schrapple

The lesser of two evils.

You can loot your own body and you can therefore die with no repercussions ?

What about the long run to get there, not to mention the possibility of your body, or your ph4t l00tz, not being there anymore ?

Vehicles lasting only one hour ?

What would be the point of even getting one ? It would be much more efficient to just run rather than to repair a vehicle and only use it once.

Tents disappearing when you die ?

Now , this is a pretty controversial matter but imo hoarding keeps people busy and it's only natural that you would try to get as much good stuff as you can. When tent duplication is gone you will actually have to choose what to keep and what to throw away, due to the tent only having so many slots, and I'm not even mentioning people being able to find your secret stash of pr0nz.

Also,tent storage space will most likely be drastically reduced in the standalone version , something along the line of weapons and items actually taking the amount of slots they do in your inventory.

Edited by DirtySpartan

Unlike internet arguments my time in not infinite, if you have a burning question or point you want addressed, Please post it as q brief question and I'll do what I can.

You seem to find time for everyone else's posts :( I... I... *runs off crying* BAWWWWWW *tears spraying forth like you've never seen before*.

Oh god how much longer will this go on? Oh well here goes.

I hope you realise you DIDN'T use the quote system the first time. That is why I didn't spot your reply.

I cut and pasted your questions so they wouldn't get lost in a quote of your entire post, you should read all posts made they may relate to what is being discussed by you.

Your suggestions are a step backwards in terms of simulation, and will make the game less enjoyable, as you will not be able to reap the rewards from your kills.

That's subjective, what my suggestions do that isn't subjective is address what are widely acknowledged flaws with the game. Yes things will be lost but others will be gained, these are not silver bullet suggestions they are just less crap then the problems they will solve.

The tent suggestion is OK, however it is a reward to have been able to successfully get to your tent form the coast, and everything to still be there.

There is little that is hard about moving across country without upsetting any zombies, it's not an achievement that should be rewarded with everything you need to survive.

Taking from your own body: It should be your killers choice whether you get to keep your items, and 'Hide Body' works fine for now. Equally, you start as a new character (hence the gender select) so it is not 'your' body but that of a previous survivor.

It's not your body it's just a body that your "new" character happens to know the exact location of, anyway that's not the main point of unlootable bodies. The point is to give life value by punishing death. When you get two bandits working together while you are killing one his mate kills you, which is fair enough, what isn't fair is that the bandits mate can then either guard the body and wait for his mate to come back or can pick up his mates gear. Hey presto invincible bandits. The main point is to punish death, to make life worth something. In a survival sim losing your life must be of consequence, to have it any other way makes no sense.

Also, the dev team are now working on the standalone to be released before christmas, so none of this will be fixed or implemented before that is complete!

Thanks god.

I don't understand these suggestions at all.

What fun would this game be at all without:

A.) Aquiring assets

and,

B.) Player vs Player interaction?

If vehicles and tents are made expendable, and there is no reason to engage other players in gun fights this game will die overnight. The whole zombie thing is impressive for about the first 72 hours, after that your realize how ridiculously easy they are to train and kill.

If there is any interest in keeping this game healthy whatsoever, developers will be looking into implementing the exact opposite of what the OP has suggested here.

I find vehicles all the time, you want to put in no time and get vehicles instantly. Not going to happen! I have found multiple vehicles each day, you just need to move around the map more!

You must be lucky with choice of server or have way too much time on your hands, I usually find that a scripter or three has messed with vehicles or there is a clan hoarding them, I think that there should be some kind of anti-hoarding measure MAYBE but I still say that if vehicles moved after a short time it would be bad.

Tents losing gear after death is sort of like your tent being stolen from by people finding it now you are dead and can no longer protect it, or at least thats how I would see it.

All that said PENDRAGON hit the nail on the head, we should have no real input as to how the game is made, just how well a mechanism works or doesn't when alpha testing but no input as to whether it becomes a part of the final game etc.

