F-ashbang

How many registered users are stil active?

No, probably a public Git or something would be best.

There are some issues, as I paid for some licensed source material. But the dayz_code file could be easily recompiled by anyone actually with existing tools and data. What we need is a team to volunteer - as I am totally overworked due to the problems with our colleagues being detained in Greece and just pushing on with standalone.

rocket, what means of communication are available to us to get in touch with you in regards to volunteering and helping out with the work load? last evening i sent matt lightfoot a pm requesting he forward you my message which is in response to our invitation to you to have a chat with our staff at PCGN.

i'm sure others would be interested to know what channles of communication there are as well. this forum is quite convuluted, as you know!

Once the game goes stand alone, and the issues are fixed and new content has been added and people start posting up YT video's again and start playing it, why wouldn't people want to play this game again.

Are you people seriously saying that you have the inability to like a game that you once played because a few problems arose, which were addressed and fixed and then released as a full stand alone game?

Are you also saying that this mod, which has been developed for free so far, has given you no enjoyment and for having no input in the game other than to a) play it and b ) bitch about it that it's beyond your potential to play it again.

There's a fix for the hacking - it's on most forum posts now - join a private server

And I'll just point out that we, i.e. the people that run and admin these servers, also do this for free so let's drop the self-entitled attitude to have everything your way and grow the fuck up and support a game that you've never seen the likes of before and be happy that you were even able to enjoy it. You'll be talking about this game in years to come "Remember that guy we...." so don't ruin it for yourselves before it's even finished.

Now go and relax and have a nice cup of tea :)

Edited by Jex =TE=
  • Like 2

Very good point, Rocket.

Is there a mechanism in plalce currently for this?

No, probably a public Git or something would be best.

There are some issues, as I paid for some licensed source material. But the dayz_code file could be easily recompiled by anyone actually with existing tools and data. What we need is a team to volunteer

Why not post a call for help?

There are clearly people in the community with the necessary skills who would love to help. Even without the source in a public repository I'm sure you could get volunteers to start going through the public bug tracker doing triage. Obviously getting good information on bugs is the first step towards fixing them and that information is exceedingly rare on these forums and pretty hard to find on the tracker with all of the duplicates and junk it currently contains.

Setting up some infrastructure would require a little time up front but I think giving people a way to contribute would get you a lot of goodwill from the people who care most about the mod. The ones who have been frustrated by the apparent lack of progress over the past couple of months. Providing the private hives a way to contribute fixes upstream would also improve the mod for everyone as they have clearly been able to fix issues that have not been addressed by official patches. At least some of those fixes should apply to the Standalone and with the right licensing there is no reason they shouldn't be used.

1.2 million is not just the number of potential sales for DayZ Standalone. It is also the number of people who can potentially help fix the mod.

• Like 2

i wish i was able to be of any help. But sadly. i only know how to play games. not fixing things in them :unsure:

i can see u guys just keep sucking rocket off lol.. it dosent matter anymore no one plays this shitty game anymore! its dying and dying constantly no ones gonna be playing it pretty soon. keep being blind. dont bitch when ur here on the forms looking for people to play with and planning events cause no one plays at all LOL until days makes an appearance in arma3 then we will just see if this game is still a hack-a-thon.

Edited by keyboardcatSS

If I could control peoples perceptions the world would be, well, a rather different place.

Anyway,

1. So what am I supposed to do about it? My thoughts: Fix the issues and communicate the progress. I kind of think that's what I am doing, tbh.

2. If I am doing all I can, and still "loosing potential customers". Does it matter? What should I do? Cry myself to sleep at night? wake up in cold sweats? Or maybe I could just not really bother about what I can't control and focus on making a good game, and communicating with people in a way that makes that game better.

Being constructive doesn't just mean being polite, it means having something purposeful to say.

Okay here's "constructive." When random gamers fix your bugs in a private hive before you do it on the official mod, you're going to get shit for it. And people will question your ability to make a proper product at all.

