CountVonJimmy

Barbed Wire Rage Thread

Thought I'd start up a barbed wire rage thread where people can vent their collective frustration.

For me it's gotten to the point where 80% of buildings I go to explore have barbed wire in front of them. Here are two stories from this morning alone.

After crawling through all of Elektro I managed to find a cafe that wasn't barb wired and had some really good supplies, ammo, a Makarov annnnnd two Gillies! was feeling on top of the world as this was the first building I'd been able to explore due to the proliferation of tank traps and barbed wire. So. Make my way down the road to the church and see an AKM inside, tried to vault it, my survivor spazzed out threw himself forward on the barbed wire and probably died in agony, I don't know I was too busy dying on the inside myself.

Second story. I spawn Balota, and immediately head towards the army base, two zeds on very inside, crawl to the airfield to hopefully scout a weapon to take them out and get into that base! Long story short everything is barb wired, including the ladder... "Fuck" So. I head down to the beach again and come upon a warehouse, "GREAT ODIN'S BEARD!!!"...there is a toolbox in the warehouse...problem? It's barb wired of course..sigh... By this point I've been playing for just over half an hour and have not happened upon a single building I can enter due to barbed wire and tank traps. Abort mission. sign up to forums, make this thread.

Here's what I want to say. Your game is no longer a game, it (like my ex-girlfriend) is flashy looking and has plenty of potential but makes the major mistake of wasting my precious fucking time. It probably slept with my brother too. Fuck you guys laying the wire, fuck you developers for not catering to demand for more accessible toolboxes or better yet scrapping that shit altogether. Switch on and fix this problem now, otherwise your standalone can go fuck itself come purchasing time. Regards, every player, for ever and ever.

• Like 2

I never have issues with barbed wire, you can usually jump around it.

Toolboxes are pretty common too.

Well once you get a toolbox and have a cool head on where you go, it really doesn't have to be such a fustration fest.

I can't get a toolbox, everywhere Is barb wired. Lol...That's my point..Why should I spend the better part of my day looking for a toolbox which has defences set up around it anyway? Now apparently you can't rage at developers, but meh, if they feel a modicum of frustration at my language, then they are only feeling how I feel towards the game. Sometimes you need to shout to be heard, your parents lied.

Edited by CountVonJimmy
  • Like 2

I can't get a toolbox, everywhere Is barb wired. Lol...That's my point..Why should I spend the better part of my day looking for a toolbox which has defences set up around it anyway? Now apparently you can't rage at developers, but meh, if they feel a modicum of frustration at my language, then they are only feeling how I feel towards the game. Sometimes you need to shout to be heard, your parents lied.

Just join a different server.

• Like 1

Everywhere?

It sounds like you stayed on the coast both times. No surprise it's all barbwired shut. Did you consider going north to any of the other major towns, farms, industrial and construction sites, or the NE and NW airfields? You went to two of the most trafficked areas and couldn't get anything so you gave up in frustration? The map is enormous, leave the coast. If that sounds like too much work then find a different server, get a toolbox, and then go back if you really want to.

Everywhere?

It sounds like you stayed on the coast both times. No surprise it's all barbwired shut. Did you consider going north to any of the other major towns, farms, industrial and construction sites, or the NE and NW airfields? You went to two of the most trafficked areas and couldn't get anything so you gave up in frustration? The map is enormous, leave the coast. If that sounds like too much work then find a different server, get a toolbox, and then go back if you really want to.

Sound advice. But it goes against the continued growth of this game in my humble opinion. New players start on the coast, gear up and then head inland. Your working on the proviso that every player is like you or I and has the necessary skill and in-game know how to head inland and 'make it'. I'd venture that most new players quit because of frustration towards game mechanics and the steep learning curve. Barbed wire on the very first local shop you come across adds to that frustration, barbed wire on every building in town adds yet more fuel to the fire, new players leave the game wondering why they spent $30 to see a pixel representation of fencing blocking every chance of fun. :(

Edited by CountVonJimmy
  • Like 1

What I don't understand is why, even after he has admitted himself that barbed wire was an experiment which didnt really pan out, that Rocket won't simply remove it from the game. Jesus, this is not "rocket science", just take the shit out already and be done with it...

• Like 1

i make smiley faces in buildings out of barb wire

Good god your username is tasty..Anyway, I think you should boycott barbed wire because, because. Any questions? No. Motion passed.

