wynarator

Reward Explorers!

Some of us like to hike in the woods, go to totally abandoned places, walk slow-pace for 30 minutes while enjoying the sunny day, the others stick to the coast ("CUZ U CAN FIND ANYTHING U NEED IN CHERNO MAN") and run around elektro with guns blazing.

There should be something that rewards/ecourages exploring.

What? There are lot interesting places that take time and effort to get to, but gives no reward.

FEW simple examples: barn at pobeda dam, barn north of Skalka, Skalisty Island (dont want to giveaway awesome places, discover them by yourself).

There should be a little bit sweeter loot there, something rare, that will make you hapy that you took your time to discover the map and so on. It's very disappointing to find only tin cans in a place that looked like "THIS IS IT".

+2

I do this too lol. Set myself to walk and head off through the woods, compass and map in hand. It's disappointing to find a nice spot and nothing there.

Also....

GIVE US A DAMN AUTO WALK BUTTON!

Sick of jamming cardboard into the keyboard...

Thing is, if you make these places provide good loot, they won't be so rare any more because instead of people just stumbling on them people will know where they are and go there specifically looking for rare loot.

I play the same way so I find it interesting. However, the problem would be the comments on web pages and forums, spoiling the surprises saying this or that place has certain object.

Maybe might be interesting that the quality of the loot were directly proportional to the time elapsed since the last visit of another player (or even elapsed time since someone take an object, not just paying a visit). It would be consistent with reality as well, where most visited places -like major cities- have been plundered and almost empty. Maybe changing the current dynamics and forcing everyone to move to less visited areas to find things.

Give them random loot spawns. Give the whole world random loot spawns. As it stands there is little reason to explore anywhere. Go into town and you look for the same thing every time: church, grocery store, gas station and the one or two styles of house you can enter. Over and over and over. Sometimes you're in a place where there is a barn, or a warehouse. But mostly you know that crawling through yards and alongside rusted out heaps won't yield you anything whatsoever. It's contrary to real life, where utility is all around us.

Why would there not be a gun or bit of steel pipe (for when they implement melee) randomly lying somewhere? Or a pack of cigarettes lying in the street (for when they implement smoking to calm nerves or enjoy a nice view from a ridge in the forest)? Or a backyard table with cans of soda or food on it? Or a book that tells us how to properly field dress an animal, giving us an extra steak (for when they implement reading)? Or any of the billion other things we would find in the world.

Make loot spawns random, and put them all over. Give us a reason to hit that small shack in the middle of the woods, versus the hospital in Cherno, and a reason to walk through the other 80% of a town's buildings.

@Marshy, which would add even more drama!

First thing when I spawn I go to balota, because I'm poory equipped and it's close, so I don't care if I die.

But if you will go all the way up to i.e. Pobeda Dam you'll get some nice equipement on the way and it will take a lot of time to get ther, so it will give some extra tension when you'll be approaching place that should be abandoned, but you don't really know for sure, and the reward's tempting. Right now there are only two rewarding places: Balota and NWA, which are big, populated and boring places to be.

Put a hospital in Zeleno and make it's Church work. That'll drive some peeps away from Cherno and Elektro.

And maybe up the rate of spawning of good loot in deer stands, I haven't seen a single gun in one, and i've visited like ten now.

I gotta tell you, though, the view itself is enough reward for me.

AzoF.jpg

Pobeda Dam? haha! If you're there, just keep going north, you're 3/4 the way to lots of sweet sweet loot.

And helicopters.

And Guns. Ammo.. mmm.. ammo...

Seriously, clans pitch their tents up for you explorers to just find 'em and loot 'em. I found one not far from Sobor, the guy still doesn't realise it's being skimmed ;)

Hey man, *you* jamming carboard into your keyboard is a scatload less effort than it requires for any coder of this mod to implement an autorun. THINK OF THE CHILDREN. Uh, coders.

In any case, if you've got a G15 keyboard just make a macro for it. Pretty simple. Less effort than popping a pimple.

Also....

This ^

Cheers for the tip, mate. I was using the upside-down-lighter-under-the-keyboard-trick.

Want to get epic loot while exploring WITHOUT NWAF?

Heres how ya do it.

Wander around areas YOU would try and hide tents filled with goodies from other players. Theres a fair chance that, on a popular sever, youll find something. It may take time, but in the end its worth it. Ive found all sorts of goodies, NVG, FN FAL, Gernades, 1911 ammo for days, and beans for a year.

@ Sarcasmo

"Give them random loot spawns. Give the whole world random loot spawns. As it stands there is little reason to explore anywhere. Go into town and you look for the same thing every time: church, grocery store, gas station and the one or two styles of house you can enter. Over and over and over. Sometimes you're in a place where there is a barn, or a warehouse. But mostly you know that crawling through yards and alongside rusted out heaps won't yield you anything whatsoever. It's contrary to real life, where utility is all around us."

Dynamism is (IMHO) the key to DayZ's longterm success. I say go you dynamic wonder! go! go!

EDIT:

____

This is a great post by Swi1ch on dynamic Z spawning: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3420

Thing is' date=' if you make these places provide good loot, they won't be so rare any more because instead of people just stumbling on them people will know where they are and go there specifically looking for rare loot.

[/quote']

Yeah this is true, but it is a good idea, i'm one of those people that like to just walk to places, looking at the scenery and getting immersed in the game.

This would work really well with another suggestion i saw a while ago, Zombie and Loot Migration.

Meaning that at some times a city might be crawling with zeds and contain good loot while at other times it's completely empty and there's little to no loot there.