Sign in to follow this  
Lights Out

Loot in the DayZ Standalone

Did a quick search but didn't see anything. This is a rather simple suggestion so I'll keep it short. It's more of a suggestion for aesthetics rather than a feature.

I never liked loot piles being all over the floor in one spot of buildings. I know this was definitely a restriction of the MOD so I'd suggest something a little different for the standalone.

If you make objects actionable, maybe put loot piles in more realistic areas. If it was a hospital they'd be in the cabinets and such, shelves. If it's in a home, food may be in a cabinet/fridge while a gun may be in a closet/gun cabinet/trunk. I think you get the gist of what I'm saying. If it's loot specific to the area, have it spawn in realistic parts of the house/building so you actually have to look around.

The way loot piles look currently should only be for loot that players drop.

Edited by Lights Out
  • Like 6

This Idea is old as the mod itself. but I still agree with it.

Totally agree.

You should never know exactly where to look for loot inside of buildings.

There should always be that thought of, "I'm missing something... I have to keep looking... But I shouldn't stay here..."

• Like 2

Totally agree.

You should never know exactly where to look for loot inside of buildings.

There should always be that thought of, "I'm missing something... I have to keep looking... But I shouldn't stay here..."

Yes, that's exactly what I'm going for. I want to bring that tension and fear into more parts of the game, maybe increase it. As you described it, that is exactly what this would do. I want you to go into buildings and constantly question if you have checked every place, as you probably would in real life when scavenging for supplies. Constantly wonder if you're taking too much time and if someone is watching you, wondering if someone will walk in on you.

Edited by Lights Out
  • Like 1

instead of spawning loot piles, it can spawn searchable locations, which may or may not result in loot once searched (which takes time), which takes time. Drawers, cabinets, boxes, closets etc etc

by 'it' I mean the SA

Edited by John Spectre

I like it. I always thought the white medic boxes in the barracks should contain some kind of bandages or medicine

I actually like the way loot piles up the way it does, it appeals to the RPG lover in me

What RPG puts your loot in a huge pile on the floor? That doesn't make any se--

Oh, right, Diablo.

I agree on this, there was at least one thread about the same idea but I think it died?

I like this, something like in fallout?

I like this idea. I think it would add to the suspense, if you're trying to quickly go through cabinets before someone else enters the same building.

It would be more interesting than entering a room, scanning, and quickly deciding whether or not I even want anything that's in there.

The containers would also help fill up those houses. Those empty houses make me sad.

Nice idea, it would also be a bit more real. I mean, seriously, who has weapons laying around on his floor?

I agree on this, there was at least one thread about the same idea but I think it died?

I like this, something like in fallout?

I would definitely love and prefer loot to be just like fall out. You would physically open cabinets, drawers, storage containers, etc. etc. and actually see the equipment within it instead of a separate screen popping up. You then put your cross hairs over it and press the action button to pick it up. Loot could be in a plethora of places, both in plain site and hidden so you really have to look and scan the buildings.

If this route wasn't taken, I would at least want a skyrim-esque loot style. Loot would still be within various places but you would have engage the actionable storage container and your standard item screen would pop up showing what you have and what you can pick up.

Regardless, I feel items need to be in their proper spots or at least put away with some random stuff on counters/tables maybe. Not just have loot laying in the middle of the room. I much rather the fallout way but I'd be happy with either.

Edited by Lights Out

I am absolutely enjoying all of these suggestions. Skyrim is one of my all-time favorite games so anything in DayZ that pays tribute to it I am in full support of. Aside from a lot more places to look for loot ( both logical and not ) , I feel EVERY building should have an explorable interior. As in Skyrim, anything you saw you new you could go inside and see whats up. Too many times have I risked permadeath through dozens of Zeds to get to a building and dig around some only to find out the structure is completely cosmetic. TOO many times.

Also, I've only played a couple times and never explore the same building in consecutive games... but I've heard people say things like: "there should be a hatchet in the petrol station" and "Lets go to the top of the firehouse and see if the AK is there!". Is loot not randomized??? If not than it SHOULD be. It would increase the suspense, never knowing what loot you'll get from where and also, more importantly, encourage players to run different routes every once in a while instead of the same old repetitive routines. "Lets go to Point A to get Item B and go set up camp at Location C!" <-- where's the fun in that game after game???

Edited by jdu82

i already suggested the idea of loot spawning in cabinets and shelves i dont know about anyone else though