mr_seacucumber

DayZ Breaking Point Mod : Now with new Lingor Map Integration!

Hello Venthos and random friend of Venthros with 3 posts.

If you would like to copyright 5 lines of code in Arma 2 Scripting your welcome to. You remind me of the person who tried to setup a lawsuit on tunggle over an arma 2 mission file. You're simply calling functions in Arma 2 with little or no coding at all. The people who are developing Hive DB dlls and extensions are writing the real code.

I didn't know you had such a problem with the open source community sharing factor of arma 2. If you'd like im fine removing your 5-10 lines of code.

Thanks to you both for writing up such a long post, but honestly I don't have time for this. I have several other game dev projects to do.

Meh, they are probably just mad that they can't or are too lazy to make a launcher. It's a much better way to go that having to change the launch option in steam.

If you'd like im fine removing your 5-10 lines of code.

Yes. I accept your offer. Please do remove all code in which you lifted from DayZ Redux. Surely when it's just 5-10 lines of code you can be bothered to take the 10 seconds to write your own code instead of copy/pasting mine. Then we're all happy.

I appreciate your swift and simple solution. Thanks! Please let me know when you've done this.

Also, I don't see any threats of legality or copyright. It's simply that if you can't be bothered to ask for permission and show a bit of courtesy, you can instead be bothered to write your own code. It's as simple as that. Asking first has such wondrous results versus outright copy/pasting code from others.

Alby, the person you lifted all the dog fixes from, is none too happy about your behavior either. In the future, you might not want to be a dick about what you're doing. You an summarily avoid such situations like this in the future by showing a small amount of courtesy up front. I assure you it has impressive results.

Actually the Dog Fixes are from the DayZ Community 1.7.4.4 or whatever version number their up to now.

Actually I didn't even know about Alby's dog fixes at all.

Edited by Deathlyrage

Just relaying what I heard from Alby when your mod came up in discussion when I found out about all this myself. You'll have to take it up with him if you have questions, as I won't attempt to speak on his behalf.

Regardless, I would appreciate you following through with your offer to me about removing all DayZ Redux code from your mod. That'll settle up things between us as far as I am concerned.

Actually the Dog Fixes are from the DayZ Community 1.7.4.4 or whatever version number their up to now.

No they are not, infact we removed them from the code until a future patch and here is the proof: https://github.com/R4Z0R49/DayZMod/commit/9ccfc32740eb3b7bb43f0c0cd77dd1b20bf1c321

and it even states that we removed them 2 weeks ago, so you cant have possibly got them unless you were lifting code straight from the Official Github Repo and that just takes things that little bit further...

so i ask on Albys behalf that you remove the dog code from Breaking Point....

P.S Venthos, why did you just drop off skype out of nowhere :(

Actually I didn't even know about Alby's dog fixes at all.

The Dog "Fixes" or Dog implemetiaion in general was never released. All who are uisng my implementaion/adaptation of Dogs, which is everyone currently using Dogs as far as I know, has taken the code from the once public github and used without permission. The public github was never meant for people to take code from to use in private hive mods. It was meant so that people could assist Rocket in making the official mod. Unfortunatly now that people have been taking the unreleased code and using for their own selfish purposes the official github has become private and the public will only be update with official released code.

The dog code Breaking Point is using is the first implemtation of dogs that I made and put on github for testing purposes, and as such it was, for lack of a better word, stolen. It has major bugs such as allowing any player who has a dog enter a 'commander' view of their surroundings. Which is a birds-eye-view of the current area around the player; it is incredibly game breaking. Since then, I have fixed the bugs and added more functionality to Dogs but I am yet to release the code even to github as I do not wish to see it stolen again prior to official release. Even if you dont want to remove the code I advise that you do before someone finds out how to enter the birds-eye-view mode.

Venthos, why don't you go work on your own mod instead of complaining about other people's mods. Any of the little code that was used is nothing to be angry about, unless you're just here because you see this mod as a threat to your already dying mod? Since when was it that using code that is out there on the internet such a bad thing? Any of the code that was used can be easily rewritten. Is it that you need a thank you for whatever little code you have done, are you really that narcissistic? Go bother someone else with your petty complaints instead of singling out this new mod. And one last thing, the developer(s) of this mod are far more involved & work a lot harder then whatever you have going at DayZ Redux, you make it sound like all your code was taken when in fact, only a small amount was. The developer(s) doesn't need your 5-10 lines of code, whatever lines of code that you did write will be removed & improved and isn't needed since this mod has far more potential than DayZ Redux. **DayZ Breaking Point ----> DayZ Redux**

P.S. you morons don't even have an updater. ;)

Edited by DayZBandit

Venthos, why don't you go work on your own mod instead of complaining about other people's mods. Any of the little code that was used is nothing to be angry about

That is your opinion, to which you are certainly entitled to - as is Venthos and Alby.

