PAiN512

Item duping/hacking

Hello DayZ brothers.

I have a question regarding Item Duping and/or Hacking.

I'm what is considered a noob to ARMA2 and DayZ as I purchased the game simply to play the mod a few weeks ago now.

I like to think I familiarized myself with the game fairly well to the point where I can easily answer newcomers' questions by memory; However, I have no idea what should be or not be in the game regarding items or vehicles....

I have read in various places as well as have been told via chat and by other DayZ players that if you pick up a duped or hacked item/vehicle that should not be in the game you will be banned without question.

My question is... how am I supposed to know what is supposed and not supposed to be in the game? Even if I had a huge list of items that are "acceptable", it would be impossible to remember them all by heart and I cannot be alt+tabbing to check the list for confirmation every time I run across loot or a dead body.

This frightens me because I don't want to come across a dead player body or kill a player myself only to think I hit the jackpot after finding some awesome sniper rifle or equipment tool of some kind only to find it was hacked into the game somehow and I was banned without even knowing what I was doing.

If this is the way situations like these are handled, by just banning without question then I would say this is a serious problem to new players who have no idea such as myself.

Can anyone please touch on this subject?

I would like to note that this has NOT happened to me so I am not QQ'ing, I would just like to know in order to avoid such things if possible.

=======

Several have suggested that I some how memorize the 'official' DayZ weapons wiki to confirm whether a weapon is valid or not found here:

http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Weapons

However, I think we can all agree how terrible it would be to have to alt+tab out of the game just to confirm down the list of weapons to make sure it's okay. This would expand to being more trouble some when it involves weapons, items and vehicles if you had to constantly alt+tab out.

Furthermore, the wiki page can be edited by anyone thus not being completely secure and the page is said to be official yet it clearly shows UNOFFICIAL.

I did further investigation on the wiki page and came across this log by a moderator:

"Incorrect data is being added

Copenhagen and m4a1 holo sd dont exist in the game

mp5sd is duplicated, we really need to do something about this, the site is being abused by people who dont know what they are talking about, i sometimes think that its done just to troll me :/

I protected the page so only admins can modify it to prevent abuse. I'll remove the Copenhagen, and I'll check the M4A1 Holo SD (since I think it's a valid weapon). The problem with the MP5SD is known and we're trying to fix it, since it's a database problem. - Grezvany13 02:54, 8 June 2012 (MDT)

I deleted the "M4A1 Holo SD" page - sEi (Talk) 05:47, 8 June 2012 (MDT)"

This doesn't really strike confidence in my mind for using such a tool.

Can anyone of knowledge and authority please please please address my question.

-Thank you

• Like 1

This is a really good question.

Especially, as like 90% of DayZ players never visit the forums, how should they know that picking up some guns gets them killed. They probably don't even know what duping/hacking means, or that it is possible in DayZ

Well you don't have to memorize every weapon and vehicle that spawns ingame to know if you should have it or not, chances are if you find a weapon on the ground it's 99% likely to be one that's legitimately ingame as most people who hack in the weapons will likely pick them up to kill others. Just try to memorize (or write down) the weapons and vehicle names that are rare to very rare. If you come across a vehicle in game that has weapons (minus the 1H heli) it's hacked. Also if you find a good weapon on the floor that's not in a normal loot spot it's a good indicator that it's a suspicious weapon and should be looked into before taking.

Just try and look at chat, if there's a hacker in a server chances are people in that server already know about it and are warning others about him/her. Just leave that server and go to another or just don't loot weapons your not 100% sure on when looting corpses.

Well now we have 3 people who know how to handle suspicious weapons.

But that doesn't change the problem that surely over 50% of all players don't even know that there is such a thing as suspicious weapons.

If I would have found a tank chilling in the forest a week earlier, I would've not thought a thing about it and considered it a lucky find.

I just want to say that perma-banning people with "duped/hacked" weapons in their gear isn't the solution because it may and will hit innocents.

Honestly I think if people are to lazy to come to the forums to find out what's what and read input it's there own fault.

Alright folks I'm a little freaked out right now because I killed a player in the NE Airfield this morning and I happened to come across an M16A2 M203. I cross referenced the list of weapons off the wiki and it showed the weapon listed so I took it thinking it should be fine.

I then decided I would go into the Single Player editor to get some practice with using and firing the weapon so I'm not a totally noob with it. Well unless I made a mistake the weapon I picked up is labeled as M16A2GL for the command I insert into the editor to spawn with it. I could be wrong, this is my first time ever using the editor and I have a total of maybe 5min experience with using it.

Anyway, I typed in to spawn with the M16A2GL into the SPeditor and the weapon does not look the same at all. It's tan/brown in color for one and it had a scope. The one I found in game and have in the game is black and has no scope as seen in the wiki. I could have picked the wrong item to enter in the SPeditor but that's beyond the point....

I'm just really confused. Can anyone tell me if I have picked up a legitimate weapon or not? I don't want to get in trouble and if I need to drop it, then I will do so immediately.

