NecroMech

A question about lighting and a exploitation.

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the night-time lighting system will be like in stand alone.

At the moment there is a simple exploit that I don't want to mention here but it has to do with being able to see at night without assistance from torches etc.

I'm just hoping this will be fixed for standalone so it doesn't remove anything from the atmospheric/immersive elements of the game.

Pretty much yeah...

The more I think about it the more I feel it will probably be impossible to find a workaround given the variance in people's hardware. (Monitors, GPU's etc)

Something I'll just have to live with i guess B)

Using a game's built in graphics option for the exact reason it was intended isn't an exploit, it's common sense. OP is an idiot...

Using a game's built in graphics option for the exact reason it was intended isn't an exploit, it's common sense. OP is an idiot...

that's arguable but yeah, I see no reason not to use ot if ot's available to you.

@OP atm the night time is unrealistically dark, just play on takistan and check out the street lights

I've posted in other threads my thoughts about night time in DayZ, so I won't waste time here and I'll just say that I hope the lighting at night is fixed for the standalone.

• Like 1

that's arguable but yeah, I see no reason not to use ot if ot's available to you

How is it arguable? It's like saying that changing your FOV in an FPS game that allows it is an exploit because it gives you a wider view angle than those who play with default settings. The brightness/gamma sliders are there to increase/decrease you're brightness, so that's what I'll use them for. Pretty sure Rocket could make 1.0 the max setting for both as part of the mod if he wanted to. It would take like 30 seconds of coding...

Welcome to online gaming, knowledge is power.

There's a good chance that a lot of players won't play night time if the gamma slider is removed/locked, especially if the moaners who don't want NVG win (as the moaners always seem to) I've played some nights without NVG that were so dark even with gamma up full that I had to switch servers to a day time server

Damn guys no need to be so hostile lol.

Calling me an idiot for being a new forum user who doesn't want to mess up straight away by posting what could possibly be construed as an exploit?

Yes it's a built in function of the ARMA engine. That doesn't mean its "working as intended" for DayZ.

And the thing I'm talking about isn't JUST the gamma slider...

Also I never said it was super secret lol.

"I know I'll ignore the question and just rag on the OP... great idea"

Edited by NecroMech

LOL your not an idiot.I agree you did the right thing as many do not know about the gamma slider.This thread though made me LOL.

Hello there

Whilst not hax0r, use of the gamma slider to gain an advantage is somewhat of an exploit no matter how one argues it.

Yes, use it to get a realistic night feel, don't use it to get catlike vision and negate the need for NVG's. Op's a bit daft for not realising this is a common exploit or doing a seach, but at least he did try to contribute in a positive manner.

You're all meanies, off to bed the lot of you, and don't think i'm going to tuck you in tonight...

rgds

LoK

ps that's TUCK

Edited by orlok
  • Like 1

LOL your not an idiot.I agree you did the right thing as many do not know about the gamma slider.This thread though made me LOL.

lol thanks :) I was just treading lightly...

People who wonder why there is pretty much a kill on sight culture in DayZ atm should read these forums...

Hello there

Whilst not hax0r, use of the gamma slider to gain an advantage is somewhat of an exploit no matter how one argues it.

Yes, use it to get a realistic night feel, don't use it to get catlike vision and negate the need for NVG's. Op's a bit daft for not realising this is a common exploit or doing a seach, but at least he did try to contribute in a positive manner.

You're all meanies, off to bed the lot of you, and don't think i'm going to tuck you in tonight...

rgds

LoK

ps that's TUCK

Thanks for the kind words and I totally agree with your statement about the lighting.

I do realize that this is used commonly... Again just treading lightly.

Basically I was just wondering if there was anyway around it...

Probably not but oh well ..

Hello there

There are ways to implement a darker night, but many servers just override it to give the lighter version.

Gamma tweaking has been an issue for online competitive games for years, until we all have perfectly calibrated monitors in ideal lighting situations it's going to be an issue :)

rgds

LoK

I don't see why they would fix it, I mean, it's incredibly fun to throw flares into a populated city, sneak around it and yell at people from the shadows.

God, it's hilarious screaming ''Right behind you'' and watching them look around all flustered and confused.

Or disconnect, either way.

It seems that the gamma slider has varying effects depending upon how bright the moon is on a given server. Sometimes full gamma makes it like I have NVGs, other times, its still impossible to see.

Either way, I don't mind, so long as the playing field is even. I actually prefer NOT using gamma hacks, just because the atmosphere is SOOO much better when its dark. You're trying to find your way around, then, all of the sudden, the next street over lights up with that red, eerie glow from a road flare, and you know you are not alone. Thats when the game gets interesting for me.

My favorite activity of all in Dayz is hunting flashlights. Trying to get as close as I can to a player, using only their light, tracking their movements. Anticipating where they will go next based on where they are currently. Sometimes I like to get just outside of the building they are in, then having a little chat over direct comms. Most times I just rattle them a little and move on if they're noob, offer a few hints (such as don't use your damn flashlight), and move on. If they're running around with a gun though, I will usually take the shot when I get close enough.