Dr. Parallax

Lower Tier Rifle!

So, I know this suggestion is not very exciting, adding a new crap tier rifle and all... I was just thinking, guns are so powerfull in DayZ. That is fine, realistic, cool. Then I thought of a rifle that is realisticaly very low powered and also, at least in the USA quite common. The .22 rifle!

Basically, my concept would be a rifle that is common, has a low magnification scope, shoots about as fast as the Lee Enfield and kills a zombie in 1 headshot or like 8 body shots. It would take 2 headshots to kill a normal person, or a metric ton of body shots. Basicaly a very quiet zombie killing gun before you get something good.

What do you guys think about adding low tier guns to the game? I know there are tons of suggestions on the higher end guns, what are some ideas for crap tier guns?

• Like 11

thats actually a really good idea :D

.22 is a really crap caliber for anything but up close or rabbits.

Perhaps a lever action .22 or even a 10/22 (i think thats what theyre called).

consider your beans earned :D

• Like 1

here have a can of beans

Edited by googlebox

not really, would depend on the caliber of .22, long rifle maybe 5, this is assuming the infected cant feel pain so basically your'e trying to knock out the essentials, i.e spine, heart, lungs. All of which are protected by the rib cage and to be honest, the penetration power of a .22 is not that great, even on rotting flesh,8 seems reasonable to me

I'm sure a shot to the temple or a sensitive part of the head would kill a person with a .22

You wouldn't need two .22s to head to do the job and .22 is the perfect surirvor rifle! I'd take it mainly due to the fact that 500 rounds of ammo would weigh about as much as 2 mags of generic assault rifle ammo. You usally buy it in boxes 500 rounds at a time. A .22 will surely be added.

-CZ is famous for its .22s more so than their big calibers (think the CZ in dayz) Those are overpriced, precious euro guns.

- The 10/22 is one of the most prolific civilan rifles in the world

-22 lever actions are another, winchester 250 for example

But not just .22, we need over-under shotguns, more bolt action rifles (ruger,sako, mosin, mauser aka-civilan), baikal rifle (one of russias most prolific models), double rifles, a bigger map with clear rural areas with an emphasise on civilian (think the begining sections of stalker) with a focus on melee and small arms (with the occasional well hidden assault rifle that can imagine a farmer would hide out of sight), this would be a place for noobs to cut their teeth. Military hardware must be harder to find and more spread out, all of this has been dicussed and should and probally will be implemented.

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 1

You can easily kill someone with a .22 ... It merely depends on placement and range.

Ya, I guess I should have clarified. If you are 10 feet from someone and shoot them in the temple or something... I was basically just comparing it to the makarov damage, which it would be considerably less than at close range and maybe slightly more at long range. Also, many areas of the head would not be instant death, and I think it is all just one hit box in game.

Edit: To be perfectly clear: It is reasonable to think a person can die to 1 .22 shot to the head. It is reasonable to think a person can live after 1 .22 shot to the head. I think 2 headshots to kill a person would be better for gameplay! (:

Edited by Dr. Parallax

I beg to differ on .22 ammunition. There are multiple stories where the rounds are able to penetrate the head, either from the eye or through the skull itself, but do not have the velocity or force necessary to exit, and instead pinball around the inside of the cranium for several bounces. You can imagine how very dead a person would be if this happened.

There are versions of the .22 that can achieve nearly four thousand fps muzzle velocities, as well.

true indeed, .22 was a favourite caliber for executions in the mafia .i think. because of the way it would basically shred the brain. I think 1 shot to the head is fair as is 8 shots from range to the body to kill. Trizzo has exactly the right idea here, we need more gun, sure some would be of the same caliber, soem would even look the so alike, only a gun enthusiast would know the difference, but this variety would defiantly spice up the game and make it much more immersive.

I beg to differ on .22 ammunition. There are multiple stories where the rounds are able to penetrate the head, either from the eye or through the skull itself, but do not have the velocity or force necessary to exit, and instead pinball around the inside of the cranium for several bounces. You can imagine how very dead a person would be if this happened.

There are versions of the .22 that can achieve nearly four thousand fps muzzle velocities, as well.

Bouncing .22s stories are pretty much just stories. A .22 has enough power to penetrate a skull at 0-150 ms easily (talking about your average run of the mill .22). When it hits the skull it will pretty much crumble/mushroom/expand, the notion that it has enough energy to then bounce in a compleltly different and multiple directions after penetrating skin-> skull->tissue/muscle/brains->then deflecting and somehow maintaing velocity is suspcious. Of course all bullets can deflect and change trajectory in the body but the .22 being especially gifted has no evidence to back up the claim.

