Sign in to follow this  
DeadManWalking2

use raw mouse movement in game

I expect this has already been suggested somewhere before. but Just in case...

the single biggest problem with DayZ (apart from hackers) is the mouse lag, smoothing and negative mouse acceleration.

mouse lag and mouse acceleration are a plague worse than an actual zombie apocalypse that has descended upon the PC gaming platform as games companies try to somehow improve the accuracy of the mouse by utterly destroying it with smoothing, lag and acceleration software. Turning it into a blunt sluggish tool that distances you from game play.

Edit:

I am not a whining noob gamer who doesnt know how to use the controls. Negative mouse acceleration is a terrible thing and is probably THE worst way to simulate gun weight. (because it doesn't) What Negative mouse acceleration means is that slow movements turn the character MORE than fast movements does. as a result it can be nearly impossible to predict just how far the camera/gun is going to turn. Making it impossible to aim with any degree of accuracy (for anyone used to playing with high mouse sensitivity it is all the more noticable)

A better way to simulate gun weight would be to institute a maximum camera turn speed towards where the mouse pointer is telling the game to point to.

I am a pritty decent instinctive shot with any gun I have so far laid my hands on and I can say with utmost confidence that I am a better shot in real life than DayZ will currently allow me to be in game.

to make a good mouse to game interface is ridiculously easy. simply use the raw mouse movement data to move the camera, then add the gun wobble on top (nothing else). It's fast, responsive and immersive. Resulting in a much better gameing experience.

If the games company wants to add limitations to the speed at which a gun can be whizzed around there are better ways than destroying the responsiveness of the camera.

Edited by DeadManWalking2
  • Like 4

This is not CoD where you have an overlay that looks like a weapon, you actually move a body and a weapon model in game.

there is "lag" swinging a firearm due to weight as there should be. if you just want to scan a different direction to check something, thats what freelook using the Alt key is for. there is no delay and its very smooth. if you cant be bothered to hold down the Alt key, just rebind it and stop whining

there is "lag" swinging a firearm due to weight as there should be. if you just want to scan a different direction to check something, thats what freelook using the Alt key is for. there is no delay and its very smooth. if you cant be bothered to hold down the Alt key, just rebind it and stop whining

I am not a whining player. nore am I a noob who doesn't know the controls. The guns have weight argument doesn't fly with me because of the whole Negative mouse acceleration thing. (It's the worst way to simulate gun weight I can think of) To those out there who don't know what negative mouse acceleration is It means slow movement results in more turn distance than fast movements. This is a TERRIBLE thing because it means that even on fine movement knowing how far the gun will move is almost impossible. making hitting a moving target with any degree of accuracy harder than if I were wielding a real life gun.

Try this, it'll help: Go to documents, Arma 2, open Arma2 and Arma2oa with notepad. Find GPU_MaxFramesAhead and change the number to 1. Find GPU_DetectedFramesAhead and change the number to 1. Do this in both Arma2.cfg and Arma2oa.cfg. Open the game. Go to controls. Turn off smoothing. It won't fix it, but it will help dramatically.

Try to play without the benefits of muscle memory :)

In arma things are a tad different, in the sense that there isn't a character glued to a free aiming camera, doing anything movement related takes time.

there is no lag because of weapons weight. if there was, then as-50 and ak would feel different, but they are not.

it just bad implementation of mouse controls, and game`s pace isn`t an excuse for it.