Image Album:

http://imgur.com/a/cICKx#27ZuO

Please don't troll me, I'm kinda worried.

Need some serious feedback.

-Thank you

The M16A2 M203 that's grey is the one you get legit in DayZ. It might be from a different expansion pack than the one you spawned in singleplayer is from.

Honestly, this really isn't worth worrying over. As you play the game more you'll become accustomed to what you will and won't find - and, frankly, I wasn't even aware that this was a problem. I have never seen a player with a weapon he shouldn't have - even hackers seem to use legit guns (albeit with infinite ammo and an aimbot).

If you pick up a gun that seems peculiar, eyeball the weapons section of the DayZ Wiki - simple as, really. There are quite a few handy guns in-game, though, so it's not as though any gun that isn't a piece of shit is hacked into the game. I've had DMRs, Barrets, M4A3 CCOs, naked M16s, Colts, G17s, M9s, etc., etc., etc.

Ahh the good ol' arma engine going mainstream and showing all it's flaws haha.

Remember that this mod is in "ALPHA" cant start banning innocent people for picking up guns/equipment when they don't even know what there doing wrong just try to enjoy the mod as best as possible cause Rocket is doing an amazing job

"I have read in various places as well as have been told via chat and by other DayZ players that if you pick up a duped or hacked item/vehicle that should not be in the game you will be banned without question."

Could some Admin/Forumadmin pls confirm that? If thats true that would be one of the baddest ideas for a dupe/hacked weapon protection ever. If i kill a player and take his gun i wont check it if its a weapon i'm allowed to use, aaand i often do not have the time for that either. How about: let the Weapon vanish? A loot check when the person dies as example...

I somehow duped a water canteen by accident the other day, and I have no idea how it happened. I was filling the canteen at a dam slight north of Stary Sobor, and next moment I've got two canteens in my inventory. I simply dropped both the original and the dupe somewhere safe where nobody else was bound to .

I would have been rather miffed had my account been banned for it, because it was honestly an accident and I don't even know how I did it in the first place. Makes you wonder, if it happens unintentionally like that, how many people have been banned for having duped items by accident?

If Rocket truly said that then I can feel a bit of relief but server admins can ban people at will for any reason they see fit :-\. There doesn't seem to be a end all be all answer and consequence and this is still Alpha so I'll just have to trust that issues like this will be properly addressed in due time.

It is scary though.

this could be fixed by a simple server side script.

each time a player pick's-up some loot let the script check if it's a legit or an illigal weapon(item), and after the check you can let the weapon(item) be put in the inventory, or make it vanish with a pop-up msg-box telling the player the item has been removed due it's illigal properties.

a script like that should be no problem for those who created DayZ.

just a suggestion.

This is a amra2 and bettleeye problem I don't think the dayz team can do much to help.

they can't fix the duping i agree, but they can see if someone uses a banned weapon otherwise they would not be able to ban someone, so they could make a server-side script that removes those weapons instead of banning the unaware player.

it would be more appropriate to do if you ask me, but like i said, it's just a suggestion.

they can't fix the duping i agree' date=' but they can see if someone uses a banned weapon otherwise they would not be able to ban someone, so they could make a server-side script that removes those weapons instead of banning the unaware player.

it would be more appropriate to do if you ask me, but like i said, it's just a suggestion.

[/quote']

I completely agree

Coincidence that a bot should bump this topic now...

I got kicked and banned from a server last night for carrying a hacked weapon. I suppose ignorance isn't really a defence but I honestly didn't know it was hacked in (It was some variation of the M16, of which there is a bewildering array for the non-military nerds). I was happily using it when I saw a message on the server chat warning me to drop it or face a kick/ban. So I dropped it. I was then kicked and banned anyway. Which was disappointing cos I'd just dumped most of my gear in a temporary camp. So there I was, in the middle of Vibor, most of my gear gone and no primary weapon. I had to get a couple of friends to go and grab the stuff from my camp and bring it to me.

So, yeah, great idea kicking & banning folk for hacked/duped weapons but it'd be nice to be given more of a heads-up. Seemed a bit harsh.

Honestly I think if people are to lazy to come to the forums to find out what's what and read input it's there own fault.

No deal.

The onus is on the game developers to stop creating blatantly insecure games.

I'm playing the game. As a new player, if I were to alt-tab out of the game and look up the color, shape, and quality of every tin can I picked up, I'd have quit from boredom the same day.

Even if I were browsing the wiki or forums and reading about the different guns and vehicles out there, I'd be damned if I would care to remember every single one to mentally cross-reference against in the game.

When you find an item, the process works like this:

1) See item or browse inventory on dead body: "Wow look at that. I could use that."

2) Do I have room for it?

3) Can I make room for it?

4) Is someone watching me?

5) Grab and RUN

A new player does not have time to figure out what's legal or not, because to them, everything is brand new.