Not suggesting you made this claim but for an example for how complex balasitcs are, i'd suggest a .22 traveling at 4000 fps would do less "damage" than one traveling at a lower velocitiy. Increased increases spin->stability, increasing penetrating, making the bullet more stable but less prone to rapid "breaking" upon impact. It all depends on the bullet design though...

Edited by Trizzo

I admit it does depend on the ammunition, and I honestly can't remember who said this, but I enjoy quoting it.

"Bullets do wonky shit when they meet wetpack."

Round nosed .22lr rounds would probably be the best kind of ammo to support this. They deflect a great deal when coming into contact with bone on a slant.

Perhaps deflect would be a better word.

Hello there

TBH I'd really rather not ever get shot with a .22, Getting hit anywhere on the head with a golf ball, for example, is incapacitating.

I don't like to think of any weapons as in a tier rather their rarity.

.22's (or the east block equivalent) should be fairly common as should be shotguns. Anything used for pest control/low level hunting/farming I can accept as being "plentiful" (in game at least).

Police side arms and shotguns should be rarer but available in some quantity from towns, and anything other than that should be very rare indeed.

Anyhoo, whilst the 22 shouldn't be nerfed, I'd like to have em in game.

rgds

LoK

"Bullets do wonky shit when they meet wetpack." I once hit a rabbit with a .308 soft point 150gr . It was on a rise so nothing behind it. I let go the shot and the rabbit didn't move. Hmm thats odd, i went to inspect it. It was hit with such force that the bullet simply passed through the soft rabbit that there almost no visible damage. The entry wound was not even the size of a penny. I'd suggest a pen stabbed into cardboard sized hole.

Same with plastics bottles on fence posts. I've hit them with large calibers and they don't move, it passed through, the bottle unmoved. It's always funny seeing new shooters infuritated by their seeming lack of success at knocking down bottles, when they are actually riddled with bullet holes.

Last .22 story or suggestion (if you can find an empty oil drum!) Stand 50m+ away, shoot straight at it. You'll hear one high pitched "ding" of penetration and a dull "whump" of it failing to exit the barrel. Higher FPS would go through no doubt, i agree its all about the bullet.

Edited by Trizzo

Lots of drop.. doesn't matter, shreds meat. My dad thought 22lr was weak so he shot his shed with my Ruger pistol. It went through the plywood on both sides of it completely.

Edited by jabberwock

.22 is no joke, it will tear your intestines out when it hits (Light bullet). I think it should be 4 body shots to kill a zombie and would be semi-automatic. Ruger 10/22 for example. That's about the same as a pistol, so it wouldn't be overpowered in PvP either.

And of course, the ammo shouldn't be found in military spots at all, mostly in farms. It should be found in residental loot as well, but slightly less.

Edited by Sutinen

Well some more info Firstly it depends what ammo it is, there are alot of diffrent types Hollow point,fjm,silver shots,soft point,32-40 grain. I personally think this would be a very good weapon to put into the game not for killing but for hunting?

This game defenetley needs a .22 rifle. It's not all about PVP some people actualy want a rifle for hunting and some self protection. Also you could have .22 automatics. Crappy damage high rate of fire, lots of ammo.

I so think this needs to be implemented. Put simply, I could list you every gun in just about any game iv'e played(while after 3 years of french i couldnt ask for a glass of water, go figure), what I want from Day z is to NOT be able to do that, I dont care if the .22 is a ruger, S&W, berretta, etc, I just want lots of different ones :D

I always make sure to post in threads like this when I see them. I love this idea, and have made topics on it before. The .22 would be a great addition to the game.

I'd like to see the .22 in DayZ as a single-shot rifle, either bolt or breach loading. The way to simulate that in the ArmA engine would be to have the ammo come in a 100-cartridge magazine, but give the gun a really crappy rate of fire, to simulate manually loading the next shot into the chamber. That way, the gun has a big recommendation in terms of its low noise and efficient ammo storage (a box of 100 .22LR is way smaller than a STANAG magazine), so it can be used effectively to shoot zombie noggins at medium range without drawing the horde, but wouldn't be the win gun for PvP.

• Like 1

I'd love to see a Toz variant. Most likely the Toz 17 or 18. They're bolt action, and the half scopes they have are ugly in my opinion :P.

I believe this one is the 17

IMG_0711.jpg