I think I read the worst suggestion ever for this game in this thread, the vehicle respawn nonsense. Maybe respawn vehicles after three days of no use (also fixes scripters teleporting vehicles into the water so no one can have them), but an hour is perhaps the single worst suggestion I have ever witnessed on these forums. Those of you who do not run around in a group finding vehicles to fix up have no idea how time consuming this process is, it can take an entire game session to just get a single vehicle up and running, now you want it to respawn after I log out of the game so you can just walk up and have a repaired vehicle? Or maybe you mean respawn it needing to be fixed up again, which is just as bad because now someone else has to find all the parts only to lose the vehicle on logout. Apparently you did not see the amount of anger that was on display when vehicle saving was not working properly but let me clue you in, people hate losing hours of work because someone else is too lazy to find a vehicle.

Increase the vehicle amount sure, make it so inactive vehicles respawn after a couple of days fine, but if you think anyone is going to be fine with losing vehicles to make your dayz life easier you are mistaken.

Personally, I've never shot another player and I'm not interested in doing so but I can see from the game that many do. I'd love to see private servers that kick out anyone who PvPs but then there should be PvP servers too. However, I can't see Rocket allowing that.

On vehicles, if you find one and work on it then it should be yours until it's stolen or written off in my view, not just disappear after x days.

Personally, I've never shot another player and I'm not interested in doing so but I can see from the game that many do. I'd love to see private servers that kick out anyone who PvPs but then there should be PvP servers too. However, I can't see Rocket allowing that.

On vehicles, if you find one and work on it then it should be yours until it's stolen or written off in my view, not just disappear after x days.

Yea I was not suggesting that x amount of days should be implemented, just I could live with that outcome but not some hour countdown to reward lazy players.

How have you never shot another player, I have had to kill at least four people in pure self defense so I am lost on how you manage to play the game without ever firing a shot. There are some private servers that enforce no PvP rules, but from what I understand it is insanely hard to enforce these rules and people still end up shooting each other frequently. With the lack of content I am still not sure how it could even be fun in the first place to PvE in this game, but to each his own (plus I do not have to worry here since Rocket already confirmed that is not his vision and there will be no place for it in standalone).

I can't see Rocket allowing that.

You're spot on. Rocket has stated time and time again that players should be the biggest threat in the game. The entire cornerstone of Rocket's vision is on PvP. Not exclusively "being shot at", but player VERSUS player. Raiding tents, taking cars, making you uneasy about being in a town, *and* shooting you. Everything. Without the PvP element the game becomes incredibly dull in a matter of a few days. The good news is that private hives + Rocket's open-ended design style means you could certainly make a PvE only server. You'd be turning a 180 from DayZ's design. But, you could certainly do it and no one would be angry since your personal server choice doesn't affect others.

Yes it does need some things addressing, however the team are working on the standalone not the mod. Also there are limitations with the engine.

And all of your suggestions are utter shite of the highest order. Please go and bury yourself in sand up to the neck at a local beach and wait for the tide to come in.

No-one will loot your body. Promise.

That's why I love this forum. A guy makes a thread with a few ideas in the hopes of cultivating a discussion and within a few posts it turns into a personal attack. The whole concept behind a public forum is to discuss ideas.. Which is all the OP was suggesting. You make it sound like he has rocket's ear and is dictating the games direction.

I happen to agree with your assessment to some degree just minus the sarcasm ;)

Sorry if the arguement changed in the next 3 pages, i only read the first post.

Anyway here's my responce.

Hell No. Maybe in that cheap rip-off WarZ but never, never here in DayZ.

DayZ = Alpha

ALPHA

L

P

H

A

Alpha is meant to be buggy.

That's a fact. More importantly any Alpha test usually consists of a group of players playing the game and sharing feedback which I would suspect is the reason for this forum being here. I don't see a problem with the OP's ideas, That's why we're here, To provide feedback, Good or bad, Both are useful.

I think I read the worst suggestion ever for this game in this thread, the vehicle respawn nonsense. Maybe respawn vehicles after three days of no use (also fixes scripters teleporting vehicles into the water so no one can have them), but an hour is perhaps the single worst suggestion I have ever witnessed on these forums. Those of you who do not run around in a group finding vehicles to fix up have no idea how time consuming this process is, it can take an entire game session to just get a single vehicle up and running, now you want it to respawn after I log out of the game so you can just walk up and have a repaired vehicle? Or maybe you mean respawn it needing to be fixed up again, which is just as bad because now someone else has to find all the parts only to lose the vehicle on logout. Apparently you did not see the amount of anger that was on display when vehicle saving was not working properly but let me clue you in, people hate losing hours of work because someone else is too lazy to find a vehicle.