The developer(s) doesn't need your 5-10 lines of code, whatever lines of code that you did write will be removed & improved and isn't needed

Fantastic, end of discussion - since its so easy to code in your opinion, perhaps the people you are defending should have done it in the first place instead of ripping from various sources to duct tape together something without the extremely simple courtesy of asking those that, again, in your opinion, wasted their time creating it.

Maybe the developer(s) had little time to spend on the mod and had other projects to work on and there wasn't any reason to write new code when it was already there, on the internet? Did you ever think about that? Not everyone has all the time in the world to write dozens of lines of code. You people know nothing about the developer(s) available time to spend on the mod. And excuse me? Is it courteous to rubbish someone's mod? Claiming that they stole dozens of lines of code from Redux which is simply not true. Some code was used, not "entire chunks of code". You Redux people are starting to piss me off, the developer(s) spend their time writing NEW CODE, not code that is already available. Any of the code used will be improved on anyway. Go work on your mod instead of bitching at us about a few lines of code which is nothing, setting tents on fire is cool and all but it ain't anything big or game changing.

Edited by DayZBandit

You Redux people are starting to piss me off, the developer(s) spend their time writing NEW CODE, not code that is already available.

And now you are beginning to feel exactly as we do.

Setting tents on fire is cool and all but it ain't anything big or game changing.

Cool, then there shouldn't be an issue in removing the code.

They will remove it. They even have the updater which will make it even easier you know. It's not like their mod needs that code anyways. It is there simply because it was on the internet you know. If it is on the internet then you can just take it you know. We have developers which have a life you know, they can't code all day.

This is ridiculous.

Im sick of hearing the "Im too busy to work on the mod" excuse for stealing code. The simple fact is that all we ask for is recognition for what we do. It may just be small segments of code but they slowly add up into multiple features or fixes. If you are too busy to work on a mod then why do it at all? If you really want to work on a mod then why not simply ask permission first? We dont bite. Obviously you know where to contact some of us as you take code that is only released on our own sites. Even if you cant contact us simply put credit on the changelog and opening post so that people know where the code actually originates. This is only common courtesy and is actually taught in schools world wide. If you are unable to accomplish such an easy task then maybe you need to rethink your current situation in life and question why you cannot give credit where it is due.

And personally, Im not scared of Breaking Point as a competeing mod. If people want to play there then go ahead. But I feel that they should know what the developers really do behind closed doors and where all the cool new features acctually come from. We are a community after all, why dont we start acting like one and stop spreading the lies.

Edit:

It is there simply because it was on the internet you know. If it is on the internet then you can just take it you know.

Really? You believe that everything on the internet is copyright free and can be taken by anyone without any permission? Son, I dont know what world your from but its not this one.

Edited by AlbyDev

If you release code on a public accessable hub and are so deeply concerned about your precious work, you should include a remark in every of your codefiles:

*** ATTENTION ***

This code is written and owned by me.

If you want to take and use any of this line of code, you have to beg for permission first!

If you dont, i will come to your thread with my similar minded friends, start a public flame war and deride your mod.

But this also was your way of going, when you discovered code from you in the dayz community project, right venthos?

I am a bit curious how (I'm guessing, I haven't looked at the code yet) large chunks of Redux make it into DayZ Mod without me even being contacted or asked to help. The patch notes are even word-for-word the same as the ones I wrote for Redux for the redux-specific things. Half of those patch notes were basically written by me. I would've been happy to help out with something like this for DayZ Mod. I'm guessing the combat system is from Redux as well (in which case, you guys may have a bad time with it.

But i could not said it better than rocket himself:

If you guys want to argue about who wrote or did what, then really the whole point of the community update system is just not going to work at all. That is why we made an open repository to try and say that nobody owns the code to try and stop such arguments.

This is your guys system, you guys wanted an "open source" approach. If it is going to end up full of politics then I will wash my hands of it very quickly.

Personally i agree with this person:

Venthos, the code was submitted to them anonymously. While I grant you that this collaboration was not advertised to the extent it should have been, your only recourse at this point is to PM or email RAZ0R directly. You now have two full-bodied posts attested to your code being included. Just contact the project lead directly instead of soap-boxing.

It is starting to feel more like you want some kind of public recognition for your contribution (in addition to having your concerns over the combat code addressed).

Its not the fact that you guys ask for recognition which is perfectly justified, its the way how you do it.

