Sign in to follow this  
colekern

Instead of making zombies stronger, why not make them use tactics?

If there's one suggestion that urks me every time I see it, it's the "make zombies tougher and slower" thread. Why? Cause 1. super-tough zombies wouldn't really fit in with DayZ's realistic nature and 2. If they were slower, by far the best option would be to run. So here's what I propose.

Make zombies smarter. Make them think like predators would. Like uh... wolves? What I mean is that they should work together to get their meals.For example, if you attract a couple of zombies, then one should charge you while the others circle around and come from different directions. Pretty simple, nut it would make it much easier to get overwhelmed.

Like it? Don't like it? Tell me in the comments!

• Like 3

while it is a valid point that they shouldn't make zombies slower for the simple fact it would be too easy the general idea of zombies is that they are brain dead and run on primary functions so eating they lack any intelligence so making them smarter would in its self take the realism out of the game well as real as zombies are but you get my drift.

but i guess what they could do is make them slower but put a lot more zombies in place so it is harder to do what needs to be done

• Like 1

Tactics does not make too much sense as stated above. One idea buried in here somewhere was a sort of 'leader' zed/infected. Along the lines of I am Legend. One that howls louder than the others if it spots you thus alerting the others and calling more on you than you would normally aggro. This zed needs to not be identifiable though and must look like the other ones so you cannot just take it out before heading in. Also every town/village/industrial area does not have to have one, just the chance of one to keep you on your toes When you hear the loud howl/scream , you know it is time to get the fuck out of dodge

Something along those lines anyway.

I think the tactics idea is pretty cool and making them slower so their sprint would be your jog is dumb. Also I sorta agree to Hetstaine about the howler is like the get everyone together bell.

I'm glad no one here remembers who the "zombies" in this game are actually "infected", not zombies, infected....so this suggestion would fit with the game, while zombies are brain dead, infected can be whatever they want, brain dead, or not....

Yeah i constantly call them 'zeds' and ' infected ' in the same paragraph :) Sometimes i go back and change it other times i coodn be fooked.

I like my zombies stupid and in big numbers, not easier to kill, maybe a bit slower.

I say add wolves and make them Smart, so they Stalk you and attack wen you're week as in real life.

Wolves howling in the night, i think they will fit nicely in the world of dayz.

Edited by thomas28

I personally like the infectedZ as they are now for the most part. Just the speed of animations makes dealing with them crazy.

Even looking down the sights tracking them running around fucks with my head(especially monkeys). I reckon once the animations are tidied up, any behaviour they're given wont appear so daft.

Ducking faster than humanly possible, without any way for me to know whether it was my bad timing or he saw it coming somehow manages to be both immersion breaking and immersive simultaneously.

I trust Rocket has a plan, and I'd rather wait and see what he comes up with than try and suggest what he should be doing to his game.

EDIT: It's the spawning that really doesn't feel right. And that's already confirmed to be getting an overhaul.

Edited by Chabowski

AI programming is very difficult. Pathfinding alone has made or killed videogames. I have faith that our devs will make the zeds fully capable in regards to Rocket's original idea.

I personally like the infectedZ as they are now for the most part. Just the speed of animations makes dealing with them crazy.

Even looking down the sights tracking them running around @#!*% with my head(especially monkeys). I reckon once the animations are tidied up, any behaviour they're given wont appear so daft.

Ducking faster than humanly possible, without any way for me to know whether it was my bad timing or he saw it coming somehow manages to be both immersion breaking and immersive simultaneously.

I trust Rocket has a plan, and I'd rather wait and see what he comes up with than try and suggest what he should be doing to his game.

EDIT: It's the spawning that really doesn't feel right. And that's already confirmed to be getting an overhaul.

I was just thinking out loud. I've got full faith in Rocket, though.