• Like 2

Sound advice. But it goes against the continued growth of this game in my humble opinion. New players start on the coast, gear up and then head inland. Your working on the proviso that every player is like you or I and has the necessary skill and in-game know how to head inland and 'make it'. I'd venture that most new players quit because of frustration towards game mechanics and the steep learning curve. Barbed wire on the very first local shop you come across adds to that frustration, barbed wire on every building in town adds yet more fuel to the fire, new players leave the game wondering why they spent $30 to see a pixel representation of fencing blocking every chance of fun. :(

But you don't need to gear up on the coast. That isn't required. Nothing in the game forces people to go to those cities in search of gear. The game only asks players to solve their own problems and doesn't hold their hand through it. If it's not barbwire and tanktraps in Elektro and Cherno then it's going to be players with better gear sniping them again and again. Should we ask for those cities to become pvp-free zones? (no)

The easiest solution to your problem is to turn north and start running. You'll find everything there that you'll find on the coast but you'll find it without having to deal with almost guaranteed as50 snipers and gobs of barbwire. This is what I did before I ever found a map and had more fun doing that than dealing with shoot on sight tards that think the game is meant to be one endless deathmatch.

Leaving the coast is as easy as following a road that leaves the coast. If that's too hard for people then maybe they shouldn't be playing this game?

What I don't understand is why, even after he has admitted himself that barbed wire was an experiment which didnt really pan out, that Rocket won't simply remove it from the game. Jesus, this is not "rocket science", just take the shit out already and be done with it...

It's working as intended. We were given a tool and people are using it. It's just how some are using it that is causing all the qq'ing. If it could keep out zombies, awesome. Right now, it's keeping the biggest threat away and that seems to be good enough in my book. I don't hang around Elektro and Cherno and have no desire to endlessly play capture sniper hill so maybe I don't see the problem the way you guys do.

It might help if we could actually permanently remove barbwire. It seems like it reappears after each restart no matter who removes it.

It might help if we could actually permanently remove barbwire. It seems like it reappears after each restart no matter who removes it.

I can't in good faith agree with all that you've said, but hear hear on the above quotation.

I'd love for you to write a manual for the game: ' New players are advised to face north and start running.'

Classic.

If it's not barbwire and tanktraps in Elektro and Cherno then it's going to be players with better gear sniping them again and again. Should we ask for those cities to become pvp-free zones? (no)

I've read many of your posts on this forum over the previous months and I have a lot of respect for you from them, but this? Come on, I know you are better than that. Pissing about the barbed wire in the game does not equal asking for PVP free zones and you know it. That was way below your usual caliber of post.

You said in your post lower in the thread that barbed wire is working as intended. Intended by whom? Rocket himself has said in several interviews that barbed wire was an experiment that did not turn out well. In fact he mentioned barbed wire specifically when he explained why he decided to take bases underground in the standalone (specifically that the building mechanics he had tried was mostly being used for greifing as it is now).

I'm curious why you seem to be defending the wire in spite of Rocket's own misgivings about it. North south east west, there is nowhere you wont find it, it's less prevalent but I've found wire in front of just about every deerstand at one time or another. Surely you have noticed this.....

You are right that it is not entirely game breaking, but in terms of mechanics it definitely needs to be re-evaluated in it's current implementation.

• Like 1

I can't in good faith agree with all that you've said, but hear hear on the above quotation.

I'd love for you to write a manual for the game: ' New players are advised to face north and start running.'

Classic.

It'll go something like this.

1. Install game

2. Print out any large map found by googling "Chernarus map"

3. Log into game. Watch the right hand corner of the screen. Note the location of your spawn.

4. Find your location on your printed out map. Take your time. You're going to die.

5. Press the number pad enter key. This will help you get through doors without breaking your leg.

6. Pick a town north of you.

7. Go there.

8. Repeat as often as necessary.

Chapter two would cover how to google "DayZ wiki" and "DayZdb.com".

Chapter three would cover locations worth travelling to that are not filled with mindless deathmatch players that would kill themselves again and again if given the chance just so they could spawn at Elektro, server performance be damned.

The Ipod/Iphone/tablet version of the manual would be much shorter.

Adds bodily functions to 1.7.4 patch...

w8xcgm.jpg

..barb wire still functional.

• Like 5

My Mission

I always dismantle barbed wire whenever I come accross it. The same goes for tank traps.

The use of Barbed Wire and Tank Traps

Were it a real combat scenario with plenty of players defending a certain point, it might serve a purpose, slowing the enemy down, allowing defenders to find and him and put fire upon him.

In this game, both barbed wire and tank traps are mostly around undefended points, and thus they serve no real purpose.

Mostly they are useless and provide no actual use in DayZ, except to annoy. A barbed up house means go to another house. Nothing else. A tank trap in the road means find a way around. Nothing else. If it was used tactically, and for real combat purposes, I'd be for barbed wire. However, as the game fares now, I think both barbed wire and tank traps are useless in this in DayZ.