When you constantly argue ArmA's niche means you can get away with sloppy coding (re: blatant security flaws, shitty UI, horrible desync with < 50 players, horrible physics bugs killing you, etc), you hurt your future sales. I am in software, and it pisses me off to no end when people use budget as an excuse for shitty code. It wouldn't take you MORE time to have coded it right, you just made the MISTAKE of coding it wrong. And you hiding behind a small company or low budget just makes me think I'm in for more of the same with ArmA3/standalone DayZ.

Actually arma.swec also records the players on private servers. One clearly sees that the popularity is sinking:

Big surprise, the fanboys' kneejerk reaction of "NO IT'S JUST PRIVATE HIVES" was complete bullshit.

Edited by SeptusCap

I'm no longer playing DayZ. Better things to do than get killed over and over by script kiddies that were breastfed by their mothers into their twenties.

When you constantly argue ArmA's niche means you can get away with sloppy coding (re: blatant security flaws, shitty UI, horrible desync with < 50 players, horrible physics bugs killing you, etc), you hurt your future sales. I am in software, and it pisses me off to no end when people use budget as an excuse for shitty code. It wouldn't take you MORE time to have coded it right, you just made the MISTAKE of coding it wrong. And you hiding behind a small company or low budget just makes me think I'm in for more of the same with ArmA3/standalone DayZ.

I'm also in software, nothing like games, but production facilities management systems, even though I started for about a year and half, and I quite disagree with this, some parts of it anyway.

When i think rocket throws the low budget excuse, I don't really think he means money, but rather "man-hours".

I can understand the feeling of "this is my baby, it's me who created I'm the one with the vision and only I can push it forward in a way that I am pleased with", as I've already have that feeling myself and it's quite of a double edged knife.

The problem is that people were used to having Rocket to themselves, constantly working on DayZ.

And then came the fame (and hopefully fortune, you quite deserve to get an armored tuned car with spikes on the front with DayZ spray painted on the side, that would be badass), and the stand alone, and the interviews, and the meetings, and the presentations and Rockets time to work on DayZ is very very limited these days.

And yes, some of you guys say DayZ is dead. Well, kinda....

To be honest Rocket, I would have dropped the mod already. Focus the development on the stand alone. I agree with your vision with releasing the mod to the community, as there are very talented people out there that would love to get their hands on it, but this should have happened already. The whole effort on putting dogs in the mod, just seems wasted to me as people would enjoy it only for a few days, before they change to the stand alone because the hacking is just getting ridiculous.

So all that effort, all that time, would actually be wasted.

Yes some of the code will be ported to the stand alone, but I imagine quite a few pieces will need to be changed since you already said you can now manage objects instead of just shifting around strings from place to place (hopefully we will see an increased security because of this, since it's harder to "hack" in a full registered object, as the condition of the gun would need to be communicated to the hive, so you have quite a few areas where you can control hacked weapons now), but a lot of that code would be refactored, as I imagine quite a few features in DayZ mod are just quick and dirty hacks so that they can work somewhat properly, as some of the recent bugs seem to reflect this.

You now have a team dedicated on the stand-alone (well, a few small teams), while you were (and assume you still are) coding and wasting time on the mod. Time that you do not have right now, and to stop all the hacks and issues DayZ mod is having lately, it would need your full attention for a while. So your not giving yourself fully neither to one project, or the other, and I can't say it for the stand alone, since we haven't seen it yet (I'm quite surprised there isn't an army outside the studio trying to break in just the play the stand alone with you guys while your testing xD), but it's hurting the mod quite a bit.

Sorry for the wall of text, and I don't mean to sound negative, but I see a lot of potential for DayZ, and currently is being held back by divided time, hoards of hacker/exploiters, and the community being impatient douche bags that whine and whine without knowing what is going on (Search feature is available ladies and gentlemen), that in the end resort to hacking as well.

Oh and by hacking i mean god modes

, teleport, infinite ammo, medical boxes with all weapons (ffs i see about 5-6 hacked weapons a day, and I don't get to play a whole lot lately).

For those of you that do stuff the likes that I've seen, like a guy just running around playing gangnam style on direct chat while he has speedhack and multicoloured smoke coming out of his ass, making elektro look like a bad disco, well... You can't help but laugh your head off :P

EDIT: quick answer

Big surprise, the fanboys' kneejerk reaction of "NO IT'S JUST PRIVATE HIVES" was complete bullshit.