Increase the vehicle amount sure, make it so inactive vehicles respawn after a couple of days fine, but if you think anyone is going to be fine with losing vehicles to make your dayz life easier you are mistaken.

Firstly if you read the thread you will see it mentioned several times that the amount of work needed to get a vehicle going would have to be reduced. Secondly I don't understand why you are so attached to the current system for vehicles, it is busted as all fuck and simply doesn't work. I would understand people getting upset if there was a working system that my recommendation would interrupt but there isn't, I can bet my left one that rocket never intended for vehicles to reach a point in this game where they may as well not even exist for all the part they play.

You're spot on. Rocket has stated time and time again that players should be the biggest threat in the game. The entire cornerstone of Rocket's vision is on PvP. Not exclusively "being shot at", but player VERSUS player. Raiding tents, taking cars, making you uneasy about being in a town, *and* shooting you. Everything. Without the PvP element the game becomes incredibly dull in a matter of a few days. The good news is that private hives + Rocket's open-ended design style means you could certainly make a PvE only server. You'd be turning a 180 from DayZ's design. But, you could certainly do it and no one would be angry since your personal server choice doesn't affect others.

How do people get the idea in their heads that having a punishment for death is anti PvP? There must be 10,000 first person shooter games out there that have no punishment for death, where you spawn with everything you need and the only point to the game is to kill opposing players, why do some many people want day-z to mimic this same boring old CoD/BF PvP recipe? I love that day-z has attempted to break the mold, I don't get why everyone is rushing to push it back into that mold? The day that another player kills me because I have something that they need urgently to survive will be the greatest day of my life, but I'm still waiting.

How do people get the idea in their heads that having a punishment for death is anti PvP? There must be 10,000 first person shooter games out there that have no punishment for death, where you spawn with everything you need and the only point to the game is to kill opposing players, why do some many people want day-z to mimic this same boring old CoD/BF PvP recipe? I love that day-z has attempted to break the mold, I don't get why everyone is rushing to push it back into that mold? The day that another player kills me because I have something that they need urgently to survive will be the greatest day of my life, but I'm still waiting.

I think you didn't read the post you quoted. In absolutely no context did I mention punishment for death. The person I was replying to (Sula) stated that there should be PvE only servers. Since you seem unclear as to what my post was about, a PvE server would have any player damage nullified. In Sula's preferred server type, it would be impossible to die outside of from zombies or the environment. I was then replying and saying how it was ridiculous (woops, i know you hate certain words like that. Sorry? I guess using that word voids my entire argument now :\ shucks)

I fully support harsh punishments for death. If anything, I push for more harsh penalties for death -- where they make sense and are implementable. Your proposed ideas are cuddle bear ideas that are all aimed about "I don't like that people loot gear and be a threat to me so readily :( I don't like that people can take vehicles and be a threat to me :( I don't like that people can store items in tents and become a quicker threat to me :(" and you want rules to force people to be less of a threat to you. Not me, I want the challenge. Bring me your geared folk and let me fight'em, I don't want the shore line kiddies with crowbars that you want to combat.

This is why I find it ironic that you're claiming to push for a harsher game when you're essentially trying to make the game easier. I agree, stop trying to make the game as easy as CoD and let Rocket have his design. Your ideas are terrible in any of the forms you've shaped/constantly changed them to throughout the entire 4 page thread.

Unlootable bodies - NEVER

Vehicle resets - Suggest 6 hours or server restart.

Tents die when you die - Tents should be destroyed when they are "Destroyed"

Yes, it is really easy to lose all your worked for in this mod. Let's just make it impossible to gain any progress! That will make this game a keeper, fur reeeel

'Doctor, you always pick the lesser of two weevils in the service! Hahahhahahaha.'

Has anyone seen that movie?

That's why I love this forum. A guy makes a thread with a few ideas in the hopes of cultivating a discussion and within a few posts it turns into a personal attack. The whole concept behind a public forum is to discuss ideas.. Which is all the OP was suggesting. You make it sound like he has rocket's ear and is dictating the games direction.

I happen to agree with your assessment to some degree just minus the sarcasm ;)

If you want to read the whole thread, and look at how he avoids questions and takes criticism like a nun takes cock (i.e. not at all), it would be much appreciated.