• Like 1

I've read many of your posts on this forum over the previous months and I have a lot of respect for you from them, but this? Come on, I know you are better than that. Pissing about the barbed wire in the game does not equal asking for PVP free zones and you know it. That was way below your usual caliber of post.

You said in your post lower in the thread that barbed wire is working as intended. Intended by whom? Rocket himself has said in several interviews that barbed wire was an experiment that did not turn out well. In fact he mentioned barbed wire specifically when he explained why he decided to take bases underground in the standalone (specifically that the building mechanics he had tried was mostly being used for greifing as it is now).

I'm curious why you seem to be defending the wire in spite of Rocket's own misgivings about it. North south east west, there is nowhere you wont find it, it's less prevalent but I've found wire in front of just about every deerstand at one time or another. Surely you have noticed this.....

You are right that it is not entirely game breaking, but in terms of mechanics it definitely needs to be re-evaluated in it's current implementation.

Definitely. I think the tone in my original message came from what I perceived as a knee jerk reaction to a problem that stems from dupers and hackers.

Barbwire is by design, in real world and in game, to keep people out of or away from areas. It's certainly doing that is it not? It didn't turn out well because we have morons that think its funny to grief new spawns. There's no denying that. I just use it differently. I use it to funnel vehicles and people into kill zones around my home turf (which isn't near Elektro, Cherno, or spawns). I use it secure my vehicle against players without a toolbox.

Can barbwire be used as a griefing tool? Yes, and so can anything that can be created or placed by a player will be used to annoy others but they can also be used for intelligent purposes too. Knowing that, I still want more ways to impact the game world. I don't think we should climb under a rock because some kiddies want to abuse the game mechanics. Those guys aren't going to stick around anyway and the game will evolve into something more interesting than endless deathmatches on the coast.

Everyone seems to want things removed but rarely do they ever offer solutions to problems. I think the best solution is to let players vault wire but suffer bleeding damage when they do. It'll still serve to ward off the weary but it wouldn't prevent people from getting into buildings. There are better solutions than getting rid of it completely. Hell, make constructed items a server setting.

Besides, we know exactly who's bringing in tons of barbwire and tank traps to the coast and it's not legit players. It's the dupers and hackers.

For the record, I usually stand against the removal of NV (even though it hurts legit players on night servers), thermal, one hit kill sniper rifles, and most of the most annoying things in game because I know these items are duped, farmed, or hacked and the rarity has been ruined. Plug these holes and these problems will diminish. Even a complete hive wipe sounds good to me at this point.

• Like 1

Since there's already an official poll thread on the forums from DayZ staff about removing barbed wire from the game, I don't feel too awkward posting this here. But, you can easily prevent barbed wire from being placed on your server with the following createvehicle.txt restriction:

5 "Wire_cat1"

Anytime a player goes to deploy barbed wire, they'll instead be kicked. They can then just immediately rejoin if they want. This obviously doesn't help with previously deployed wire fencing, but will prevent new deployments.

It'd be one thing if people had to actually farm the fencing they deploy. But, with the vehicle inventory/tent duping problem people can fill tents with wire and just coat entire buildings in wire.

This annoys me as well. Not so much the barbed wire, I'll just move on but the mentality of the smacktard that placed it there. That's what annoys me that I'm actually sharing my server with a moronic subspecies of the human race that in all honesty I think should be exterminated.

I would have ZERO problem with barbed wire if it didn't automatically regenerate with every server restart. The result of this is eventual barbed wire inflation since placed wire never disappears and new wire drops spawn with every restart. It's now to the point that you can't loot anything in Cherno without a toolbox and it takes you 10 minutes to get into a building which has triplicate barbed wire in front of its doors.

If I could go on a removal rampage and take it ALL down and know that it was gone for good, that would be fine, because then any time I came across it, I could take it down. How many wire spawns are in Cherno at any given time? Maybe 6-10, so on any given server restart, the average troll is only going to be able to effectively wire up 2-3 buildings, depending on size and number of entrances. That's no big deal because it's managable to undo; but when wire reappears on the next restart after it's been removed, eventually the troll wiring up 2-3 buildings per restart has choked the entire city and has effectively done so FOREVER.

Yet again, this is another mechanic where the trolls have the upper hand based on game design, just like shooting on sight and scripting. One guy finding an infinitely respawning resource (wire kits) can place a kit and have it last forever NO MATTER WHAT I DO. If I could spend a little time and combat it, then that's fine, but since I can't, the troll ALWAYS wins, and creating game mechanics that allow trolls to win no matter what legitimate players do is lame.

Please, please, make barbed wire disappear when removed. For good. Then I won't ever complain about it again.