Sign in to follow this  
Gordon Axeman

Make Chernarus an Island

Removing the debug plains  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Removing the debug

• Yes, with implementing villages, the big city, etc.
    • Yes, without any settlements, just remove it from the map.
    • No.
    • No, but adding more settlements is a good idea.
  2. 2. Realisation

• Conception 1 (just island with a little expansion)
    • Conception 2 (see "new conception"

So, the topic name says it all.

Before flaming read this post attentively.

I don't understand why Chernarus is not an island. To the north and west there are rather big empty spaces of debug fields. I had never reached the end of these, and I see no purpose in them being in the game. I know they are needed for technical reasons, but why can't they exist out of the active map boundaries (far in the sea, etc.). Also they are a great place to hoard loot and vehicles. You will never find a camp there unless you have a chopper. Camps there have been declared unfair even by the devs.

So why not to cut the debug plains out of the standalone game?

Maybe expanding the map a little, adding some small villages in the north, and hunter camps which spawn food, tools and hunting rifles. Also there may be added 3-5 car spawns in the villages to reward ppl which managed to get this far. And maybe a big town in the NW, with port etc. but without any player spawns. As of now, west and north are low-populated places where no action happens. This will also boost action in these areas.

Also introducing a new conception: wide river dividing northern and western Chernarus from another land. It will be the mainland already, some villages will be on the opposite coast and afterwards huge, unpassable mountain begins. Realistic Russian geography (southern mountains).

So, what do you think? Your suggestions and additions are welcome too.

Edited by Kpekep2
  • Like 7

A bigger map is what everyone would like. If I understand you correctly you would like to exPand the map north and west.

It would be interesting to see a city way up north. Much farther north than either of the northern air fields.

• Like 3

A bigger map is what everyone would like. If I understand you correctly you would like to exPand the map north and west.

It would be interesting to see a city way up north. Much farther north than either of the northern air fields.

A good addition. But what I can say, map can't be expanded endlessly. It must end sometimes. That is another main subject of my topic, to remove plenty of empty useless space and put a part of it to a good use.

In that case it would have to be close to the water, almost every big city (Not every) became big because they had a harbor.

I would like a bigger map as well. maybe double it's size towards the north and 1/3 to the west. Then way up there seome where a city. and not a small city like elektro of cherno. no a city more then double the size of those two combined. with a giant harbour etc. more buildings. more different buildings, big city buildings, maybe some musea, a mall etc. just pls no skyscrapers.

I'd say throw lingor island under Chernarus, connecting with a bride or have to use a boat to get there. You can spawn in Chernarus or Lingor ^_^

I like your idea but i will explain you why Chernarus is not an island.

In game on the north there 'is' Russian Federation and on the west there 'is' other part of the Chernarus, the Chernarus map in game is just South Zagoria province. But i think that they should change it in DayZ standalone to make boats more usefull. If Chernarus would be the island they could add way more islands :D

Edited by Born to be Wild (PL)
  • Like 2

I like your idea but i will explain you why Chernarus is not an island.

In game on the north there 'is' Russian Federation and on the west there 'is' other part of the Chernarus, the Chernarus map in game is just South Zagoria province. But i think that they should change it in DayZ standalone to make boats more usefull. If Chernarus would be the island they could add way more islands :D

Added a possible solution, see "new conception"

Map represents real location in the world, would take few diggers to make it an island..

I see lots of opportunities to somehow expand the map as the standalone develops.

What comes to lingor, I dont see how tropical island fits near russia... utes maybe.. or no.

I would like them to keep it representing the real location and expand from it.

• Like 1

I don't understand why Chernarus is not an island. To the north and west there are rather big empty spaces of debug fields. I had never reached the end of these, and I see no purpose in them being in the game.

Because the game is called Arma2 and dayz is only the mod for it.

Because the game is called Arma2 and dayz is only the mod for it.

Can you read?

I know they are needed for technical reasons, but why can't they exist out of the active map boundaries (far in the sea, etc.)

I know they are needed for technical reasons,

Wrong. Dayz mod uses it for technical reasons. In Arma2 those "debug plains" are used for different purpose. In fact, "debug plains" is Dayz term.

Wrong. Dayz mod uses it for technical reasons. In Arma2 those "debug plains" are used for different purpose. In fact, "debug plains" is Dayz term.

This don't change the fact that they can be put somewhere away from the map.

Great idea. It is kind of lame getting to the edge and seeing the flat nothingness. Just please only spawn people on the south beaches. Lingor is really difficult to play with friends because you spawn all around the map and have no clue how to get anywhere unless you are using an online map. Using an online map is a bit lame and it is really lame if it is required to play with friends...

• Like 1

I think that turning Chernarus+ into an island is one of few possibilities of handling the issue that is the map border.

Arguably it's one of the more 'pretty' looking ones and I'm in favor of doing it like that.

I think that turning Chernarus+ into an island is one of few possibilities of handling the issue that is the map border.

Arguably it's one of the more 'pretty' looking ones and I'm in favor of doing it like that.

Thanks.