer a quicker reward and would appeal to more people. Every day the chicken lays an egg that you can eat. Chickens/ eggs can be picked up and carried to a new location and placed in a coop. If you have a male and female chicken, you can get chicks. You can also kill and eat your chickens. Chickens would be found in Barnes.

Because farming requires so much time, work, and risk- it would make the game more enjoyable. It would give you something to do after fixing helicopters and cars. Farms would encourage people to settle and store loot. Large piles of loot may trigger tribal wars.

[/quote']

If the servers where to stay up permanently and if they did go down all progress would be saved if it did go down then this would be a very interesting thing to implement.

I think this would be a good addition to the game.

It would allow groups to fortify a location and then grow crops inside to support a community. Maybe you could even find a live stock out in the waists and bring them back to your little village where there can housed in pens. If you get multiple animals of the same species in the pen, overtime they could breed and the animals could be harvested for meat and milk.

Building a community like this would be difficult but defending it from bandits would be even more so. Either way it would add so much game play and introduce an end game of sorts.

Time is relative and it does take time to grow crops, if this where a stand alone mmo with dedicated servers where your character would always be saved and so would your crops then it would work.I think that harvesting crops from a garden or berries from a bush would be a idea that would work.

I agree with this, growing your own crops would not work as in game time = real time. It would take seasons to grow crops realisticly. Why not just implement gardens/farm patches, bushes with berries (and poisonous berries) to harvest in the woods, fields of grain/corn... etc

Average lifetime : 49 minutes.

What can you grow in 49 minutes? Not even a beard.

Its not minecraft, and you cant whip out bonemeal to speed the process up

I think it would be fun and it makes since but unless theres player towns I dont see this being good. Lets say they put it in the game, first you would have to find the tools and seeds to get the garden going. Then wait for the plants to grow. Thats cutting out alot of the realism such as watering the plant, and waiting a good while for it to grow. Ok so with that cut out, heres what will happen.

Bandits will steal your plants

You will die before even havesting

You will die finding seeds

You will forget where you planted them

I like the idea but until some other things come in I dont see them implemented this into the game.

Man, this is DayZ - not farmville.

But I have to admit, it could be fun to have something for the hash pipe. Calm down, it's just a joke!

Edited by subvision

I thought this was a neat idea, having the ability to grow food by finding seeds and planting them.This probably would be a element of survival that would add something else to the whole mix.The time it would take to grow would be the only factor and as I am not a game developer I would not know how it would work in the mechanics of the game.However there is real satisfaction about growing your own food IRL why not in game.The seeds could be found in houses, barns and markets to name a few.Another element would be the ability to harvest things like pumpkin patches,etc. This is just another idea but it is a neat one for sure.One thing that would be something that could be a problem would be time to allow the seed to be planted and then for the plant to grow,real time would take a while but it is just a idea. Harvesting something would be more probable.This would allow you to find something such as a pumpkin patch, etc and then harvest it for food.

Living a life during zombie apocalypse is possible in RL so I support this idea. This also will add more fun to the game.

Average lifetime : 49 minutes.

What can you grow in 49 minutes? Not even a beard.

well so far this comment, and "this isnt minecraft have been the only objections i can see to this idea.

(apart from the time period for growth which i think could be reduced)

as a pose to ze comment above, that time has been going up, and when the all mechanics have been introduced and are smoother itll be higher. this isnt just bugs that are being tested but how people play it.

so yea i think its a cool idea

The reason I suggested this was to add something else to the game , I know people say this is'nt Minecraft or Farmville.Well it is'nt suppose to be, this game is about survival.This means finding food and one way was to grow it, this would take time.Maybe when this game is stand alone, whenever that happens it can support this sort of endavour .Harvesting the food or items around the map would be short term idea.

I think raising livestock could be something added to this as well.

Edited by Talyessin

I saw an interview where rocket talked about having this along with underground bases and some other things. If I wasn't at work I'd link it.