Damn the as50 thermal, and all thermal guns for that matter. I am completely guilled out with an svd camo and it means nothing. Next time I get a chance to loot a thermal sniper I am taking it 100%. After sneaking up on a guilled out sniper with an as50 thermal on west elektro hill I hide his body and keep my weapons. After moving around a bit to get a good position I start getting fired on from the main sniper hill which by range finder shows me its about 1100 distance away. Near miss and I luckily did not die, however I am sure he is also using thermal since I was covered in camo next to a bush. I love sniping but having thermal completely ruins any stealth aspect in this game. I feel like if you have thermal you are the head of the food chain and anyone else has to hope you are an idiot or spend an hour trying to flank you without detection. Yes I am adding to the fact that this forums is 90% rants.

• Like 1

Yeah love my L85 :) the thermal as50 are hacked right? Its BS to have thermal on the weapon with the longest range. The L85 only has a 300m range, so it is limited.

Thermals are right to be in the game. Hacked AS50s don't mean anything.

Edited by chris p. bacon

thermals are, indeed, overpowered and add nothing to dayz as a game. they're imbalanced and were rightly removed from the game. those that remain are hacked or duped i guess.

i consider the initial inclusion, and then removal, of thermals to be a positive part of playtesting the alpha. your point is well made - they are BS and shouldn't be in the game. the devs agreed and removed them. there's no way we can completely remove them from this mod though, given the limitations of the engine.

if they're put back into the standalone though, along with laser weapons, light sabres, nukes and other imbalancing crap, then i'm out!

thermals are, indeed, overpowered and add nothing to dayz as a game. they're imbalanced and were rightly removed from the game. those that remain are hacked or duped i guess.

i consider the initial inclusion, and then removal, of thermals to be a positive part of playtesting the alpha. your point is well made - they are BS and shouldn't be in the game. the devs agreed and removed them. there's no way we can completely remove them from this mod though, given the limitations of the engine.

if they're put back into the standalone though, along with laser weapons, light sabres, nukes and other imbalancing crap, then i'm out!

The L85 is still in the game with the thermal scope, it's not a hacked weapon.

Although i agree with you that it adds nothing to the game, if it was up to me this gun would be removed from the game ASAP.

I had one before, it's just pointless to use it, takes the fun away completely.

Edited by Fenrig
  • Like 1

if you dislike that every elektro hill no lifer and his mother has an AS50, a ton of ammo for it, a ghillie, nvgs, rangefinder and gps, then try any of the private servers that are well monitored for hacks and bug abuses.

I mean there's nothing wrong with wanting to play main hive servers, but you know what to expect, don't complain about them.

I still play on the main hive every now and then but I've mostly moved on to a private hive.

You win some you lose some, I myself am terrible with thermals get tunnel vision and usually get shot trying to screw around with it. I am however a CQB player and don't spend my hours on a hillside waiting for unarmed survivors to run into town looking for minimal supplies and blast them

• Like 2

You win some you lose some, I myself am terrible with thermals get tunnel vision and usually get shot trying to screw around with it. I am however a CQB player and don't spend my hours on a hillside waiting for unarmed survivors to run into town looking for minimal supplies and blast them

I'm about the same, fuck around like an old duck screwing with it. Nobody in our group actually likes it much, even though we do a lot of night server action. I can see the advantage, obviously, but it just doesn't fit with my approach to the game i suppose.

Edited by Hetstaine

Yeah love my L85 :) the thermal as50 are hacked right? Its BS to have thermal on the weapon with the longest range. The L85 only has a 300m range, so it is limited.

L85 can zero up higher, actually. I think it's up to 800. But you'd have to be silly to try and shoot someone with that at that range.

Damn the as50 thermal, and all thermal guns for that matter. I am completely guilled out with an svd camo and it means nothing. Next time I get a chance to loot a thermal sniper I am taking it 100%. After sneaking up on a guilled out sniper with an as50 thermal on west elektro hill I hide his body and keep my weapons. After moving around a bit to get a good position I start getting fired on from the main sniper hill which by range finder shows me its about 1100 distance away. Near miss and I luckily did not die, however I am sure he is also using thermal since I was covered in camo next to a bush. I love sniping but having thermal completely ruins any stealth aspect in this game. I feel like if you have thermal you are the head of the food chain and anyone else has to hope you are an idiot or spend an hour trying to flank you without detection. Yes I am adding to the fact that this forums is 90% rants.

We all rant it's alright, find a legit one though the AS50 TWS is cheap. Sniping without any honor makes the person a griefer.

Yeah but keep in mind, not everybody has a thermal sniper!

The best way to counter it is to just look for one.

Sniping without any honor makes the person a griefer.

Since when has sniping ever been honourable?

AS50 TWS... i hate it, not fun in the slightest but the LA85 AWS however... my best friend. since i usually lead 2 or 3 assault groups it's good for me to keep and eye on them from a distance and spot targets, easier for me to flush out snipers trying to target them.

It's a good way to keep the balance against such snipers as yourself, though meant to be super rare so only a few people would have the upper hand.

i like it for spotting and combat from 200-400 meters. Plus it's a great side weapon for the DMR.

Thermals are right to be in the game. Hacked AS50s don't mean anything.

hacked AS50's mean garbage players like you will hack and abuse them until standalone, when you will promptly get your buttholes flexed by skilled survivors with Winchesters.

Good day to you, scrub.

• Like 1

A sniper isn't just for killing whomever they see wander by. Much of the time their role is for surveillance and intelligence gathering, and as overwatch for other people. Say for instance you and several friends wanted to go raid a place. One of you has a sniper rifle, so you post up in a spot that overlooks the target area. As the other members hoof it down to loot, you see a guy trying to shoot them through the doors from the opposite corner of the building.

Is it not honorable to fulfil your role as overwatch and protect your friends?

Unless you think sniping isn't fair to the people on the ground with medium range weapons... then I agree. It isn't fair. There is a reason that a good sniper team can lock down an area for 1km in every direction, because they can be one of the most effective assets in the field. That doesn't mean it cannot be honorable.

It's all about target discrimination, in my opinion.

Since people started developing the skills to snipe, hitting a moving target at 600m and to kill with the one shot takes a hell of alot of practice to pull off.

Snipers have always had and always will have a key role in the battlefield, be it recon or taking out high priority targets... I always have one of my clan snipers on with me when im playing

• Like 1

A sniper isn't just for killing whomever they see wander by. Much of the time their role is for surveillance and intelligence gathering, and as overwatch for other people. Say for instance you and several friends wanted to go raid a place. One of you has a sniper rifle, so you post up in a spot that overlooks the target area. As the other members hoof it down to loot, you see a guy trying to shoot them through the doors from the opposite corner of the building.

Is it not honorable to fulfil your role as overwatch and protect your friends?

Unless you think sniping isn't fair to the people on the ground with medium range weapons... then I agree. It isn't fair. There is a reason that a good sniper team can lock down an area for 1km in every direction, because they can be one of the most effective assets in the field. That doesn't mean it cannot be honorable.

It's all about target discrimination, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, its a perfectly valid and most importantly intelligent tactic, and i agree with your reasons you have stated, and Derpys. But as with any form of killing people calling it honourable is kind of a grey area.Plus a lot of DayZ players aren't ex-army ARMA fans. I tend to view these players as less skilled recon and more like rednecks with scopes taking potshots at livestock.

The more I think about it the more I dislike thermals in game.

I think I'd only support thermal if it was similar to the way binoculars work.

The more I think about it the more I dislike thermals in game.

I think I'd only support thermal if it was similar to the way binoculars work.

Sort of like the laser marker?

Don't get me wrong, its a perfectly valid and most importantly intelligent tactic, and i agree with your reasons you have stated, and Derpys. But as with any form of killing people calling it honourable is kind of a grey area.Plus a lot of DayZ players aren't ex-army ARMA fans. I tend to view these players as less skilled recon and more like rednecks with scopes taking potshots at livestock.

What I meant was at least play legit, newb sniping is what bored people with no imagination do. Got into an awesome helicopter battle in fallujah today and took down a helicopter and two of its occupants, third guy managed to hit the driver with a DMR from the ground, that was a skilled shot that ended up killing both of us. I would call that an awesome kill made possible by a skilled sniper.

Sort of like the laser marker?

More or less, using it as a scouting tool only, having it attached to a weapon seems lame to me.

More or less, using it as a scouting tool only, having it attached to a weapon seems lame to me.

I agree.