Contact Deathlyrage or james personally and ask politely for them to give you credit, and thats it.

If you would care more about bringing a better dayz expierience to the people and not get personal satisfaction, you would have offered your help to make Breaking Point an even more awesome mod.

And maybe the devs had helped you, adding their updater for your mod.

Instead you waste time with discussion and insist that the code has to be removed...

If rocket would have the same attitude as you, he would be too busy sueing the TheWarz makers rather than working on the standalone.

Edited by qsek

But this also was your way of going, when you discovered code from you in the dayz community project, right venthos?

Great job compiling quotes completely out of context, from a conversation you had no involvement in - the authorship situation was immediately resolved and we have all been credited with our active and ongoing contributions. We absolutely love helping the community grow, that is the only reason we care or work on it in the first place.

Its not the fact that you guys ask for recognition which is perfectly justified, its the way how you do it.

Contact Deathlyrage or james personally and ask politely for them to give you credit, and thats it.

I'm not quite sure you understand how permission works exactly. By your logic WE are the impolite ones for noticing, or caring for that matter.

Edited by Alexander.

If you would care more about bringing a better dayz expierience to the people and not get personal satisfaction, you would have offered your help to make Breaking Point an even more awesome mod.

And maybe the devs had helped you, adding their updater for your mod.

Instead you waste time with discussion and insist that the code has to be removed...

If rocket would have the same attitude as you, he would be too busy sueing the TheWarz makers rather than working on the standalone.

Indeed, if you had a problem with them using parts of your code you should have just sent them a PM to ask them about it but instead you came here acting like douche bags. You gentlemen need to take a step back and grow up a bit.

You claim to be upset because they didn't ask or give you credit for your work.

In the future, you might not want to be a dick about what you're doing. You an summarily avoid such situations like this in the future by showing a small amount of courtesy up front. I assure you it has impressive results.

You should really follow your own advice.

I hope you can understand the sheer irony that your stance is "why didn't you just contact them personally and ask?" when that is quite literally my entire point and stance about Deathlyrage and James. They didn't take the common courtesy to ask me, yet somehow in your warped logic I am required to instead be courteous to them and not publicly expose their code theft when they otherwise have basically thumbed their nose at me by lifting my code?

Amusing double-standard, sir.

EDIT: Ahaha and here comes in Max with the same skewed double-standard. Nice job.

Edited by Venthos

Ah, I see that you are just going to act like a butt hurt child that thinks they are right about everything. Was it right for them to use your code without asking or giving credit? No, they should have done those things. But you are using the same double standard you are complaining about. If you have a problem you should have asked them politely first, in private. If you don't get a satisfactory response then you can bring it to the public. By doing what you did you just come off as whiny little children but I don't expect you to understand that or agree. You are to full of your righteous indignation so carry on as you will.

Really? You believe that everything on the internet is copyright free and can be taken by anyone without any permission? Son, I dont know what world your from but its not this one.

My post was supposed to be sarcastic.

This really doesn't need to go on any further, Deathlyrage has probably already removed the code or is doing it when he has time. So please, leave us alone. You will not get recognition for something you made him remove. Did you ever think that maybe the developers didn't get the chance to put up a list of thank you's for code? That maybe they were working on other things and were going to put recognition when they had the chance to? This is a forum post not the DayZ Breaking Point Website (WIP) so if there was going to be any recognition it would have been on there, you people are so quick to judge and attack developers you know nothing about, they never once *stole your code* they simply used it as it was there to be used. If you really want the code to yourselves, say it. We don't need a flame war & we don't want a flame war. This is a case of Venthos being upset about something that he shouldn't be, he should have talked directly to Deathlyrage and James in the first place instead of making his offensive forum post. Please grow up and calm down.

Edited by DayZBandit

Wondering if you could help, i put the launcher in the operation arrowhead folder but it says it cant find the arma2oa.exe. What am i doing wrong? :) Thanks

Wondering if you could help, i put the launcher in the operation arrowhead folder but it says it cant find the arma2oa.exe. What am i doing wrong? :) Thanks

Sure,

Where have you got steam/arrowhead installed to?

Usually the updater auto detects your arrowhead folder using a registry key, If you have recently reinstalled your operating system / copied over your steam folder then this won't exist.

Try exiting steam, running steam as an administrator then launching Arma 2 and then Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead. The updater should be able to find your folder then.

If this doesn't work then try deleting your @BreakingPoint\options.dat and it will reset the launcher configuration.

Else you can send me a PM on the forums and I can give you my steam name or you can join our teamspeak and Ill help you out.