I'm with on this, as even on private hives there is hacking and griefing. There is no safe place, there are no friendly people, welcome to chernarus.

Edited by CodeOverflow
  • Like 1

I'm not sure you can argue that time has been wasted on trying to implement Dog's. It's been stated that as well as wanting to see how players interact with them they are also just testing the mechanics of NPC's. This information will be carried over into the standalone. Surely being able to monitor and gather information about player behaviour with certain game mechanics is an invaluable asset when developing a game. Also Rocket has stated that he's been doing it in his spare time. Suggesting that the Rocket is neither giving himself fully to one project or the other is a moot point in my opinion because the progress of the standalone development is relying heavily on the information gathered form the mod. It's the perfect testing ground.

Im really happy they wil implement the dogs in this alphatest. It wil bring a whole new experience to the game. But im really worried about how they wil effect a game with so many hackers. Wil the dogs become yet another tool for the hackers to scare more people away from the game? I dont think any normal player would enjoy 50 exploding dogs or whatever spawning around them. Ofcourse its fun the first time you see it. But like every other hack that kills you, it gets old quick.

Hackers can already script in dogs so I'm guessing not much will change there.

On topic, i think that of the 1.2M less than half actually play it regularly.

Yes, + you need to count in the fact that alot of people get banned cause of cheating and buying another CD key. In other words, the same player might be registered 4 times.

Long story short, that 1.2m might just contain about 100,000 unique players on this moment (regarding the fact that a great deal of players quit the game already cause of hackers or other obvious reasons)

Long story short, that 1.2m might just contain about 100,000 unique players on this moment (regarding the fact that a great deal of players quit the game already cause of hackers or other obvious reasons)

I made a graph of your made up statistics:

CqHJU.jpg

• Like 26

This is why i like rocket, just like another normal person in my eyes lol. Beans for ya post

• Like 1

Actually arma.swec also records the players on private servers. One clearly sees that the popularity is sinking:

dayz_popularity.png?1348080496

That wouldn't happen to coincide with the fact that college's/UNI's are just starting another term would it?

At the end of the day i have reached Endgame status, but im happy to play on, i have everything i need, got the chopper, built a good few bases, made a clan, rented a server....

Now its just a case of finding people to fight and not ALT F4 as soon as you fire upon them... had a couple of good fights in Balota last night with some AS50 wielding bandits... wiped them out, someone stole my UAZ at this point, so he got the badass end of my MK48...

Though i have noticed a steep decline in the amount of users on our server recently witch is a shame cos it's very well policed from Hackers and such and we are generally nice to most people we come across, try and help them or take them places etc... wait for them to gear up and become a challenge then start hunting them!

CqHJU.jpg

Hmm, did my boss give you that graph? Looks just like the one our boss shows us everytime salery is up for discusion?!:D That was by far the most funny post yet xD

• Like 1

I'm not sure you can argue that time has been wasted on trying to implement Dog's. It's been stated that as well as wanting to see how players interact with them they are also just testing the mechanics of NPC's. This information will be carried over into the standalone. Surely being able to monitor and gather information about player behaviour with certain game mechanics is an invaluable asset when developing a game. Also Rocket has stated that he's been doing it in his spare time. Suggesting that the Rocket is neither giving himself fully to one project or the other is a moot point in my opinion because the progress of the standalone development is relying heavily on the information gathered form the mod. It's the perfect testing ground.

In theory, and from a point of ambition, absolutely. In practice, the results speak as to the same results you get from manipulation. While research and test data is valuable, The initial surprise and amazing experiences DayZ brought to gaming was the fact it was new, not predicted, and not created out of manipulation based on data that was previously collected.

If I am wrong about how DayZ first started, please correct me.

But what I gather is that rocket had a vision, went to work to actualize it, and the response once he released it to the public was astronimical. It's difficult to take a transition when that's the response you get rather than trying to create a particular response after the fact based on collected data. .

CqHJU.jpg

This shit right here is why I love Rocket and the whole Team! I know whatever changes he has in store for us, it'll be badass! Plus they don't follow any "rules" put forth in the last 20 odd years it seems. Much <3 guys... manly love! :ph34r: